Forums
Posted By: sarahdavo landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 10:07am
hi we moved into a run down house but the rent was cheep so we put up with rotten carpets, cat wee smell, rotten out house, toilet doesnt flush properly, a big hole in one of the bedroom floors, rotten window frames , single glazing, rotten floor in kitchen,etc butthe only thing we asked for befor we moved in was that the rubbish be removed from the bottom of the garden, and the letting agent told us this would be done. we have been here nearly 12 months and the rubbish has still not been removed. we have informed the letting agent valentines that the rear wall of the garden is also not safe and the brick built shed is also not safe. We have erected a windbreaker around the bottom of the garden to stop the children going down ther, as im sure its an environmental hazard let alone not safe.

I sent an email to valentines a fortnight ago with pictures of the rubbish and shed, i was told by somebody in the office they were going to write a strong letter to the landlord, and give hime a fortnight to respond and do something, well that fortnight is up on monday and ive heard nothing from the letting agent or the landlord.

what can i do

sarah
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 10:10am
couldnt find the upload manager to put pics up
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 10:27am
this is a copy of the letter i sent valentines

I have attached pics, of the rubbish at the bottom of the garden, and the unsafe brick shed with rubbish just spewing out of it. You can clearly see how we have attempted to partition that part of the garden of, by using wind breaks, so that the children dont go in ther.

This is a big job, its dangerous and probly an environmental health hazard.

As i stated on the phone we have been very patient, we asked that this rubbish be removed when we took the tenancy on. The house is quite shabby and needs a lot of work, it needs new carpets and bathroomm floor covering, ther is ahole in one of the bedroom floors were a toilet used to be,the boiler keeps shutting off as the pressure drops below 1 on the dial,to make it work you have to turn the tap under the boiler to flush more water into the system to make the dial go up to 3, the toilet has a rubbish flush on it, the single glazing is not draught proof and totally ineffective in the cold winter months, the wooden transoms look rotten in places and definatly need painting or replacing, the lean to attached to the kitchen is smelly and probly needs taking down, all the local tom cats like to use it as a toilet, but we havent pesterd for any of those things, but im most insistent that this mess at the bottom of the garden gets sorted out now.

We have decorated the lounge, dining room, and 2 bedrooms, and downstairs hall and part way up the stairs, we have put laminate floor in the dining room, and put new floor tiles in the kitchen, unfortunatly the floor tiles arnt very succeful, as the base to the kitchen floor is unevan, and slightly rubbly. we are disenclined to do anymore work on the house as its not ours, and the landlord doesnt seem too botherd about the state of his property.

could you just send an email to say you have received the pics thanks

many thanks

Posted By: sarahdavo Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 10:32am
https://cid-cb4d56a8685874e2.photos...hotos&wa=wsignin1.0&sa=998137221

Posted By: rocks Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 10:36am
get intouch with environmental health, if the rubbish is bad it will attract mice/rats, if it hasnt already and you've got kids,also the walls not safe, the environmental health will then get intouch with the landlord and demand him to carry out the required work (got this info from a law book)
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 10:41am
If the wall backs onto a public right of way (eg road, park or Entry) then tell the council - they come and inspect it and if necessary will condemn it as unsafe and get in touch with the owner to demand repair.

If it backs onto private property I'm not so sure the council get involved, though I know a case recently where they did with Housing Association property.

THIS link should help - sorry I haven't read it myself as yet.

Posted By: rocks Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 10:48am
just read the letter you sent the agency... you seem very nice people but sometimes we can be too nice and too patient! if nothing else is done by next week tell the landlord you will sort it out and you'll get the rubbish removal people to send him the bill in his name as the house is in his name and the rubbish was there before you! it may shock him, goodluck!!
Posted By: Capt_America Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 11:01am

Link doesn't work, says photos aren't shared.
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 1:38pm
sorry im not sure how to upload pics, as the file manager doesnt come up on this thread, poll manager is in its place.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 1:46pm
Originally Posted by sarahdavo
sorry im not sure how to upload pics, as the file manager doesnt come up on this thread, poll manager is in its place.
Upload manager is immediately below poll manager.
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 1:49pm
its not on her, below pole manager is a box and beside that add this to my thread and below that a box and add this to my signature, for some reason its not on here
Posted By: The_Monk Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 4:13pm
Originally Posted by sarahdavo
its not on her, below pole manager is a box and beside that add this to my thread and below that a box and add this to my signature, for some reason its not on here

cant upload pictures in this section i wanted to in my topic but couldnt.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 4:20pm
I can, if you email me the pictures, I'll post them on here. Email is on my profile.
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 4:27pm
how cum some people can and some people cant post pics via upload manager. have sent you email diggingdeeper.

sassy
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 5:02pm
Pictures can be seen HERE
Posted By: Maisie Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 7:16pm
OMG!!! Enviromental Health need to see that mess...If you get nowhere with them...Try the Health And Safety Executive, their local office is in Bootle. I'm sure they'll have something to say about it. Email the photos to them!

Posted By: cathie Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 7:57pm
Have you been in touch with your local councillors? Try Frank Field too, your landlord sounds a right t**t
Posted By: The_Monk Re: landlord not bother d - 9th Apr 2011 8:42pm
can i be cheeky and ask how much you are paying per month?
Posted By: cathie Re: landlord not bother d - 10th Apr 2011 5:40am
Originally Posted by cathie
Have you been in touch with your local councillors? Try Frank Field too, your landlord sounds a right t**t

Further to my last comment, if you hear nothing from the landlord/letting agent after your stated 2 weeks I would email them again (maybe tomorrow) and tell them you will be getting in touch with your local councillors and seeking legal advice, tell them you will pass them the details of your solicitors in due course. Just might be scary enough for them to shift their arses. If not then I would seek a solicitor and your local free papers.

Good luck
Posted By: hoseman Re: landlord not bother d - 10th Apr 2011 7:13am
You all forget the magic words people....LOCAL PAPERS!!!!
Field day for them...just try telling them that and see how fast it is all cleared!
Mention the condition of the house as well, sure some remedial work would get done too!
Bollox to councillors etc unless they are up for re-election, then its only broken promises!
Just dont tell the council its a historic building or one of interest as it will be pulled down and re-developed!!!LOL
Posted By: Anonymous Re: landlord not bother d - 10th Apr 2011 7:41am
See my responses here;

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...009/landlord_help_please.html#Post499009

Happy to draft a letter if needs be.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: landlord not bother d - 10th Apr 2011 10:13am
Your telling me that valentines put that up for rent, with all that crap. i find that very hard to belive. Some of that rubbish looks newer than a year old. i would of not moved in in the first place if that was the case...
Posted By: Sanchez Re: landlord not bother d - 10th Apr 2011 10:23am
you need to switch to full reply screen to be able to see the upload section.
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: landlord not bother d - 10th Apr 2011 1:05pm
Originally Posted by The_Monk
can i be cheeky and ask how much you are paying per month?

£495 per calender month, the rent is cheep i imagine it reflects the state of the place.
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: landlord not bother d - 10th Apr 2011 1:09pm
Originally Posted by _jase_
Your telling me that valentines put that up for rent, with all that crap. i find that very hard to belive. Some of that rubbish looks newer than a year old. i would of not moved in in the first place if that was the case...

im sorry if you find this hard to beleive, but its true, we have had quotes from people and the landlord has said no its too much. in actual fact ther was more rubbish than that, when we moved in, we tried getting rid of some of it, via the next door neighbour, he works for the bin men and one sunday morning he brought a wagon round and parked out side next door, he said leave the rubbish on my front so we did. but we soon realised that we werent going to be able to make an indention into the rubbish ourselves and gave up. Its not just rubbish its rubble, and debris, and overgrown. We moved in here in july 2010 so its not quite a year but getting on for it. I took pics of the garden and inside the house when we moved in..

It was a nuisance last summer as i was hoping it would have been cleared for my sons birthday, as we were going to have a garden party. but we didnt get much summer last year, and then it was winter, but now the sun is out again we are starting to go in the garden again, so its become an issue again.

sarah
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: landlord not bother d - 10th Apr 2011 1:28pm
Originally Posted by _jase_

well beggers cant be choosers unfortunatly, because it was so run down inside and out, the landlord gave us 1 months free rent towards decorating inside the house, and we thought we had established with valentines that they were going to sort the rubbish out at the bottom of the garden. we dont mind decorating, so werent to botherd about that. We dont have a lot of cash although max works, it would be great if we could get a social housing house and have a nice low rent. but not that many spare housing stock, we are on the list, so we have to take what we can afford. Your average private house is around £575 per calender month, and you have to find that in advance as well as 1 months rent as a deposit as well as an admin fee, so you are talking well over a £1000, to move into private rented accomadation nowadays.

I posted on here to get some advise as to what do regarding the rubbish at the bottom of the garden, not to be critised for moving into a run down house, and to be disbelieved about the rubbish at the bottom of the garden. how is your post intended to help us ?
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: landlord not bother d - 11th Apr 2011 11:19am
spoken to valentines this morning, they are going to send their contracters out to do some quotes and send them to the landlord, so its getting sorted.

sarah
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: landlord not bother d - 11th Apr 2011 11:25am
Well done Sarah - result thumbsup
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: landlord not bother d - 11th Apr 2011 11:38am
Originally Posted by summer01
Thats good Sarah .when they going to send the contractersdid they say a definate date ?

she didnt give me a definate date, she said she would contact some contracters, and they would be in touch with us, to see when a suitable time would be to call, and give a quote on the rubbish. then she would submit the qoutes to the landlord, so its not going to be sorted over night, but hopefully the ball is rolling now. x
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: landlord not bother d - 11th Apr 2011 11:39am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Well done Sarah - result thumbsup

thank you
Posted By: Wench Re: landlord not bother d - 2nd Aug 2011 8:33pm
Did they sort it in the end then?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral