Forums
Posted By: paula re buying a secondhand car - 26th Jul 2009 7:16pm
can anyone help me out i purchased a secondhand ford focus from a garage 6 days ago for 1500 pounds, they said it didnt come with a warranty beacause it was a part ex and me being stupid bought it. thought i would be fine i booked the car in for a service at ford to be safe as it hadnt had one for 2 years to find it needed a water pump which i had done at the same time 600 pounds later i am still having problems, as when i am slowing down at lights or to turn the corners ie dropping down the gears the car is cutting out i feel robbed it is going back in to fords tomorrow to hav diagnostics done on it another 100 pounds i just dont know what to do can any one help me out thanks paula.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: re buying a secondhand car - 26th Jul 2009 7:33pm
Hi paula, i work for a van company, by law if you have any unsatisfactory views about a vehicle you have bought from us (px or retail) we have to refund your cash if within 31 days of purchase.
Thats providing you as the customer hasn`t caused a major problem yourself.
Not sure where you go to look into it if refused but i`m sure someone on here can point you in the right direction wink

Good luck smile
Posted By: paula Re: re buying a secondhand car - 26th Jul 2009 9:10pm
thanks steve for your quick response i feel so let down i am gonna ring the garage tomorrow cheers paula.
Posted By: Wench Re: re buying a secondhand car - 26th Jul 2009 9:25pm
See PM Paula wink
Posted By: MrPhil Re: re buying a secondhand car - 26th Jul 2009 10:20pm
where did you buy the car paula?
Posted By: paula Re: re buying a secondhand car - 26th Jul 2009 10:39pm
prenton motor company borough rd birkenhead.
Posted By: paula Re: re buying a secondhand car - 26th Jul 2009 10:44pm
excuse my ignorance but what is pm x
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: re buying a secondhand car - 26th Jul 2009 10:58pm
Private message. See 'my stuff' at top of page. Good luck paula
Posted By: DavidB Re: re buying a secondhand car - 27th Jul 2009 5:49pm
Contact Trading Standards if you don't get results. Keep everything including receipts. If they have been approved by Wirral Borough Trading Standards, there's a better chance if you don't get results. Car traders are an easy job to get results from as there are so many laws etc covering car sales.

Also, if you ever get repairs done at a garage, tell them you want to see the old parts if anything gets replaced!!!!!!!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: re buying a secondhand car - 27th Jul 2009 9:31pm
If the vehicle was sold for "spares or repair" as a lot of part-ex vehicles are, then you have no comeback to be honest. It has to clearly state this on the reciept however. Reason being, if they sold it for spares or repair, then they are essentially selling it as faulty, and you are purchasing it to either repair, or break for spares. Of course it does not always mean the vehicle is faulty (quite often they will work just as well as a warranted car), its just a loophole they use to get out of having to provide a warranty.

If they did not sell it for spares or repair, all traders have to by law, warrant the vehicle (non-commercial sales at least) for a period of 3 months from the date the vehicle was sold against failiure (not wear and tear caused by yourself).

If it is a private seller, there is no regulations, but as its a trader, they have responsibilities and if they are failing to comply with regulation, go to trading standards.
Posted By: paula Re: re buying a secondhand car - 27th Jul 2009 10:06pm
no i didnt buy for spares or repair they even got a 12month mot put on the car all i want is for it to run properly so i feel safe driving to work.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: re buying a secondhand car - 27th Jul 2009 10:13pm
Have you actually spoken to the garage about it as yet, and if so, what was their response?

Because from what you have said, it appears you have had the service etc, done of your own accord, and the garage are blisfully unaware of the troubles you are having.

If this is the case, then it looks a little unfair towards the garage if they have not actually had any oppotunity to rectify the problems.

If Ford have replaced the water pump, without prior permission from the garage, don't expect them to cover this, and they could also quite easily say any further problems may have been caused by Ford (third party) and the warranty may well be void.

Btw, Ford, like all dealers atm, are finding it very tough, and may rip you off in any way they can, if they think they can get away with it, so be vigilant. Id have gone to a backstreet garage I trust, and if I didnt know of one, got a second opinion before authorising them to replace anything, unless it was clearly faulty/causing a problem - especially when you are talking £500+.
Posted By: paula Re: re buying a secondhand car - 27th Jul 2009 10:16pm
the reason i never got in touch with the garage is they told me the car was sold without a warranty sold as seen as it was a part ex car cheers paula.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: re buying a secondhand car - 27th Jul 2009 10:22pm
I don;t think a trader is allowed to sell it as "sold as seen" - they are only allowed to do this if its being sold for spares or repair.

Ive bough a car in the past from a dealer, and it was sold-as-seen, and the invoice quite clearly stated for spares or repair, even though the car was in mint condition, running 100% and had a full-MOT. But the dealer put on the receipt that it was being sold for spares or repair, and when I enquired he said that was because they were not warranting the vehicle (it too was a part-ex and I was getting it at a significant discount so they could make space).

Im pretty sure they legally obliged to warrant all cars for 3 months if they are a trader, regardless of what they say. A lot fo dealers will say it has no warranty, meaning they are not providing an extended warranty with the car (12 month for instance) to save a bit of cash, but this does not affect your statutory rights.

Does the reciept mention anything about the warranty?
Posted By: MrPhil Re: re buying a secondhand car - 28th Jul 2009 1:43pm
Originally Posted by paula
no i didnt buy for spares or repair they even got a 12month mot put on the car all i want is for it to run properly so i feel safe driving to work.

For them to do that it was a SALE from the business. Get your money back and go somewhere else to buy a car.

And Mat am pretty sure it is 30days warrenty.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: re buying a secondhand car - 28th Jul 2009 1:49pm
Paula i see you said you have taken it to fords for a diagnostic check? What were their results?

If your car is the 1.6se engine then these suffer from coil pack failure, and a sticky ICV (idle control valve)

Does the car stay at the same rev while at standstill? Does the car feel sluggish? Do the revs drop then raise?
Posted By: paula Re: re buying a secondhand car - 28th Jul 2009 9:39pm
yes this is exactly what happens do you know what the fault is cheers paula.
Posted By: lamb44 Re: re buying a secondhand car - 28th Jul 2009 9:41pm
hi paula it could be ic it happend to me a similar thing thanks
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: re buying a secondhand car - 29th Jul 2009 1:20pm
i had a look at this today turns out the thermostat housing has been replaced with one without the thread for the temp sensor! so this part has been ordered laugh
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: re buying a secondhand car - 4th Aug 2009 12:49pm
quick clean of the ICV and its running sweet too laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral