Forums
Posted By: MissGuided GoGo Cancer Hamsters! - 7th Dec 2009 4:03pm
Go Go Hamsters contain chemical linked to cancer, claims consumer group

[Linked Image]

A must-have Christmas toy, Go Go Hamsters, contains a chemical which has been linked to cancer, according to a US consumer group.

The group, called GoodGuide, said tests carried out on three hamsters had found dangerously high levels of antimony in the fur and also in the nose of one called ‘Mr Squiggles’.
However the manufacturers insisted there was no risk and that the £9.99 interactive hamsters met safety standards in the UK and the US.

Dara O’Rourke, a professor of environmental science at California University and head of the website-based GoodGuide, said the tests had found antimony at levels of 93 and 106 parts per million, above the 60 parts per million allowed under US regulations.
“The biggest danger is from a toddler or young child putting the toy in their mouth. If too much of the chemical is ingested, it could lead to cancer or other health problems,” he said.
Antimony can also cause lung and heart problems.
Jon Diver, managing director for UK distributor Character Options, said the toys were completely safe.
“The pets are tested in independent accredited laboratories during the manufacture and again before shipment through our own internal diligence programme; their safety has always been ratified,” he said.
The US-based toy maker Cepia LLC also said there was no risk.

Source
Posted By: bert1 Re: GoGo Cancer Hamsters! - 7th Dec 2009 4:13pm
Probably have to eat about a thousand of them.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: GoGo Cancer Hamsters! - 7th Dec 2009 5:48pm
Originally Posted by Snooze
"their safety has always been ratified,”

raftl No pun intended raftl I know they're hamsters, but it still tickled me
Posted By: MissGuided Re: GoGo Cancer Hamsters! - 7th Dec 2009 5:50pm
raftl I didn't see that
Posted By: Anonymous Re: GoGo Cancer Hamsters! - 7th Dec 2009 5:56pm
Originally Posted by Snooze
raftl I didn't see that

...scare mongering woman!! raftl
Posted By: MissGuided Re: GoGo Cancer Hamsters! - 7th Dec 2009 5:58pm
grin