Forums
Posted By: The_Monk Noise and nuisance issues - 6th May 2011 3:07pm
can anyone give me advise please.
me and my wife live and rent a house privately and are having problems with nuisance neighbours, two in fact who have children.

we first asked the children numerous times to stop making noise outside our house and in the end after about five times of asking they just stared at us like we were aliens.

i then approached one of the mothers and asked f they could ask them to stop making the noise outside our house and all she said was "you wait till the summer if you think its bad now"

not what i wanted to hear.

So i then contacted one of the landlords from one of the houses who belongs to REGENDA and they have told me they cannot do anything and its down to myself and my wife to contact our own landlord.

three days ago i got the police involved and waiting for them to visit the two properties and advise them at the weekend.

can anyone tell me if this s right and it is down to our own landlord to sort out?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 6th May 2011 3:13pm
I guess it depends if what the childeren are doing could be described as being anti social?

Kids will be kids, and do make noise when they play. Unfortunatly, unless they are making the noise at unsocial times, or are causing damage, or trespassing then I think there may be nothing that can be done frown
Posted By: The_Monk Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 6th May 2011 3:19pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
I guess it depends if what the childeren are doing could be described as being anti social?

Kids will be kids, and do make noise when they play. Unfortunatly, unless they are making the noise at unsocial times, or are causing damage, or trespassing then I think there may be nothing that can be done frown

thanks for your reply.
the kids are a nightmare they have broken trees down and done a good job of it as there is not even a root left, they climb all over residents cars screaming outside peoples front door banging there bikes against the sides of peoples house as they know the people will come out.

The mother of one house just doesn't care and she as a girl who must be no more than 4 and she is out in the road in her pajamas at all hours of the day and night and even gone 12 at night. (the police were interested in this info and said social services would be interested)

we have a lot of flowers put in around our road and they kick the heads of them all, its just one thing after another.
Posted By: carole696 Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 6th May 2011 3:20pm
all i can say is good luck i had a simular problem with one of my neughbours who i used to be good friends with we had a fall out and things went terribly wrong she was playing loud music all day from 7 in the morning to late at night i reported her to the housing and she recieved a letter nothink more it got so bad i went looking at private houses to move into i didnt want to move but felt i had no choice i had my car window smashed my son got jumped but because we could prove it was to do with her i couldnt do a thing in the end she did move away thank god but i know how you feel it was a nightmare for all of us but it could be a long haul for you kids will be kids an if they are only playing and being noisey what caan you realy do remember you was a child yourself once
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 6th May 2011 3:24pm
They sound like utter .... Why do people think that they can just walk all over nice folk. Drives me nuts. Monk i really do eperthasie. I lived next door to alot of people like that. The police cant enforce anything. I lived next door to them for 10 years . totall ... i hope you get it sorted out. The only thing i can say is CCTV cameras to record the anti social behavior and submit it to the police.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 6th May 2011 3:27pm
Originally Posted by JohnLeatherFix
The only thing i can say is CCTV cameras to record the anti social behavior and submit it to the police.

Agreed, but make sure you comply with all the nancy regualtions regarding CCTV - especially if it overlooks more than just your land. It if doesnt comply, the footage will be useless and disregarded frown

Hope you can get it sorted.
Posted By: Silverback Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 6th May 2011 3:29pm
Originally Posted by The_Monk
can anyone give me advise please.
me and my wife live and rent a house privately and are having problems with nuisance neighbours, two in fact who have children.

we first asked the children numerous times to stop making noise outside our house and in the end after about five times of asking they just stared at us like we were aliens.

i then approached one of the mothers and asked f they could ask them to stop making the noise outside our house and all she said was "you wait till the summer if you think its bad now"

not what i wanted to hear.

So i then contacted one of the landlords from one of the houses who belongs to REGENDA and they have told me they cannot do anything and its down to myself and my wife to contact our own landlord.

three days ago i got the police involved and waiting for them to visit the two properties and advise them at the weekend.

can anyone tell me if this s right and it is down to our own landlord to sort out?

Have a word with your landlord, ask him if he has another property in a more civilised (remembering that areas and neighbors are always changing) area, if he has'nt, just move.

You are going to be fighting a long battle to get anything done, society is degenerating, it can only get worse.

Think of your future sanity and just move.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 6th May 2011 3:36pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
Agreed, but make sure you comply with all the nancy regualtions regarding CCTV - especially if it overlooks more than just your land. It if doesnt comply, the footage will be useless and disregarded

I'd be interested on any Sources for that Stuy, other than for court approved evidence it has to be either analogue or digitally signatured. As far as I'm aware there aren't any specific regulations for a home security camera located on private land.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 6th May 2011 3:56pm
If it points at, or covers someone elses property then you need to be careful you dont contravene the Human Rights Act 1998 with respect to privacy rights and the Data Protection Act.

Maybe I should have worded my post differently, and put a few "might's" in there - either way Id check it out first....

This may be useful site, as it talks specifically about nuisance neighbours smile

Here is an example I found on this site:

Mr. Smith at 11 Acacia Avenue has a CCTV system installed which monitors persons accessing his premises. It picks up any visitor as soon as they enter the gate and only captures their images whilst they are on his property.

(a) Mr. Smith is entitled to do this.

(b) He does not need to provide a notice saying that the person is entering a CCTV controlled area.

(c) He is not required to provide a copy of the footage he has captured to the Data Subject if they make a request. However, if that CCTV camera picks up images outside Mr. Smith's premises, such as the entrance to his neighbour's premises or persons walking down Acacia Avenue, then he has to consider the implications of the Data Protection Act.

Posted By: The_Monk Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 6th May 2011 5:55pm
i do have cctv at my front door, not looking on anything else and i cctv warning sign in the window.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 6th May 2011 6:03pm
My solution to the kids..... lamethrower skull
The parents will be gutted tho...think of all the benefits they will lose!!!!
Posted By: Raymondoj Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 6th May 2011 6:47pm
Wirral council have an anti social behaviour team, the info can be found here:

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/my-services/community-and-living/community-safety/anti-social-behaviour

You have reported it to the police which is good. Make sure you keep on top of them make sure they look into it.

Don't let it go keep at it like a dog with a bone. The landlord should also have an anti social behaviour policy. Make sure they know about it and ask what they are going to do about it.
Posted By: davaw1 Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 6th May 2011 7:42pm
How old are the children in question?
Posted By: The_Monk Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 6th May 2011 9:13pm
Originally Posted by davaw1
How old are the children in question?

youngest is no older than four and the oldest is 16.
when the police heard about the youngest being out so late and in pajamas all the time that is when they said social services need to be informed.

so i am presuming they are doing the reporting.
Posted By: Stranger Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 6th May 2011 9:58pm
Your landlord will not be able to do anything as your tenancy agreement will be between you (and your family), and him only.
However, if your problem neighbours have a tenancy agreement with their landlord it is highly likely that they are breaking one or more terms of their agreement, which may be grounds for eviction.
Remember, a lot of landlords can't be bothered evicting tenants unless the trouble directly affects the landlord themself.
Especially if the rent is paid promptly!
It won't do any harm to have a word with your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
Good luck wink
Posted By: davaw1 Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 7th May 2011 11:29am
I have the same problem, but probaly on a larger scale, i've lived in a cul-de-sac for the last 20 years and it was always quiet, but there was a space of land which last year riverside housing accomodation decided to buy and house all the dole scrounging parents that have no job and about 4 children each. With there been 12 households ammounts to alot of children when the children start wrecking property which is what is happening in your case and mine its a diffrent situation, and in my situation the parents have partys till all hours in the morning, I feel for the elder neighbours in my cul-de-sac for the last 50 years and have to put up with this sudden influx of ... (parents im talking about not children) and its so sad the way there is "nothing we can do" about it. I truly believe parents who are not fit to have babies should be sterilized.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 7th May 2011 1:34pm
BUT they NEED loads of kids for their benefits mate, cant you see that?
New one just moved into (rented of course) house over the road from us, few kids, no partner etc. Trouble has started from day one kids throwing gravel (from driveway) at each other and passing cars etc.
A neighbour caught the kids doing this to her car, kids ran inside the house so neighbour went and knocked to tell mother...she didnt give a fook and told neighbour it couldnt have been her kids and shut door!! Funny thing is.. Me and the missus stood there in our doorway OPPOSITE and watched them do it!!! somad
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 7th May 2011 1:39pm
This is all kick back from the easy going parents from earlier decades. Us disciplinarians said it would end in tears and it has, but nobody gave a toss and made excuses for them. It's a sad indictment on our modern society but there it is, blame the do-gooders and the fact that you can get loads of money for knocking out feral kids like it's Vauxhalls production line. God alone knows what the answer is now because the old ways don't work any more.
oldman
Posted By: jimbob Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 7th May 2011 8:04pm
the old saying SPARE THE ROD AND SPOIL THE CHILD. is so true and the proof is among us all now. by that i mean the so called parents of the present day children as well as the kids them selfs The way things are i am glad I have got my 3 score years and ten in.
Posted By: The_Monk Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 7th May 2011 8:35pm
the police have visited the homes today and after they had gone i heard two of the parents saying this is now war on us.

really cannot be doing with the trouble and i have a two week old baby, just spoken to our landlord about leaving and she wants to come and see us on Monday.

We are going to my mothers till we can find another place for now.
I also couldn't believe after the police speaking with the kids one of the parents said after they had gone "ok get ready we are going to Mc Donalds for tea" omg so the police have come about the behavior of your children and your going to take them to McDonalds.
Posted By: Stranger Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 7th May 2011 8:55pm
It is a sad sign of the times and there is usually no solution, at least according to the yoghurt knitting do-gooders of this world.
Kids will be kids, human rights, ADD etc etc.
Complete bollox designed to protect the offender rather than the victim, who usually has to pay through the nose to get any sort of justice.
But please remember, these 'people', and I use that word in the widest possible sense, will have had to have signed some sort of tenancy agreement.
Any agreement worth the paper it's written on will have a clause forbidding the type of behaviour mentioned earlier.
If the tenant or his/her family persists it would be grounds for eviction.
If the landlord does not enforce the terms and conditions of the agreement he/she would also be breaking the terms of the agreement.
So get in touch with the landlord/housing association responsible and complain.
Pester them and become a pain in the arse to them.
They don't like it, trust me.
Keep a diary and records of any witnesses and use it to your advantage.
Don't forget YOU have rights as well !
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 7th May 2011 9:52pm
I feel for you monk, i hope you sort it frown
Posted By: BoozyFloozy Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 7th May 2011 10:04pm
Phone social services, for the little girls sake. She needs protecting. Hopefully if social services get involved the parents will get the wake up call they need. No wonder they have no respect for their neighbours if they dont even now how to treat their kids right. Hope it ends well for you.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 7th May 2011 10:09pm
Originally Posted by BoozyFloozy
Phone social services, for the little girls sake. She needs protecting. Hopefully if social services get involved the parents will get the wake up call they need. No wonder they have no respect for their neighbours if they dont even now how to treat their kids right. Hope it ends well for you.

Welcome to wiki.
I can see these people already having social services involved. Letting their kids out around 12am, what the?
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 7th May 2011 10:13pm
Hope you get it sorted,its so frustrating and stressfull,good luck
Posted By: MikeT Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 8th May 2011 5:10am
Originally Posted by hoseman
BUT they NEED loads of kids for their benefits mate, cant you see that?

About time child benefit was paid for the first child only. I don't see why we should paying people to breed.
Posted By: MikeT Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 8th May 2011 5:19am

It's nothing to do with your landlord (but s/he may be sympathetic and willing to help if you've been there a while and are good tenants). As others have said, you need to go after the other people's landlords, and keep on at them. Keep it calm and factual and try not to let your emotions get in the way.

One very important thing you can do is to keep a diary. Buy one of those diaries with a day to a page and log every instance of antisocial behaviour with times. Show it to the police or to the council's ASBO team so they can see there is a pattern of repeated anti-social behaviour. Encourage your neighbours to do the same.

Good luck. I've been lucky with my neighbours over the years but have heard some real horror stories.
Posted By: The_Monk Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 8th May 2011 3:59pm
thanks so much for all your comments.
last night i heard the mothers speaking outside and one of them said i wouldn't mind if they were screaming and shouting outside there door but there not.

and this is one of the things they are exactly doing.

myself and my wife have had enough it has been exactly the same today and i have just spoken to my landlord and told her we are leaving tomorrow to live with my mother just for now till we find a new place.

We are keeping our property at the current address till we have paid the last rent.

really had enough, there outside as i type in a red car with the music blasting, no parents around.

Posted By: Raymondoj Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 9th May 2011 7:27pm
I told you that both the police and the council have to respond to anti-social behaviour problems.You don't appear to have contacted them. If you move somewhere else and it starts again what are you going to do, keep on running?

Landlords and others have a duty of care and should follow up any complaints.

If you are not prepared to do anything about your problem why would anyone else.

Those who commit anti-social behaviour have won.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 9th May 2011 7:40pm
Funny...I was just thinking...we have websites which unveil local sex offenders. Would be really useful to have a name and shame website for people who behave anti-socially and get away with it.

I can think of a couple I'd like to post up on it. I'm betting that where ever they moved to they are causing misery there too.

I tried ASBO root with the council but it seemed pointless because at the end of the day I'd written over 30 diary sheets and all they could offer to do was go round and 'have a word'. We declined this action because obviously we were getting enough verbal abuse from them and didn't want our property or car damaged.

I was also tempted to play them at their own game, but knew that would probably back-fire as they'd probably then claim we were the ASBOs! I used to have very murderous thoughts and bizarre thoughts, like gluing fish to the undersides of their window sills when it was hot weather, breaking through in the attic, making tiny holes in ceiling and dropping poison (a la Grosse Point Blank raftl ). I even thought about greasing their step raftl

ASBO name and shame.com raftl
Posted By: Stranger Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 9th May 2011 9:46pm
Originally Posted by MissGuided
Would be really useful to have a name and shame website for people who behave anti-socially and get away with it.

There's probably not enough bandwidth in existence for a site like that in the UK raftl wink
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 9th May 2011 9:53pm
Crossing topics a bit, but there are far more people on the sex-offenders register than there are ASBOs
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 9th May 2011 10:02pm
Yes cos there's loads of dirty old men around.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 9th May 2011 10:11pm
Originally Posted by poodlepup
Yes cos there's loads of dirty old men around.
Don't forget the dirty young men, the dirty old women and the dirty young women. think

Anyway, sorry to cross-topic.

If I were you, I'd just move. I know that sounds defeatist, but...

Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 11th May 2011 9:03am
Just found out there's scrotes by us who knock on the wall of the old dear next door just to annoy and upset her, bloody hell. She's lived there for nearly 70 years and she doesn't need that kind of crap. You just know if you say or do anything it would make it worse for her, spineless b.......ds.
Posted By: murdoch Re: Noise and nuisance issues - 10th Jun 2011 2:17pm
the police have visited the homes today and after they had gone i heard two of the parents saying this is now war on us.

really cannot be doing with the trouble and i have a two week old baby, just spoken to our landlord about leaving and she wants to come and see us on Monday.

We are going to my mothers till we can find another place for now.
I also couldn't believe after the police speaking with the kids one of the parents said after they had gone "ok get ready we are going to Mc Donalds for tea" omg so the police have come about the behavior of your children and your going to take them to McDonalds.

It appears you are dealing with some goon family. Considering you are having little kid by you. I will advice you to do what you deem fit. Otherwise I was going to ask you for keeping some healthy dog to take guard of such evil things.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral