Forums
Posted By: purfek Duty of Care - 1st May 2009 9:28pm
I would appriciate any advice really hmm, as I seem to be hitting brick walls of silence.I am a tenant in a grade 2 listed building which is due to have its roof removed. So far the scaffold has gone up and the over roof is due to go on in the next few weeks.

I raised concerns with both my landlord and local council (whom are supportive) that taking the roof off will leave the elderly tenants on the top floor only inches away from the outside world, the top floor flats are what is called attic space flats and do not have any loft space so it will be plaster board then the outside world. I was amazed to hear that the landlord feels that its ok to leave the elderly on the top floor whilst the works are in progress

(six months of work to go).The noise from having some of the roof timbers stripped out and risk of burgulary
are very worrying. The building has fine lead detailing which may be a target for some.

Both my MPs have raised concerns about the risk of burgulary and the fear associated. Does my landlord have any obligation to provide security? taking into account our high listed status? they are already suffering loss of light due to the over roof and loss of privacy as contractors peer in through windows.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Duty of Care - 1st May 2009 9:46pm
Health and safety would be my first port of call.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Duty of Care - 1st May 2009 10:06pm
Duty of care by the contractors, it is an unacceptable risk that workers will be above residents with tools and equipment with only plasterboard to protect any drops - including the builder falling. Ask for details of the builders 3rd party liability insurance, then phone the insurance company!

PJ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Duty of Care - 1st May 2009 10:08pm
PS might be worthwhile phoning landlords insurance as well, his certificate will be on the wall somewhere.
Posted By: purfek Re: Duty of Care - 1st May 2009 10:24pm
thanks I will try that on Tuesday (bank holiday coming up) the landlord isnt bothered he said so, he said its up to the contractor?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Duty of Care - 1st May 2009 10:33pm
Even if the landlord doesn't give one, that doesn't stop his insurance from being twitchy, they may always be in for a 50/50 liability with the contractors insurance if something happened.
Posted By: purfek Re: Duty of Care - 1st May 2009 10:38pm
thankyou I really appriciate your advice, so far no one has been able to offer any suggestions so its really appriciated. I will start the ball rolling on Tuesday,
thnku
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Duty of Care - 2nd May 2009 1:16am
Hmmm, theres also cause for concern over idiots climbing the scaffolding for `fun`
This doesn`t sound very proffesional to be leaving tennants in whilst changing the roof either think
Posted By: purfek Re: Duty of Care - 3rd May 2009 1:37am
thanku all i will let u know
Posted By: Wench Re: Duty of Care - 3rd May 2009 2:07pm
Only just seen this post. I'll do some digging later and get back to you asap.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Duty of Care - 3rd May 2009 8:13pm
I was getting worried that you didn't step in on this one PJ.
Posted By: purfek Re: Duty of Care - 3rd May 2009 8:41pm
thanku,
Posted By: purfek Re: Duty of Care - 6th May 2009 10:44pm
spoken to the contractors they said they dont communicate with us and that I have to get in touch with the landlord, *sighs* tried contacting the landlord several times but no returned calls. I have also contacted wirral environmental health (health and safety) they just said they would get back to me! so there u go not much luck.
Posted By: Wench Re: Duty of Care - 6th May 2009 11:10pm
I've got a friend looking into it for you as it's not my area - as soon as he gets back to me I'll let you know hon.
Posted By: purfek Re: Duty of Care - 6th May 2009 11:15pm
thanku
Posted By: Wench Re: Duty of Care - 6th May 2009 11:17pm
Nay worries - that's what Wiki's here for wink
Posted By: purfek Re: Duty of Care - 20th May 2009 9:08pm
One of the flats sprung a leak via the roof yesterday, which wasnt supprising considering all the rain we have had, needless to say the landlord just shrugged his shoulders, Ive been in touch with wirral federation of tenants but they were not very helpfull! Ive also been in touch with a solictor (burd ward) in Wallasey although they would fight the case via legal aid any compensation paid by the solicitor being successfull in winning the case would have to go back to paying legal aid *lol* seems abit of a loose loose situation (dam labour government). I could take up the case myself (through small claims court) but, I would be up against their solicitor (landlord).
what fun!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral