Forums
Posted By: GAYVALRON £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 5th Jun 2010 10:47am
I AM WRITING TO WARN OTHER MEMBERS ABOUT THE DAYLIGHT ROBBERY IN PARKING FINES AT ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON). I WAS YESTERDAY ISSUED WITH A £40 FINE FOR STAYING TOO LONG IN THE ALDI CARPARK. IF IT'S NOT PAID IN TIME IT WILL INCREASE TO £70. I STAYED HALF AN HOUR OVER THEIR TIME ALLOWANCE AND WAS GREETED BY THIS DISGUSTING FINE. I SPENT A FORTUNE IN THEIR DAMN SHOP AND ALSO NEXT DOOR IN HOME BARGAINS. WELL THANKS FOR THE EXPENSIVE MISTAKE!!!! I WILL NEVER SHOP IN THERE AGAIN. IF I WANT TO GO IN HOME BARGAINS I WILL PARK IN SAINSBURYS AND WALK OVER. BE WARNED PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!
Contest it I'm sure, half of these fines are not worth the paper they are written on.
Posted By: SUExx Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 5th Jun 2010 10:58am
They dont have parking restrictions in aldi bebington,not yet anyway. It doesnt matter were you park these days, my sister got a fine last sunday at stanley market , she parked behind another car and was only at the market for an hour and a half.
What is the alloted time allowed?
Posted By: bert1 Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 5th Jun 2010 11:59am
is this any help
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/408498/1.html
Some aldi stores have parking restrictions in their car parks(Parking time allowed). This is to allow people to park at store while shoping at the aldi store. We must all realise that aldi car parks are for aldi customers and would be angree if the car park was full and the store empty.
Posted By: scary Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 5th Jun 2010 2:31pm
solution buy a watch dont be late.dont get fined problem solved.
and where all tickerty boo but what do i know ime from anouther plannet
Posted By: Nigel Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 5th Jun 2010 4:17pm

Yep........lets not go through all this again. the above link spells it out quite clear in my humble opinion.
Posted By: peodude Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 5th Jun 2010 5:05pm
Just to quickly sum this up. parking fines from private companies are NOT enforceable in law, and they know this, they will send you 5 or 6 letters, some of which will be from Debt Collectors and Solicitors, with ever increasing amounts and threats. Hold your nerve and IGNORE them. They WILL go away.
Posted By: scary Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 5th Jun 2010 5:07pm
how clear is this??? if you aint got tax on your car it gets taken and crushed . if you havent incurance its crushed no mot crushed.you have parking rules there there for a reason if your not back at the required time you get a ticket its that simple. instead of winging pay it and you wont make the same mistake again will you;; thats what parking rules and road rules are for but who am i to say as ime from a different plannet.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 5th Jun 2010 6:03pm
Just throw it in the bin, That was the advice from a leading expert on watchdog, I started a thread about it not so long bk about the rock retail park. Its not worth the paper its written on, just a scarmonger tactic!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 5th Jun 2010 6:04pm
Just throw it in the bin, That was the advice from a leading expert on watchdog, I started a thread about it not so long bk about the rock retail park. Its not worth the paper its written on, just a scarmonger tactic!
Posted By: DavidB Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 5th Jun 2010 6:28pm
Originally Posted by scary
how clear is this??? if you aint got tax on your car it gets taken and crushed . if you havent incurance its crushed no mot crushed.you have parking rules there there for a reason if your not back at the required time you get a ticket its that simple. instead of winging pay it and you wont make the same mistake again will you;; thats what parking rules and road rules are for but who am i to say as ime from a different plannet.

You used incorrect punctuation. This is not allowed on Wikiwirral, and you now have to pay a £40 fine (increasing to 75 in two minutes).
The advice to simply ignore is indeed correct. Yes you might get more letters and the amounts might increase on them. But these companies have been asked to prove where they have take someone to court. Not one of them has ever been able to.

I have personally had private parking company litter put on my car in my own car park and ignored it. Ive just recieved one for parking at Tesco Bidston Moss from Town and Country Parking. Wont be paying them either.

And thats on top of the Wirral Borough Council parking tickets I have had overturned for various reasons (5 so far).
Posted By: Sanchez Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 5th Jun 2010 7:31pm
Originally Posted by Hiekel_Essterol
The advice to simply ignore is indeed correct. Yes you might get more letters and the amounts might increase on them. But these companies have been asked to prove where they have take someone to court. Not one of them has ever been able to.

I have personally had private parking company litter put on my car in my own car park and ignored it. Ive just recieved one for parking at Tesco Bidston Moss from Town and Country Parking. Wont be paying them either.

And thats on top of the Wirral Borough Council parking tickets I have had overturned for various reasons (5 so far).

Spot on. Motorist are far too easily targeted for this that the other and most of the time law obiding citizerns dont want any trouble and pay up with out standing back and saying to them selves.....hang on this is wrong! So make a stand and dont pay!

I think the government is disgusting for not counter fining these bullies and nipping it in the butt, But why would they as they get tax from every fine payed.....
Posted By: MikeT Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 6th Jun 2010 6:24am
Originally Posted by SUExx
They dont have parking restrictions in aldi bebington,not yet anyway. It doesnt matter were you park these days, my sister got a fine last sunday at stanley market , she parked behind another car and was only at the market for an hour and a half.

If she got fined because she blocked the other car in, she deserved all she got.
Posted By: SUExx Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 6th Jun 2010 7:28am
Originally Posted by MikeT

If she got fined because she blocked the other car in, she deserved all she got.

She didnt BLOCK anyone in, i was merely saying she parked behind another car to say other cars were parked were she parked so she thought it was all right
to park there. If that was the case,because she might have blocked them in well i dont see people that park on pavements getting tickets, surely there is a danger of knocking a pedestrian down

The time limit is 3 hours at Tesco Bidston, Were you shopping all that time???
the sainsbury car park in prenton also have the same regs as the aldi car park.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 6th Jun 2010 9:01am
Why on earth are they all doing this? Is there a reason? and sue I cant seem to understand what your sister actually did?
Posted By: SUExx Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 6th Jun 2010 9:12am
she doest know what she did wrong , she parked behind a line of other cars, even asked someone is it ok to park here and they said yes, she was only an hour and half.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 6th Jun 2010 9:30am
ah ha, but if she did park behind a line of cars was she not blocking them in?
Posted By: SUExx Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 6th Jun 2010 9:40am

She didnt BLOCK anyone in, i was merely saying she parked behind another car to say other cars were parked were she parked so she thought it was all right
to park there. If that was the case,because she might have blocked them in well i dont see people that park on pavements getting tickets, surely there is a danger of knocking a pedestrian down
Posted By: SUExx Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 6th Jun 2010 9:43am
she didnt block anyone as the car in front was a different car when she came back.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 6th Jun 2010 9:49am
So the cars she parked behind must have been able to pull forward to get out then, Did she pay the fine or is she protesting it?
Posted By: SUExx Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 6th Jun 2010 9:51am
it was her first ever one and she has paid it.
Posted By: SUExx Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 6th Jun 2010 9:55am
she paid it before i knew, she's not the kind to protest, unlike me
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner

The time limit is 3 hours at Tesco Bidston, Were you shopping all that time???

I was there maybe 45 mins max. The idiot in the hat took offence to WHERE I was parked and so apparently decided to issue a ticket, thought it never appeared on my car. Apparently they dont like people parking on the long road that runs down to the loading area. This is despite the fact that Town and Country Parking have erected signs all along that road letting people know they can park for 3 hours. Stupid bloody idiots.

These companies simply prey on people that dont know or understand the law regarding parking on private property. Some of you may say I deserved to get a ticket. I say read up on the law a bit and you might find that you are being ripped off and lied to constantly in an effort for these parasites to make a fast buck. And that includes Civil Enforcement Officers employed by the council.
Posted By: hoseman Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 6th Jun 2010 1:14pm
Unless the fine is from your local council OR police, DO NOT PAY!!
Private parking fines ARE NOT ENFORCIBLE!!
They can only fine the person driving the vehicle, not the owner, and you just tell them that you WERE NOT the driver and it will cost THEM £60.00 for you to tell them!!!

Even better, do not get into a discussion with them, bin the fine and ignore ALL correspondence. It will cost them too much to follow up!!!!
Originally Posted by hoseman
Unless the fine is from your local council OR police, DO NOT PAY!!
Private parking fines ARE NOT ENFORCIBLE!!
They can only fine the person driving the vehicle, not the owner, and you just tell them that you WERE NOT the driver and it will cost THEM £60.00 for you to tell them!!!

Even better, do not get into a discussion with them, bin the fine and ignore ALL correspondence. It will cost them too much to follow up!!!!

In many cases there is no need to pay fines from councils either. As I have said in a previous post I have had 5 (I think) council issued parking tickets reversed after I appealed them. It is very important to appeal council tickets. DO NOT IGNORE THEM.

However tickets from private parking companies feel free to ignore. They have the power to fine NOONE. Under UK law fines can only be issued by the police etc.

UK law is non punitive. This means that IF a private parking company was able to charge you ANYTHING it would only be what they have financially lost out on. If there is no fee to park they have lost out on nothing. Believe it or not if you park in a multistory in Birkenhead and overstay your tickets the only thing you owe them is the published parking charge for the amount of time you were over (ie. up to an hour over your ticket you owe them £1.00). This wont stop them sticking an invoice (because thats all it is) on your windscreen for £25 maybe more.

Read up on these things people. Get yourself the knowledge, it is out there for you. Learn how much these companies are preying on the common man to make a fast and immoral buck.
If there is no fee to park they have lost out on nothing. Believe it or not if you park in a multistory in Birkenhead and overstay your tickets the only thing you owe them is the published parking charge for the amount of time you were over (ie. up to an hour over your ticket you owe them £1.00). This wont stop them sticking an invoice (because thats all it is) on your windscreen for £25 maybe more.

Some of this is wishful thinking, if in this case the £25 is published ie on reasonable display, then they are well within their rights to pursue it through the courts, it is part of the parking fee.

The other point of denying you are the driver is also quite dodgy, if they have you captured on camera or cctv and you have are shown to have lied then you could be wide open for a criminal charge as well as the civil offence.

It is in the interests of these companies to recover the money, if it shown that you have been at all uncooperative then the costs will almost certainly be awarded against you and will probably be much higher than if you played it straight. If they are reasonably confident that they have sufficient evidence then they have nothing to lose by taking you to court - it will be judged on the balance of probabilities, not necessarily on absolute proof.

You can read as many stories as you want on the internet and chose to believe the ones in your favour, they won't be much use in a court other than to highly amuse the judge at your naivity.
Except that no one has been able to find instances of where these companies have ever actually taken anyone to court, never mind won.

The £25 charge whether advertised or not is punitive in nature and therefore unlawful in the UK.
And Im not just going on stories I have read. I am going on personal experience of ignoring these parasites.
The £25 charge whether advertised or not is punitive in nature and therefore unlawful in the UK.

In a private car park it is not punitive, it is a parking fee. There is no legal restriction on what parking fees they charge, if they want to put a sign up for £2000 a minute and someone parks there, they are fully legally able to take them to court to obtain the stated charge, the court cannot make a judgement based on if it excessive or not, although they may make comment on it.
Here is an example list of cases where parking fees have resulted in successful county court judgements.

Mr Simon Malin 9MA21782

Mr John Delaney 9Q202947

Private Hire Uk 9MA12611

Richard Crossland 9MA10907

Surefix Roofing 9MA11445

Carcroft Commercial Ltd 9MA11444

Mrs Carole Carter 9QT78386

Bailey-Edwards £304.76 9MA08392

Zarafat £293.86 9MA07110

Tomlinson £303.70 9MA06847

Pledge £303.95 9MA07107

Patel £308.88 9MA07329

Morgan £303.83 9MA07345

Mohanad £303.55 9MA07114

McDonald £293.66 9MA06846

Koloko £307.24 9MA07109

Connell £314.59 9MA07347
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

In a private car park it is not punitive, it is a parking fee. There is no legal restriction on what parking fees they charge, if they want to put a sign up for £2000 a minute and someone parks there, they are fully legally able to take them to court to obtain the stated charge, the court cannot make a judgement based on if it excessive or not, although they may make comment on it.

Yes a parking company can charge £2000 per minute. But they cannot then say that if you overstay we will charge you £200,000. Thats the punitive part. That have already advertised that the fee for parking is £2000 per minute. Any overstay can only be charged at the same rate.
Here is an example list of cases where parking fees have resulted in successful county court judgements.

Mr Simon Malin 9MA21782

Mr John Delaney 9Q202947

Private Hire Uk 9MA12611

Richard Crossland 9MA10907

Surefix Roofing 9MA11445

Carcroft Commercial Ltd 9MA11444

Mrs Carole Carter 9QT78386

Bailey-Edwards £304.76 9MA08392

Zarafat £293.86 9MA07110

Tomlinson £303.70 9MA06847

Pledge £303.95 9MA07107

Patel £308.88 9MA07329

Morgan £303.83 9MA07345

Mohanad £303.55 9MA07114

McDonald £293.66 9MA06846

Koloko £307.24 9MA07109

Connell £314.59 9MA07347

And how many of these were defended?
And how many of these were defended?
Dunno mate, but it shows they Do go to court and they Do get CCJs. If it goes to court on a civil case you are unlikely to win unless you were truly innocent - in which case it would have been unlikely to go to court anyway.

No doubt some of those £300 CCJs started off life as £40 "fines".

It costs the parking companies NOTHING to pass the debt on to a debt collection company, the collection company doesn't survive by not collecting the money and costs are awarded.

CLICKY - DRPL offers a ‘No Collection - No Fee' recovery service for your unpaid Parking Tickets
Then all I can go on is personal experience. And we will have to respectfully agree to disagree as to whether these tickets are lawful or not.
Ok, my last post unless I dig up some hard evidence. There is no question as to whether they are lawful or not, the question is: are they enforceable?

Very similar problem as speed cameras which were passed through the highest courts as lawful, but the technicality of proving the driver made them almost unenforceable.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 7th Jun 2010 12:00am
Unless it is issued by a court, no one can make you pay a fine of any nature regardless of who issues it, which is why the police always offer you the oppertunity to go to court to protest it. If you wish to just pay the police fine then so be it, chances are you'll loose if it is from the police.

ONLY A JUDGE CAN MAKE YOU PAY A FINE END OF MATTER.
Posted By: AR_One Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 7th Jun 2010 6:57am
DOn't know anything about the law relating to this sort of thing but I do have 2 friends who've had these tickets (both from Aldi carparks) and have just ignored and not received any sort of court summons. However neither had actually broken the rules, which appears to of happens in this case, so I'm not sure how that would affect it.
you HAVE to pay if its a council or police parking fine but just ignore the fines if its a private firm. the cost of taking you to court is more than your fine so makes no sense in sending you to court! there was a programe on radio merseyside concerning this and so far no-one has been taken to court! but just ignore it, dont get into any corrispondance with them or if you do get them to prove who was driving and they cannot prove it and dont admit anything!! good luck! check out moneysavingexpert.com or peppipoo.com, they will tell you more.
Posted By: jennylou Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 7th Jun 2010 10:56pm
same happened to me, I haven't been back to the Home n Bargain nor Aldi since. When I was "caught" having spent 19 mins over the supposed time limit I deffo did not see any signs, I mean, lets face it, on the way into the carpark your lookin at the road not up in the air!lol. Well, I phoned them and told them it was ridiculous etc etc but it fell on deaf ears - I said what are they gonna do at Xmas, when there is big queues etc... didn't have an answer did they!! i rang CAB, they advised me to pay however I have heard of many more getting stung like this. Just makes my blood boil, nowt more than vultures as far as I'm concerned. Best of luck, smile
Posted By: Sanchez Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 7th Jun 2010 11:28pm
Originally Posted by jennylou
same happened to me, I haven't been back to the Home n Bargain nor Aldi since. When I was "caught" having spent 19 mins over the supposed time limit I deffo did not see any signs, I mean, lets face it, on the way into the carpark your lookin at the road not up in the air!lol. Well, I phoned them and told them it was ridiculous etc etc but it fell on deaf ears - I said what are they gonna do at Xmas, when there is big queues etc... didn't have an answer did they!! i rang CAB, they advised me to pay however I have heard of many more getting stung like this. Just makes my blood boil, nowt more than vultures as far as I'm concerned. Best of luck, smile

Very true, and what happens if your car wont start and breaks down.....surly they cant expect you to work miracles....
Originally Posted by stevemonks78
you HAVE to pay if its a council or police parking fine but just ignore the fines if its a private firm. the cost of taking you to court is more than your fine so makes no sense in sending you to court! there was a programe on radio merseyside concerning this and so far no-one has been taken to court! but just ignore it, dont get into any corrispondance with them or if you do get them to prove who was driving and they cannot prove it and dont admit anything!! good luck! check out moneysavingexpert.com or peppipoo.com, they will tell you more.

You dont HAVE to pay fines from the police or council if you can prove that they have been issued incorrectly. However you cannot simply ignore them. You DO have to act, whether it be to simply pay them or to appeal them. A good, strong appeal has a great chance of winning and having the ticket cancelled, as I have plenty of experience of.
Precisely!! a friend of mine got one when we had all the snow!!! i mean, they couldn't get the car out of the flippin car park!! anyhoo, i wont be taking my custom to prenton no more :$
Posted By: Helles Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 8th Jun 2010 7:15pm
Some of the posters on here are obviously part of the private parking fraternity. Ignore their advice. Do not take advice from the CAB because they talk rubbish.

It is not a fine, only the police can issue fines. It is an invoice that has no legality and courts will throw it out. These people do not do court anyway and previous posters attempts to pretend otherwise with ficticious names and no other details is not very convincing. A company cannot claim for parking fees for a free car park as they have lost exactly zero, zilch, nothing etc.

Never pay, never contact them and don't be fooled into thinking that their solicitors, debt collectors etc are real. Bailiffs cannot be set upon anyone without it first going to court, their winning the case and in the final instance you not paying. Debt collectors are not bailiffs and have no rights to harrass you.

For further details, read of the thousands of cases. http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

Finally, these people will attempt to relieve you of your cash for the slightest alledged infringement so the OP probably did nothing wrong in the first place. Don't let these crooks win.
Helles, it doesn't matter how much you want to believe the stories on the internet, the law isn't on your side.

You are correct that private companies cannot charge fines BUT they can charge the fees that are advertised clearly - if the advertised fees are "free for the first hour" and a £40 fee after that, they can get a CCJ to recover no problem.

"can't afford to take you to court" If they win the case, costs are awarded against YOU, it doesn't cost them a penny.

Just because some people have got away with it is no reason to broadcast that it is perfectly safe to do so. There is a risk and it may cost you around £300.

I don't really understand why anyone thinks these charges are unfair, its like buying a train ticket for Birkenhead to Chester and getting off at London and expect to get away with it - do you think that fair???

Many of these private car parks are a facility subsidised by a shop for your amenity to shop there (and hence their profit), neither the shops nor the customers want commuters blocking up the car park all day.

The other car parks are a business with an aim to make money out of parking - you think that wrong???
Posted By: Sanchez Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 8th Jun 2010 9:18pm
Reguardless of what they think and what they are doing the law is the law. I had a 12k dept wiped out not so long back just because I made no contact with the bank who lent it to me. I was just about to pay it when I was informed about this strange loop hole by wentch. I think it is a stupid law and I dont feel proubd but thats the way the law opperates. These companies opperate just within the law to get money from you by scare tactics and bullying methods.

Like I said before - ONLY A COURT CAN MAKE YOU PAY A FINE SO DONT PAY ANYTHING UNLESS YOU REALLY FEEL YOU HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE - IE A POLICE FINE OR COUNCIL BECAUSE THESE ARE PROBABLY THE ONLY TWO COPERATIONS (YES CORPERATIONS) THAT KNOW THEY WILL WIN IF IT DOES GO TO COURT.
Theres little point in continuing this discussion as minds will never meet.

I know what I have experienced in the past. I know how many tickets I have had overturned by the council and how many times a private parking company HAVENT taken me to court for not paying their invoice.

I'll stick with what I know thank you.
Posted By: RobBB Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 9th Aug 2010 11:52pm
Bear in mind Birkenhead area now makes more money out of FINES than they do from parking fees.
Has anyone else noticed they have extended the pay to park area further up Park rd. South?
I refuse to pay fees so I always park outside the zones and walk in.
Needless to say I spend far less cash in Birkenhead than I used to.
I feel sorry for the shop owners and market stall holders but I refuse to be ripped off.
I only ever go through the tunnels on a motorcycle as it's free for bikes.
I'm not tight just belligerent towards money making scams.
RobBB
I think DD is right. They don't issue the tickets for fun, there are clearly advertised rules and if you stray beyond them they will have you. If you don't liek their rules, park somewhere else.
you can hold out and not pay them but remember how they got your details in the 1st place. they have 2 camrea's in the middle of the car park one on the entrence and one on the exit, they film you with a time and date stamp, entering the carpark and if you leave before your time is up nothing happens if you are over the specified time or return within a hr it will automaticly get your cars licence plate and then send a ticket to the registered car owner, weather they where driving or not, i had alot of trouble with them as i was working at one of the shops on woodchurch road and had to park at the back, therefore having to go through the entrence to the carpark to get to the back of the shops and i was getting several tickets a day for the time i was working there, i eventualy got them overturned but they tryed all sorts of scare tactics on me to make me pay, they didn't know i also work part time at the c.a.b in wallasey :-) so they had NO Chance of me paying
Posted By: hoseman Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 18th Aug 2010 5:24pm
As many have said, DO NOT GIVE INTO SCARE TACTICS!!!!
DO NOT PAY PRIVATE PARKING FINES WHATEVER THEY SAY!!!!
DO NOT BY INTIMIDATED BY THES MINI-HITLERS, they aint worth a wank!!!!
I park in private slots all the time, never paid a cent!!!
Let them get real jobs like the rest of us HONEST-(ish!!)workers.
"Power to the people" and "Up the Government" (Right up `em!!!) raftl
Welcome to the WikiWirral machine Flightuk.
Posted By: BUNGUS Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 31st Aug 2010 4:57pm
Nice one hahahaha
Posted By: DavidB Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 31st Aug 2010 11:06pm
Originally Posted by Capt_America
I think DD is right. They don't issue the tickets for fun, there are clearly advertised rules and if you stray beyond them they will have you. If you don't liek their rules, park somewhere else.

Where are you meant to park exactly though? How harsh can these stupid penalties get, and why are people accepting them as sensible?
1 - Ignore it.

2 - Don't respond, if you do, they've hooked you and will try harder to reel you in.

3 - IT IS THERE RESPONSIBILITY TO PROVE THAT YOU - THE REGISTERED KEEPER WAS DRIVING THE CAR AT THE TIME OF THE (Micky Mouse) OFFENSE!

4 - DO NOT RESPOND

You do not have to pay, it's not an enforceable parking offense.

Their 1st option is to send you letters asking for more and more money because you've ignored the first few letters, these letters will look official and very much like debt collection and then solicitor letters(all pretty much from the same address, just the next desk along).

Their 2nd option, after 6 months of you ignoring their letters and the cost to them in postage fees, they will drop the case. There are plenty more fish in sea, willing to pay within 7 days to keep the fine down and keep their credit rating safe!

Their 3rd option and in my experience, this has never happened to me, they will have to issue a summons to recover the money via a county court. This option cost them money to initiate, between £30 - £80. If they take you to court and win then you will have to pay part or all of the fine plus their cost.

You will receive a letter from the small claims court detailing your summons date, but also advising you to contact the persons who issued the summons to try and rectify the situation before the matter reaches court.

At no point until you have been to court and lost your case does this effect your credit rating as constantly threatened.
The court will consider your circumstances as to if you are able to pay the fine before making a judgment.

If it was me, I would, and have sat it out and the matter was eventually dropped.

The law is now being changed with regard to clamping and the way that the DVLA sells owner details, so a lot of these companies will go out of business and those that remain may start taking court action to stay fat cats.

Good luck and tell them to GGF, but don't actually respond, remember points 2 and 4 above.
That's me not shopping at ALDI any more.
I have read this thread with interest and would like to add my experience.

I have just received a parking fine from Aldi. I parked there, with my disabled badge showing clearly, and took my mother, who suffers from ill health, to shop in Aldi and Home Bargains. I was completely unaware that I had been given a parking fine. There was nothing attached to my windscreen or I would have immediately taken the matter up with the store manager.

I was in Merseyside in order to visit my terminally ill father and to help my Mum with some chores, such as shopping. I live in Aberdeen and had hired a car, after travelling down to Merseyside by train. It wasn't until the car hire company sent me a paid invoice, payment taken from my credit card, that I found out about the parking fine. Because it was paid by the car hire firm HERTZ, I also incurred a £42 administration charge. I am currently fighting this parking fine and have demanded not only a refund, but also a refund of the administration charge.

When I spoke to the customer service operator, I was told that there was a time limit on how long you could park in Aldi and that the registration number recognition facility 'doesn't currently recognise' disabled parking badges. She 'helpfully' told me that I wouldn't have to pay the fine as I had a disabled parking badge, I would be able to claim it back.

I am disgusted at this attitude. £40 is a lot of money to pay out and wait for a refund on when you are on benefits. My Mum is a pensioner and cannot afford this and I am on benefits due to my disablement. I am sure we're not alone in these circumstances. To penalise people who, because of illness or disablement, for taking their time to do their shopping, I find utterly disgraceful.

In response to the posters who suggest that people abide by the rules, accept parking fines if you have parked too long etc. I suggest you walk a day in the shoes of somebody with mobility problems and then ask yourself if your comments are entirely justified.

I was planning to visit my parents again on Monday but now cannot afford to travel to the Wirral. I am £82 out of pocket and my train fare will cost £87. I just hope that my father lasts until I am able to find the money to visit him again. Aldi and the like should be aware that personal circumstances are devastatingly affected by their greed and indifference. I will never shop at Aldi again.
Posted By: zippy49 Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 15th Nov 2011 12:06pm
The cherry center in liscard only allows 3 hours stay ,for blue badge holders but you have to go to pay point to read about it.
I would suggest you read the Honest John site on the net. He is the motoring bloke from the Daily Telegraph and is quite an oracle on all things petrol driven. It's an interesting site anyway if you are into cars.
Have a look here apparantly parking fines in supermarket carparks are often invalid so dont pay http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets
Posted By: Guvna Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 15th Nov 2011 7:07pm
Helles, it doesn't matter how much you want to believe the stories on the internet, the law isn't on your side.

You are correct that private companies cannot charge fines BUT they can charge the fees that are advertised clearly - if the advertised fees are "free for the first hour" and a £40 fee after that, they can get a CCJ to recover no problem.

"can't afford to take you to court" If they win the case, costs are awarded against YOU, it doesn't cost them a penny.

Just because some people have got away with it is no reason to broadcast that it is perfectly safe to do so. There is a risk and it may cost you around £300.

I don't really understand why anyone thinks these charges are unfair, its like buying a train ticket for Birkenhead to Chester and getting off at London and expect to get away with it - do you think that fair???

Many of these private car parks are a facility subsidised by a shop for your amenity to shop there (and hence their profit), neither the shops nor the customers want commuters blocking up the car park all day.

The other car parks are a business with an aim to make money out of parking - you think that wrong???

Extremely incorrect.

They write to you are the RK of the vehicle, the 'contract' is made with the driver and you are under no obligation to either name them or incriminate yourself.

Therefore ignore it, and if they get a debt collector on the case then write back and inform them it's in dispute.

They WILL NOT and CAN NOT enforce it.

Despite their threats.

They have so many other issues to prove before they can even get going i.e. can they prove you read the signs? NO. Did you agree to the contract? NO. Parking there is not an acceptance, since they can't prove you read the sign.

File it in the bin and forget about it.

Get over to pepipoo.com and read the experiences of people who understand what they are talking about.
Guvna - they can (and sometimes do) take you to court.

They don't have to prove to the court that you read the signs, just that the signs were clearly visible. The court may judge whether you were the driver or not.

There seems to be a lot of people who are volunteering their own property for free parking as apparently they believe you can't do anything about it wink
Posted By: Guvna Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 15th Nov 2011 7:48pm
Can you quote any cases to back this up?

When I say case law, I mean any cases that have gone to court and been lost by the defendant for any other reason than not representing themselves.
Why exclude the cases where the defendant doesn't represent themselves?

CLICKY

All I am saying is that there is a risk, so many people state that they NEVER recover if you ignore them.

Its the same as speeding etc, just because the statistics show it is rare to get caught doesn't mean it never happens.
Posted By: Guvna Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 15th Nov 2011 8:17pm
You do realise that the website you quoted has absolutely no credibility and exists only in an attempt to scare those being sent menacing letters into paying?

Speeding is a totally different matter and I wouldn't expect someone of your perceived intelligence to use that as a comparison.

Its all about risk, if you can't afford a £40, can you risk £300+

Give me a good reason why they wouldn't take you to court, if thet win (which is likely), it doesn't cost them a penny, if they lose, its a small cost compared to the money recovered from the win cases.

Car parks aren't free to own, ask anybody in property.
Posted By: Guvna Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 15th Nov 2011 9:01pm
They won't take you to court because they won't win if you choose to just show up...

This is why they don't take you to court...

They pray on the naive and the misinformed, they make more than enough from these guys that issuing a court order on those that are neither is wholly pointless.

Trust me on this.

To the OP; ignore everything they send you, and if (in the unlikely event) that they issues official court proceedings (almost completely unlikely) then I will represent you myself for the cost of my mileage and a coffee and I will enjoy every second of it.

I have many, many examples of this and if anyone wishes to investigate further then feel free to PM me and I will happily help you out, it's almost a hobby of mine.

Posted By: Sanchez Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 15th Nov 2011 9:05pm
Id ignor it bud, I recieved on from the rock for spending just over an hour there having a coffe. Got caught on camers. Ignored their threats and demands and the turd soon flushed away.
Posted By: Guvna Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 15th Nov 2011 9:09pm
Originally Posted by Sanchez
Id ignor it bud, I recieved on from the rock for spending just over an hour there having a coffe. Got caught on camers. Ignored their threats and demands and the turd soon flushed away.

Yup.

Hello Suexx can`t you drive in stanley market and park in the grounds free you don`t have to park out side any more ?double check that tho i`m sure that`s correct smile
Posted By: Guvna Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 15th Nov 2011 10:47pm
I'd say she deserved it.

Posted By: lau2908 Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 16th Nov 2011 3:40pm
i just wouldnt pay it, i got fined in cheshire oaks car park for parking in disabled once because i had a disabled person with me, i admit i didnt have a badge but i just didnt pay it , they wrote once an that was the end of it, never heard anything back
Originally Posted by lau2908
i got fined in cheshire oaks car park for parking in disabled once

be aware both sides of the Coliseum Retail/Leisure Park are now doing this

£70 fine for parking in disabled, reduced to £40 if paid within 30 days
Posted By: Guvna Re: £40 PARKING FINE IN ALDI CARPARK (PRENTON) - 16th Nov 2011 10:31pm
Originally Posted by Tony_1985
Originally Posted by lau2908
i got fined in cheshire oaks car park for parking in disabled once

be aware both sides of the Coliseum Retail/Leisure Park are now doing this

£70 fine for parking in disabled, reduced to £40 if paid within 30 days

The use of the word 'fine' is laughable. It's a written invoice. You don't have to pay it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral