Forums
Posted By: BandyCoot Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 1:42pm
This one is on the go again. Flagging it up because it's just cost a local pensioner woman £605 and she now realises she was had.
The scam artist claims that by using their credit or debit card to pay for goods, people entered into a prize draw and have won a free holiday. The caller then asks for the card details to "verify the claim". She did it because she "buys lots of stuff with her cards." Two days later the money was debited to a comapny called "Calypso Ca Resort."
Warn your old relatives.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 3:21pm
The muppets will never learn will they!! Always wanting something for nothing. Greed is all it boils down to. It doesnt matter how many times they are told, guaranteed I could whip their card details of them tomorrow if I told them they had one a small prize on the Afghanistan lottery.
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 3:35pm
Bit harsh but I see where you're coming from. I just see it as the old folks don't know any better, plus if there is any pressure put on they'd rather settle than cause a comotion. Either way the fookers should be strangled with a telephone cord....the callers that is tease
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 3:45pm
No it's just greedy old fookers, who look for the sympathy vote when they get stung basd on thier age. The image portrayed by the likes of Age Concern et al in this country is that they are all poverty-striken, cold, hungry etc, when in reality pensioners have never had it so fkin good!! How can they be living in poverty when they get twice as much money as a 55 year old would on the dole, and have less to spend it on, and more benefits (free unlimited bus travel, free TV license, many other "pensioner pricing" schemes and promotions)...

These scams are well known, there are, and have been, warnings everywhere, on buses, in bus stops, in magazines, in papers, on television, on radio etc for years, and if they choose to take no notice and be greedy enough to think they will win a lottery or competition they never entered, and give their card details out over the phone to any tom, dick or harry who requests them, then as far as im concerned, they deserve to be stung.

And if they are incapable of looking after themselves, what the hell are they doing with control over their finances, cards etc...
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 3:45pm
WHat exactly does a 'Holiday Prize telephone' look like? think
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 3:55pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
No it's just greedy old fookers, who look for the sympathy vote when they get stung basd on thier age. The image portrayed by the likes of Age Concern et al in this country is that they are all poverty-striken, cold, hungry etc, when in reality pensioners have never had it so fkin good!! How can they be living in poverty when they get twice as much money as a 55 year old would on the dole, and have less to spend it on, and more benefits (free unlimited bus travel, free TV license, many other "pensioner pricing" schemes and promotions)...

These scams are well known, there are, and have been, warnings everywhere, on buses, in bus stops, in magazines, in papers, on television, on radio etc for years, and if they choose to take no notice and be greedy enough to think they will win a lottery or competition they never entered, and give their card details out over the phone to any tom, dick or harry who requests them, then as far as im concerned, they deserve to be stung.

And if they are incapable of looking after themselves, what the hell are they doing with control over their finances, cards etc...

May your marbles forever stay in place Matt. As a rejoinder, I worked bloody hard for my pension from the age of 15, always paid my way and never shirked. 50 years after starting work I decided to take the offer of a rest and hope to last long enough to draw it for it bit. I thought I could rant a bit but bloody hell........

oldman
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:02pm
Yeah, fair does you worked for your pay, like most other pensioners. But you can't seriously tell me that Age Concern and the like don't take the mickey, they portray pensioners in the same light as a child in Somalia or somewhere.

Everyone always thinks "awww its a pensioner, they aint got two haypnee's to rub together" when in reality, they can probably afford to be stung for £600 more than working people with families to support etc... Im sick of hearing of "the plight of pensioners" everytime I turn on the telly etc, and now we are getting into winter, it will be 6 months of "they can't afford to heat their homes"... yeah, because they spent their £250 heating allowance on a foreign holiday or taking their family out for a posh meal, and their pension goes on 3 nights at the bingo, 3 nights in the local and christmans presents and food galore for their loved ones - not to mention the bi-weekly outings with the 1 oclock club! Jeeze, my annual electric and heating bill is only about £400 maybe even less - and I bet I have a lot more electric gadgets than the average pensioner!!

Back to the point though, it don't matter how many times you tell these people, they will still keep doing it. And its not just confined to pensioners.

If they are greedy enough to fall for it, especially with repeated warnings and reports of the same scams going on, all the time, then stuff them is what I say.
Posted By: Danny888 Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:12pm
Matty, you cant create scenarios of what a pensioner spends there money on then rant about it.

The money they have saved up for years and years is 'depreciating' by the ever changing cost of things (a cost that wont go down). Plus, they cant earn any more money so if the pots dry there in shit street - Its easy for 'younguns' to take chances, get mortgages etc because you have plenty of time to worry about paying it back, plus you can earn money - Pensioners cant.

Add to the fact crime was nothing to what it is now 'cue the lecture on not locking doors' so they are more gullible AND the brain doesnt work as well as it did.

Typical young persons view you have there, wait for your turn
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:17pm
Right, that's it..I am confiscating Matt's keyboard for the day!! raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:21pm
There are plenty of people on the MSE forums, not all young but many "are" pensioners or well on their way to getting there, who share the same views. There were arguments galore on there last year, there was even a dedicated thread to "What Are You Spending Your Fuel Allowance On This Year" as if it was some sort of competition win... and I don't recall anyone posting that they were spending it on heating or to help with their heating. The comment about the £250 being spent on foreign trips or taking their family out for a posh meal... well the former is based on the boasting that pensioners do on the MSE forums, the latter is based on personal experience - my grandfather always used to take the family out for a nice posh meal on his, and I do mean the entire family!

He never cried poverty and openly admitted he had never had so much money as when he was a pensioner... basically because he never really wasted money, he lived well within his means but still had plenty of cash come Xmas and birthdays to treat the family. But at the same time, he drover a car, had things done to the house when it needed it, had nice holidays, bailed out the family when someone needed to lend money etc!

Pensioners have never had it so good - fact. Pensioners get more than enough money to sustain a comfortable lifestyle - fact. The likes of Age Concern cry they are in poverty... then yesterday, I get a leaflet through my door with the Police Annual review booklet, guess who, Age Concern, trying to sell a funeral plan based on monthly payment system for the rest of their lives.

So... Age Concern tell us they all have no money and are forced to live in poverty on one hand, but on the other hand, Age Concern dont mind whipping another £20+ out of their pension each month.

It's not my fault if people are afraid to speak out and fanny around and bow down to these "accepted views" - I am not afraid, contraversial, maybe, but only because of the media brainwashing that is always thrown at us!!
Posted By: Danny888 Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:25pm
So a sizable chunk of your opinion is based on a number of replies people have made on an internet forum? Wow thats funny!

Try and colate the amount of 'pensioners' on that forums as a percentage based on the total amount of pensioners in this country - I bet its less than 1% yet you believe that to be view of ALL pensioners - Total joke and I bet your sorry you made that statement now.

Never had it so good? Across the spectrum perhaps but not entirely true, look at the port sunlight workers...
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:26pm
I hope you didn't give your grandad a bollocking for taking you out then, wasting his bloody money on you.

nono

Posted By: MattLFC Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:27pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
I hope you didn't give your grandad a bollocking for taking you out then, wasting his bloody money on you.

nono

I'd have a job, unless I could find a spirit guide lol. But then, he never cried poverty after doing it, in fact he never once cried poverty and was always very comfortable in retirement. More comfortable than at any other period in his life, according to him.

I guess when you have fought in the war as a boy soldier, you learn to appreciate everything you have. Maybe that's what is lacking from modern-day pensioners, many have never had to "struggle" like the last generation had to? And have become used to a nanny-state.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:31pm
Oh yeah, and btw, I quite support the view that we should pay a bit more tax to increase the pension in line with the RPI year on year, I don't think the pension is perfect, but its certainly not the dogs life that Age Concern would have us all believe.
Posted By: Danny888 Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:32pm
Iv seen your eply change 3 times now

So going through the war was the answer here? Bollocks, most pensioners now were either in the war and preceeded it meaning they had the aftermath (that led for years on) such as RATIONS.

Think your scraping the barrel for reasoning here now...
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:37pm
Changed it? I havent seen you actually give an argument against any of my replies... why? Because they are fact. Simple as. You continue to listen to and believe Age Concern as you obviously cannot think for yourself, I will continue to use my brain and common sense. If someone of 55 can live okay on less than half the weekly income, without the perks and benefits, and extra "allowances", then a pensioner who survived rationing etc, should be more than able to.

And when you learn to install and configure a simple PHP script (despite supposedly having "knowledge about it"), then I will give you a few more seconds of my valuable time.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:39pm
Matt, I've only been retired 2 yrs so still learning the ropes. I'm not poor, I eat good, the house is warm, I can go for a drink a couple of times a week, keep up my golf club membership, drive a decent little motor. I don't smoke, don't do the horses, keep off one armed bandits and don't get into debt, always keep my slate clean. The welfare state is a new phenomenon, we spend more money on keeping kids happy than old uns but everyone has to go with the flow. It's your train set now, we're putting ours away. The fact is though that pensions are way below what is regarded as subsistence level, ok we don't have to buy Nikes and the like but we should still be comfortable in our dotage, we've earned it.

laffin
Posted By: Danny888 Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:39pm
lol bitchy! Dont cry, becase we all known PHP is the be all and end all of the modern world

You altered one of your replies 3 times - FACT

Why would I supply an argument against your VIEWS (I use caps, to indicate it is your view and is definetly NOT a fact, if its a fact please prove these few comments on a forum you use equal the opinion of all pensioners)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:41pm
Handbag fight!!!! raftl

[Linked Image]

I would do the "what is blue and fooks old people" joke but I know this post is already on a fine line and will be deleted!!
Posted By: Danny888 Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:43pm
Deleted?

What ever for? Someone shares a very one sided view but airs it in a manner that its a fact, then complains that age concern, the press etc are 'trying to influence people views' - Using your opinion then adding its a fact is pretty hypocritical wouldnt you say?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:45pm
but we should still be comfortable in our dotage, we've earned it.

Agreed. It's not so much the pensioners I am against, its more the media brainwashing that goes on. Through my gradfather (who I regard as my father) I got to know a lot of pensioners as he was the guy that started the local community centre where I used to live. Having lived in the same house for over 50 years, he had spent his life with the people around him. I reguarly used to help his friends when they needed jobs doing etc, I still visit a few nowadays just to see how their getting on and be some company to them when im in the area.

Even the poorest of pensioners I have met were nothing like what Age Concern would have us believe - some of them own their own homes of course and are better off, but most of them live in normal council houses and are on the most basic state pension. I don't see, and never have done, this level of poverty comparable to a Somalian child that the media would like us to believe.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:46pm
I didn't know a Scam Warning could get so exciting.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:48pm
Originally Posted by Danny888
Deleted?

What ever for? Someone shares a very one sided view but airs it in a manner that its a fact, then complains that age concern, the press etc are 'trying to influence people views' - Using your opinion then adding its a fact is pretty hypocritical wouldnt you say?

I was referring to my post (as its off topic)...I was not referring to the thread...ya plumster!! laugh
Posted By: Danny888 Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:50pm
Paul, tell me the joke Iv not heard it smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:52pm
Originally Posted by Danny888
Paul, tell me the joke Iv not heard it smile

Whats blue and fooks old people?

Hypothermia!
Posted By: Danny888 Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 4:53pm
lol!

Quite funny that!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 5:08pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
but we should still be comfortable in our dotage, we've earned it.

Agreed. It's not so much the pensioners I am against, its more the media brainwashing that goes on. Through my gradfather (who I regard as my father) I got to know a lot of pensioners as he was the guy that started the local community centre where I used to live. Having lived in the same house for over 50 years, he had spent his life with the people around him. I reguarly used to help his friends when they needed jobs doing etc, I still visit a few nowadays just to see how their getting on and be some company to them when im in the area.

The reason Somalia and some other places are like that is because they are busy fighting each other and wasting money on arms and munitions and wasting what energy they do have in fighting. Some can't climb out of it because their religion won't let them, they're born to suffer in this life as far as they are concerned because they will get their reward in the next life. Where have I heard that before? India gets aid from us and send up rockets and satellites and is trying to put a man on the moon. Why are we sending them money to do that? Anyone who is on a pension now in this country i.e. 65 and over are the old war babies and they have known what it is like to be without, good style. If pensioners of old could throw their money about a bit it was probably because they were middle class, manual worker pensioners could hardly do it, they were born to suffer as well. We were taught that it was our lot in life to work until we retire then the State would look after us, so we worked. Women were taught that their place was in the home and if they did work they were encouraged to take out a lower stamp, but they didn't explain that it would make sure they lived in penury when they got older. If I knew then what I know now I would have worked harder at getting a better pension together and retiring earlier, but I didn't so I couldn't, toughski. It is not good to generalise too much and shove everyone in the same bracket. Everyone's circumstances are different, you ask an MP. Chill!
oldman
Even the poorest of pensioners I have met were nothing like what Age Concern would have us believe - some of them own their own homes of course and are better off, but most of them live in normal council houses and are on the most basic state pension. I don't see, and never have done, this level of poverty comparable to a Somalian child that the media would like us to believe.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 5:13pm
Regardless of how poor or well off an elderly person is no amount of money can stop the ravages of time. Unfortunately forgetfulness, senility etc sets in and it doesn't matter how many times the elderly are warned, its soon forgotten. This has nothing to do with your social status, its just life. This is were family and friends can help and step in. It is not easy for elderly people to adopt modern technology, even though they think it is and this maybe one of the ways to help. If you recognise elderly relatives or friends struggling with credit or debit cards it may be fairer to persuade them to give them up. It seems to me more and more are getting scammed through the use of cards which they would never let happen with pound notes.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 6:36pm
Well said bert, that MattLFC mustn't half hate old folks. He thinks he's going to stay young forever like Cliff Richard.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 6:37pm
Where have I said I hate them? I hate the media brainwashing about pensioners.

wink
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 6:44pm
I know, I know. It's a laugh.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Holiday Prize Telephone Scam - 29th Oct 2009 6:45pm
Gotta laugh then, lol tease
© Wirral-Wikiwirral