Forums
Posted By: Brocks Inheritance conflict...what are my rights - 6th Dec 2008 5:22pm
Are there any Probate solicitors on here?

My dad died last May (8 months ago). The estate was left to me and my three brothers. Our relationship is stormy to say the least. Normally taking two sides. Before Dad died, his house had been on the market and has failed to sell. It has been on the market now for 2 years without an offer for 23 months!

Two brothers, one from each side of the split are the executors. One brother has basically said the other can do it all (up until now). The funds for the estate have been collected, and are ready for distribution. The remaining issue is the house.

The “other” side as I will call them have taken to using the collected pot as a piggy bank to dip into for home improvements and the like without agreement from all 4 beneficiaries. Their view is as long as there is a majority vote they can spend what they like. This has made my blood boil as I have never agreed to any of their spending.

Recently the main executor asked what we should do following the receipt of a hand written note at my parents house offering to rent for 6 months with a view to buy. Now all hell has broken loose.

The other side (inc silent executor) is adamant the house WILL be rented and they have started the ball rolling. The other executor said he favoured auction but has now started to prefer renting.

I have stated that I want to Auction the house, and the funds shared. I want out. I also said if they want to buy me out I will listen to offers.

So far the response has been "Tough, we are renting and there is nothing you can do to stop it".

All I want is my share and the right to walk away. I have no intention of entering into a business arrangement with the family on these terms.

What can I do?
Posted By: Mark Re: Inheritance conflict...what are my rights - 29th Dec 2008 12:17am
You can apply for a "Cavadat" probably spelt wrong.
Basically what it does is puts a stop to any probate proceedings allowing you time to think.

I got one from liverpool courts and it cost £5
Boy it peed of my relative.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral