Forums
Posted By: karenjon 30 days notice - 2nd Aug 2010 2:18pm
sons mate been given 30 days notice anyone know what wages he's entitled to
Posted By: StuyMac Re: 30 days notice - 2nd Aug 2010 2:21pm
Depends how long he has worked there and what his contract says.

At a minimum he will get paid for what he works, any extra will depend on time served and contract.
Posted By: karenjon Re: 30 days notice - 2nd Aug 2010 2:24pm
only been there just over a year
Posted By: StuyMac Re: 30 days notice - 2nd Aug 2010 2:36pm
Try here

According to their min guidelines, if he is under 22 then 0.5 week pay per year, 22-41, 1.0 weeks pay per year....

Of course these are minimum guidelines, and the company may be more generous, though Im pretty sure they would have made extra payments clear at the time of notice.
Posted By: karenjon Re: 30 days notice - 2nd Aug 2010 2:48pm
they said he could have a months wage .they also said he didn;t have to work as they didn't need him and he would still get paid. so took the time off to look for work when went to get wages they hadn't even given him a full week.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: 30 days notice - 2nd Aug 2010 3:09pm
Unless they put all that down on paper he wont ge it.

As he was told verbally he didnt have to work, they may get away with not paying him for that - though I think by law he should get he 0.5 or 1 weeks pay per year.

Tell him to seek legal advice, or at least start at the citizens advice....
Posted By: Wheels Re: 30 days notice - 2nd Aug 2010 4:54pm
I got 4 or 5 weeks pay when my contract was ended and I'd been there for 4 or 5 years so that makes sense.
Posted By: karenjon Re: 30 days notice - 2nd Aug 2010 4:59pm
it sad coz he said he would have worked his notice as he needed the money .think he going to citizens advice. bet he gets away with it (lying scumbag of a boss )
Posted By: Capt_America Re: 30 days notice - 2nd Aug 2010 10:24pm
Sounds suspiciously generous. My wife got 1 weeks pay for each year when she got the chop.
Posted By: bert1 Re: 30 days notice - 3rd Aug 2010 7:16am
There is a lesson to be learnt for everyone here, when it comes to employment and employment matters, get everything in writing, taking the word of someone, especially employers is not good enough and they usually go back on their word when it comes to pay offs. As Stuy posted, any redundancy payments are set out by law, in my experience when i had to deal with these matters, a carrot was only dangled when a voluntary situation arose during redundancies, employers wanting things to run smoothly would entice volunteers with, payment in lieu of notice, full holiday pay, etc, In lieu of notice would normally allow the worker to have time off on pay until the day came to finish completely. It also bars you from receiving any unemployment benefit, though you can still sign on as looking for work. Unfortunately, this lad who was told verbally he was on lieu of notice is going to have to be very lucky to win this one.
Posted By: Nigel Re: 30 days notice - 3rd Aug 2010 3:02pm
Originally Posted by karenjon
sons mate been given 30 days notice anyone know what wages he's entitled to

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/index.htm

Were did he work?
Posted By: karenjon Re: 30 days notice - 4th Aug 2010 2:37pm
he worked for a small phone company
© Wirral-Wikiwirral