Forums
Posted By: anniebo28 PAYE, umbrella or self employed HELP!!!! - 13th Jan 2011 4:44pm
Im looking for some info on ways of getting paid from a new job.
Now I have been paid PAYE style, I have been under an umbrella company and I have been self employed. All of which I didn't know much about as it was the only option I thought I had.
Now I have just started a new job and the wages are great. I have been given the option how I would like to be paid. I am working in Albania for a UK based company and need some advice on which way would be best.
Any info or help would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: PAYE, umbrella or self employed HELP!!!! - 13th Jan 2011 5:01pm
I used a company called CrestPay based in Chester while I was self employed in 2006/7

http://www.crestplus.com/

hth
Posted By: Shambo Re: PAYE, umbrella or self employed HELP!!!! - 14th Jan 2011 8:10pm
Having been self employed a few times, and still finding myself being offered cash in hand work, I was always told to apply 3 criteria to find out if I was really self employed.

1) Do you recieve an hourly/daily/weekly pay rate? If yes, then you're not self employed.
2) Do you decide which jobs you take and the time frame in which to complete them? If no then you're not self employed.
3) If the company through which you find work loses money on a deal, do you still expect to be paid? If yes then you're not self employed.

If any one of these criteria describes your position then you should reasonably expect your employer to make arrangements to deduct your tax and NI. You can of course opt to pay it yourself but I don't know what there would be for you to gain. If the company insist you should arrange payments they're either dodgy or lazy.
Posted By: bert1 Re: PAYE, umbrella or self employed HELP!!!! - 15th Jan 2011 8:58am
I have been self employed a long time now and thankfully i have never had to try and sign on or claim any type of benefits, However i do suspect and i have never gone in to it throughly, as a self employed person, benefits may not be available to you should you come out of work. May be worth checking up on.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: PAYE, umbrella or self employed HELP!!!! - 15th Jan 2011 10:24am
I would've thought that working in Albania might present tax avoidance possibilities (legal of course) so it is worth doing a swift bit of research and finding possible examples of others doing the same. Depending on how successful you are at getting business I suppose but the self employed people I know do ok out of finding what tax claims they can put in and do very well out of off setting. Depends on individual circumstances I suppose. If the money is that good it would be worthwhile getting a bona fide accountant to look after your interests.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral