Forums
Posted By: The_Monk has anyone not filled there census out? - 15th Apr 2011 1:37am
just wondering if there is anyone who hasnt filled there census out?
i havnt and i have had to notes to say i need to complete the form.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 15th Apr 2011 6:41am
Don't see why people just don't fill it in and send it. As an historian I can see why the Census are important. In 100 years time there will be people wanting to track their ancestors down too.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 15th Apr 2011 7:15am
Some people see it as an invasion of privacy, also with recent blunders from the dvla flogging details etc people have lost faith in handing over personnel imformation.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 15th Apr 2011 7:28am
mine went straight in the bin, when i got it
Posted By: Sanchez Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 15th Apr 2011 7:32am
Originally Posted by willo
mine went straight in the bin, when i got it

Interesting how mine and yours met the same fate raftl
Posted By: StuyMac Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 15th Apr 2011 7:37am
Up to £1000 fine if they chase you up mate omg

I dont see the problem anyways, the info they request isnt sensitive, and most of it they have already.

I think a lot of the info they are gathering is about living habits, not how much info they can store about you and then use against you think
Posted By: Sanchez Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 15th Apr 2011 7:49am
Exactly, They (whoever they are) dont really need that info for our gains do they. And why do they need it so bad to enforce a fine if you dont complete it?
Posted By: Quank Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 15th Apr 2011 8:00am
I think that the figures from the census are also used when the local authorites are given money from government. Therefore the more that dont reply the less money the councils receive.
Posted By: Silverback Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 15th Apr 2011 8:52am
The less that fill it in the less there apears from the figures there are in the country, the more they can allow through the turnstiles at Dover!
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 15th Apr 2011 10:17am
This is true Quanky
Originally Posted by Quank
I think that the figures from the census are also used when the local authorites are given money from government. Therefore the more that dont reply the less money the councils receive.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 15th Apr 2011 12:36pm
You're liable for a total of six visits to encourage you to fill it in and then the heavies will possibly be sent in. At the end of the day it is best to fill it in because the figures are required to organise funding and building. It is anonymous anyway and they can't share names and addresses, they are only interested in the figures. I wish I could afford to risk £1K, but I wouldn't risk it on not filling a form in.
Posted By: The_Monk Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 15th Apr 2011 2:16pm
the only reason i or my wife don't want to fill it in is because last time a gave my details to the job centre plus when i was out of work they past my details on to people who i didn't want to have my address.

so i just dont want this to happen again.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 15th Apr 2011 3:05pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
You're liable for a total of six visits to encourage you to fill it in and then the heavies will possibly be sent in. At the end of the day it is best to fill it in because the figures are required to organise funding and building. It is anonymous anyway and they can't share names and addresses, they are only interested in the figures. I wish I could afford to risk £1K, but I wouldn't risk it on not filling a form in.

Can also be done online, and is generally quicker with less questions.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 15th Apr 2011 3:24pm
Originally Posted by The_Monk
the only reason i or my wife don't want to fill it in is because last time a gave my details to the job centre plus when i was out of work they past my details on to people who i didn't want to have my address.

When they give you a call again have a chat with them, I'm sure they'll put your mind at rest about that, honest. It's better than paying out a grand mate.
Posted By: The_Monk Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 15th Apr 2011 4:08pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Originally Posted by The_Monk

When they give you a call again have a chat with them, I'm sure they'll put your mind at rest about that, honest. It's better than paying out a grand mate.

i have sent them an email for some info. i will let you know what they have to say.
Posted By: sparky Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 15th Apr 2011 4:16pm
It is so much quicker to fill it in online.
Posted By: ahbaldy Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 16th Apr 2011 11:21am
The law says we have to fill it out, doesn't say anything about honest answers so the best thing to do is fill it out online and just say your property is a holiday home. 30 seconds and it misses out all the questions.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 16th Apr 2011 4:21pm
Me.

smile
Posted By: Sanchez Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 16th Apr 2011 6:04pm
What cha gunna do mat when they com knockin? Im considdering Firing up a fat one, and being all philosophical on who's ever arse it is on my door step.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 16th Apr 2011 6:11pm
Summer - they will threaten you until you fold. You gotta join the rest of the "fight the power campain". They are predicting 6-7million not to return as a result in loss of faith in the system holding personel data, and an infrignment about a compulsary form...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 16th Apr 2011 8:15pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Me.

smile

As long as you are going to pay the whole fine, not half of it!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee
Me.

smile

Haha tease nothing to do with me!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 17th Apr 2011 9:39am
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee
Me.

smile

Huh?

I doubt the government are really stupid enough to fine millions of people, alongside giving them criminal records, over a piece of paper - they (both the Conservatives and the Lib-Dems) do have aspirations of staying in power come the next General Election.

Anyone who gives their personal data to a private, American company, is pretty stupid. If I do fill it in, the data will consist of Mickey Mouse lol.

wink
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 17th Apr 2011 2:40pm
I am PRETTY STUPID then
Posted By: bushnut Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 17th Apr 2011 9:53pm
I think everyone is making a big deal about nothing. If you've read the questions, you will see that there is nothing there which is not already in the public domain. If the Government lost (or sold) the information, why would I care? I'm on the electoral roll anyway which lists my name and address.

With an interest in genealogy, I also think it is useful to provide information which will be searchable for hundreds of years after I have gone; useful for anyone wishing to trace their family history.

Nothing to hide = nothing to moan about!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 17th Apr 2011 10:00pm
The US Government will have already collected more information about you than the British Government has, its unlikely the Census could add anything.

When I applied for a Visa, the Americans asked for proof of some information that (as it turned out), no longer existed in this country.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 18th Apr 2011 8:07am
Originally Posted by bushnut
I think everyone is making a big deal about nothing. If you've read the questions, you will see that there is nothing there which is not already in the public domain. If the Government lost (or sold) the information, why would I care? I'm on the electoral roll anyway which lists my name and address.

With an interest in genealogy, I also think it is useful to provide information which will be searchable for hundreds of years after I have gone; useful for anyone wishing to trace their family history.

withthat
Posted By: Anonymous Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 18th Apr 2011 8:42am
Originally Posted by bushnut

Fully agree.

For those who are still 'paranoid' about Government conspiracy I will make available tin foil hats!! grin
Posted By: MattLFC Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 18th Apr 2011 9:03am
It's not about government conspiracy, its about living in a world where government funded organisations don't give a shit about the security of peoples private data, and giving it to a private US company, you just know they are going to sell it on.

If they just need it for statistics, why don't request the data anonymously, why do they need peoples names, addresses and date of birth, all data which can be used to steal someone's identity.

I'm careful about my data, the government warn us constantly about the threat of ID theft, and then they ask us to give it to a private US company, to use as they please.

There are plenty of other issues I have with the Census as well, including the cost of such a pointless programme, when they are quite likely to be cutting front-line services to reduce government/public spending, the hundreds of millions would be better spend on protecting the police force and NHS imho. I also question why we are employing a US company to carry out the work, how about backing a UK company and generating millions of pounds profit for them? In addition to this, the data is already there on existing government databases (electoral role, council tax, PNC, DWP, DVLA etc), so there is no actual reason for the data to be collected anyway, other than for sentimental reasons (oh, the year ends in 1, lets have a jolly good census). The general consensus seems to be that the 2011 census will be the final census anyway, so why waste the money at a time when we least have the money to waste?

Just remember, when they are pulling frontline services, £500m was wasted on a pointless survey, that has practically zero benefit to the nation and/or economy, that will be out of date before the statistics are eventually evaluated and published in 3 years time, and that basically collected data already available to the government if only they had the brains to gather it from pre-existing databases.

As for the genealogy argument, bollocks to it, my cousin has got out family tree back to the 1500's iirc, and afaik the first census was in 1801 (and didn't contain most of the shite found in the present census) - so that's proof for me that you don't need a census to trace a family tree. Also, when they are pulling front-line services, all you genealogy freaks, can sit there with a big smile on your face, safe in the knowledge that throughout all the cuts, your precious Census data was protected and you great great great grandchildren will be able to find out all about you in 100 years time.

smile
Posted By: Neil_c Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 25th Apr 2011 4:16pm
They are quite persistent in calling round if you haven't filled it in. I'd never bother telling them I'm not planning on doing it, pretending that I'm just doing contracting building work or babysitting when they call round seems to do the trick. Alternative excuses are "i've just posted it off" - well the royal mail could have lost it (as it doesn't request return via registered post). After all the letter is addressed to "the occupier" - I'm not sure who "the occupier" is and I don't open post that isn't addressed to me.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 25th Apr 2011 8:39pm
There are loads of good videos on youtube of people dealing with the Census callers (just search for "census"). All the calls at this time appear to be to ascertain if "the occupier" is or is not prepared to complete it.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 25th Apr 2011 9:05pm
try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Jkyt3ljrg&feature=related

Posted By: Anonymous Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 26th Apr 2011 7:43am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSrTSa2AX3k&feature=related
Posted By: misssparky Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 26th Apr 2011 9:55pm
Neil .......Brilliant!! smile
Posted By: tankrat22 Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 27th Apr 2011 7:01am
sorry to veer off the subject, but i think this link is AMAZING, eye opening in fact.
log on to, tpuc.org/ scroll down to Recently E-mailed. view
"Wirral council admits that......"
Posted By: Neil_c Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 27th Apr 2011 7:43pm
my mate battles with Wirral over his Council tax bill every year. They will just take the money out your wages through a deduction of earnings order in Court no matter what your defence is. The only people who can get way with not paying are the self employed (who obviously won't action a DOE on themselves).
Posted By: MattLFC Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 28th Apr 2011 8:31am
Interesting website - http://www.lawfulrebellion.org/2011/02/22/2011-census-rebellion/

If there is truth in what they are posting on that site, 1.5m people failed to return their Census forms in 2001 yet only 38 were ever fined.

The odds seem stacked in the rebels favour!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 28th Apr 2011 12:07pm
A friend of mine composted hers.
When they come knocking, she gave them a mouthful about the Palastines and the Jews.
Also, the fact (?) that the processing company, allegedly, has funded landmines.
They scarpered...
Posted By: tankrat22 Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 29th Apr 2011 8:47am
never mind census resistance, have a look at this and related links,Brilliant. ...www tvlicenceresistanceinfo/
Posted By: The_Monk Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 1st May 2011 7:59pm
Originally Posted by tankrat22
never mind census resistance, have a look at this and related links,Brilliant. ...www tvlicenceresistanceinfo/

website doesnt work
Posted By: TheDr Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 1st May 2011 8:06pm
Try this

TV
Posted By: Helles Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 3rd May 2011 10:43am
A few facts. The census is not an invasion of privacy. We have been filling them in since 1841. It is purely a fact finding mission to enable Governments to budget for each area. i.e. the building of schools, hospitals etc.

As previously stated, it is an invaluable aid to family historians and all details are secret for one hundred years. Possibly with one or two exceptions we will all be dead by then so why are people so bothered?

Also it has been stated that most of the information is out there already and you would be surprised at what can be found out about you at the local library. I think some people are just naturally suspicious and I would suggest that perhaps they have something to hide?

Finally, before you get all bolshie and start picking on the poor sods that are knocking on your doors, think on this. They are just ordinary people who have been given a couple of months work and are not Government employed. My son is one of them. He informs me that the powers that be are going to rigorously enforce the fines this time so don't say you haven't been warned.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 6th May 2011 10:58am
Thought I was going to get the job of going round myself, got knocked back. Probably because of my age, bit of a barsteward after going thru the recruitment and testing rigmarole. Don't know if I mentioned it before but one question was "Have you done any team work?" I said that I had done 34 years in the forces, Navy and RAF and then I was asked if that involved any team work. Er, I think so.
Either way, they will call round 6 times and then call in the Feds. Like I said before, if you can spare £1000 then fair enough, don't fill it in if you're feeling bolshy. Personally I'd fill it in.
Posted By: SpecialK Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 6th May 2011 11:19am
Osama Bin Laden didn't fill his in & look who came knockin on his door!

Be warned.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 8th May 2011 2:09pm
I found this to be an interesting site: http://www.nocensustakingpart.co.uk/

It seems the best advice is just to do nothing and just say your not the owner of the house or just visiting. This gives the Census caller nothing to go on, they can't determine if you are or are not willing to fill out the form or if you did or did not receive it or post it back.

I don't mind providing information where it has a relevance, such as my DOB for pension entitlement or my address to the likes of my employer for correspondance purposes, but my sexual orientation, religous beliefs or who stays in my house is nobody else's business but my own. I can't see what benefit that kind of information provides.
Posted By: Volly Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 8th May 2011 2:50pm
I filled mine in and it got sent back to me.

When they asked if I had any dependants, I put:

Asylum seekers ...

Unemployable layabouts ...

Anyone who appears on Jeremy Kyle ...

The Chairman of the Royal Bank of Scotland and other banks...

Anyone born in Eastern Europe ...

Apparently this is not an acceptable answer.
Posted By: SirTankWelder Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 28th Aug 2011 10:53am
well its nearly september and i didnt fill out my census form .2 visits off the goons and no visits off the non compliance occiffers.....

No summons and no government agency has my info .....Happy Days
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 28th Aug 2011 9:18pm
Bushnut I agree with your comments.
Posted By: red_devil Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 9th Sep 2011 10:49am
if you didnt fill it in then you must have had a knock on the door by now, and how much were you fined. Its illegal NOT to fill it in
Posted By: ex0__ Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 9th Sep 2011 11:08am
This isn't true. I didn't fill mine in, nothing happened.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 9th Sep 2011 11:10am
Same here i didn t ither!!
Considering Councils and Government are looking for money at the moment, why aren't they calling in these debts from people who are committing offences instead of cutting services for the law abiding members of the community?
Posted By: ex0__ Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 9th Sep 2011 11:40am
I don't owe a 'debt' to anyone. And the reason they haven't started annoying people yet with these census requests is probably because they are too busy making databases on the sheep that did fill it in.

That or they have lost the info for the 2011 census and they are busy trying to find it or something..
I suppose you prefer lawless anarchy then?
People who do not sign up will end up on an exclusive list with no hiding place. Defeats the object if you ask me.I got a book out of the library some years ago and went on a list of interested people because of the subject matter.I think, it is impossible to get under the radar of the establishment looking ordinary does't mean you have to think that way.
Posted By: Boogles Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 9th Sep 2011 12:42pm
There were 38 prosecutions in 2001 for failing to fill out the form.

Odds suggest if you don't fill it in then you're probably not going to be prosecuted. If you're so worried then I would fill it in, shred it, and then post it back. You've done what they asked.

Kind regards,
Ian
Posted By: lauralou2 Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 9th Sep 2011 1:29pm
didnt fill mine in either and no consequences as of yet!!!!
Posted By: ex0__ Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 9th Sep 2011 1:30pm
Your name suits you. smile
Posted By: lauralou2 Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 9th Sep 2011 1:35pm
tin foil hat over here please ha
Posted By: Tombraider Re: has anyone not filled there census out? - 9th Sep 2011 2:47pm
Originally Posted by lauralou2
tin foil hat over here please ha
laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral