Forums
Posted By: Macca GSI Private plate letter spacing - 5th Dec 2008 10:47am
Whats the deal with the police over private plate letter spacing?

cheers
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Private plate letter spacing - 5th Dec 2008 12:44pm
must be as it is on the V5

Otherwise, £30 fine each time you are stopped
Posted By: CustomIce Re: Private plate letter spacing - 5th Dec 2008 1:15pm
It has to be on the correct size plate, correct font and colour, correct letter size and positioning, or the fuzz will punish you wink

Posted By: Macca GSI Re: Private plate letter spacing - 5th Dec 2008 4:33pm
So all they cud give me is a £30 fine?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Private plate letter spacing - 5th Dec 2008 5:05pm
If its a cherished number they can also confiscate the plate.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Private plate letter spacing - 5th Dec 2008 6:12pm
Originally Posted by Macca GSI
So all they cud give me is a £30 fine?

Yeah, that's all, no points, just a fine of £30.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Private plate letter spacing - 5th Dec 2008 7:26pm
Thats a question for Auditastic me thinks, direct from the mouth of justice!!! thumbsup
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Private plate letter spacing - 5th Dec 2008 8:36pm
£30 cause the police cant read ? Who are they kidding ?
Posted By: dave_g Re: Private plate letter spacing - 5th Dec 2008 9:44pm
should be like the yanks an be able to have wotever on your plate(within reason!)the government could make money from that instead of taxin us motorists to death!!
Posted By: Wench Re: Private plate letter spacing - 6th Dec 2008 12:42am
This gives you most of the details you need to know happy

clicky
Posted By: dave_g Re: Private plate letter spacing - 6th Dec 2008 12:45am
i meant stuff like... i could have "dave g" etc...
Posted By: Wench Re: Private plate letter spacing - 6th Dec 2008 12:46am
Originally Posted by SoundLad
£30 cause the police cant read ? Who are they kidding ?

Not quite raftl They just enforce the law, the Government make it.

The Motor Car Act 1903, which came into force on 1 January 1904, required all motor vehicles to be entered on to the Government's vehicle register, and to carry number plates. The Act was passed in order that vehicles could be easily traced in the event of an accident or contravention of the law. Vehicle registration number plates in the UK are rectangular or square in shape, with the exact permitted dimensions of the plate and its lettering set down in law.

Within the UK itself there are currently two numbering and registration systems: one for Great Britain, which is administered by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), and one for Northern Ireland, administered by the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA), however both have equal status. Other schemes relating to the UK are also listed below.

Colour and dimensions

Black number plates with white or silver characters are permitted on vehicles manufactured before 1973.Current plates have black characters on white reflective material (for the front plate) or on yellow reflective material (for the rear plate).

Older British plates had white, grey or silver characters on a black background. This style of plate was phased out in 1972, and is now legal to be carried only on vehicles built prior to 1 January 1973.

Front number plates are 520 mm x 111 mm (20.5" x 4 ³/8") in size. Rear plates may be 520 mm x 111 mm (Standard), 285 mm x 203 mm (Square, as at July 2007) 533 mm x 152 mm (large).

Motorcycles formerly had a double-sided number plate on top of the front mudguard, curved to follow the contour of the wheel and visible from the sides. The requirement for the front number plate was dropped in 1975 because of the severe danger these presented to pedestrians in the event of a collision.
Posted By: Wench Re: Private plate letter spacing - 6th Dec 2008 12:50am
Originally Posted by dave_g
i meant stuff like... i could have "dave g" etc...

Yeah, SpeedyReg do them. You have to check with the DVLA though in case the one you want is taken.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Private plate letter spacing - 6th Dec 2008 10:01am
Thanks for that jay happy lol
Posted By: Wench Re: Private plate letter spacing - 6th Dec 2008 11:33am
I could have saved myself a lot of time had the question been asked that way in the first place raftl

But, always happy to help thumbsup raftl
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: Private plate letter spacing - 6th Dec 2008 12:17pm
yes 30£ fines will be comming your way if it isnt exactly as on the v5. ive had about 6 this year! next time its the reg taken from me!
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Private plate letter spacing - 6th Dec 2008 12:34pm
Originally Posted by exploding_penguin
yes 30£ fines will be comming your way if it isnt exactly as on the v5. ive had about 6 this year! next time its the reg taken from me!

normally its after two times..must have had some lienient coppers stop you.

its all to do with ANPR...nothing to do with cops reading ability nor taxing the motorist
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Private plate letter spacing - 6th Dec 2008 4:42pm
Originally Posted by Auditastic
its all to do with ANPR...nothing to do with cops reading ability nor taxing the motorist

Yeah, but lets be honest also, some of the plats a totally rediculous and could never be red by a human qithout looking carefully, and of course a plate can be evidence in an accident etc...

I wonder what all the drivers with the fancy writing would do, if their car got robbed, they would have little chance of finding haha!!

Would serve them right though. I don't get why some people insist on using blatently illegal plates. Some illegal plate's you see, take the pi$$. The cops should come down harder on it, I know a mate who had them on for like 2 years, only pulled once in all that time...
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Private plate letter spacing - 6th Dec 2008 5:22pm
said it before and i'll say it again, private plates look totally naff - just make ya look like a posin git

anyone getting a £30 for their plates and is happy to accept it needs their head checking!!
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: Private plate letter spacing - 7th Dec 2008 2:42pm
Originally Posted by Auditastic

normally its after two times..must have had some lienient coppers stop you.

its was 2 diffrent forces Mersyside and cheshire but still 3 by each!
that was what the cops said to me made the anpr go off as it didnt recognise the reg first time!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Private plate letter spacing - 7th Dec 2008 3:35pm
Originally Posted by Davey_Martin
said it before and i'll say it again, private plates look totally naff - just make ya look like a posin git

anyone getting a £30 for their plates and is happy to accept it needs their head checking!!

IMO A privte plate is the most individual way you can modify your car....

...by "private plate" I mean something with your initials etc, not something with a modified font.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Private plate letter spacing - 7th Dec 2008 3:43pm
yea that's fair enough, wouldnt say it's the most individual way to modify ur car tho lol

and yea, the kind of tat i mean is like wot scott had on his car a while ago lol tease... ford badges with flames coming off them and some mad font haha
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Private plate letter spacing - 7th Dec 2008 4:12pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac

IMO A privte plate is the most individual way you can modify your car....

...by "private plate" I mean something with your initials etc, not something with a modified font.

Ah, but Stuy, a private plate is legal and wont get you a fine. Unless the font is wrong of course lmao.

laugh
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: Private plate letter spacing - 8th Dec 2008 9:30am
Originally Posted by MattLFC

Ah, but Stuy, a private plate is legal and wont get you a fine. Unless the font is wrong of course lmao.

laugh

or if its spaced incorecly or has black bolts on the yellow boarder or if the plate is the wrong size....................
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Private plate letter spacing - 8th Dec 2008 9:33am
Or a St Georges Cross or even the Union Jack on it...

How silly is that I ask thee?!

somad
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Private plate letter spacing - 8th Dec 2008 9:47am
yea that's fair enough, wouldnt say it's the most individual way to modify ur car tho lol

Why not - its unique - no one can have the same registration think
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Private plate letter spacing - 8th Dec 2008 10:25am
lol not being able to have the same registration isnt really a mod tho is it? unless ur daft enough to pay through the nose for a plate of course
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Private plate letter spacing - 8th Dec 2008 10:29am
I would'nt say its daft, cos they are a personal choice. I would'nt personally spend the money on one, but that's my choice lol.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Private plate letter spacing - 8th Dec 2008 10:43am
lol not being able to have the same registration isnt really a mod tho is it? unless ur daft enough to pay through the nose for a plate of course

Id class a mod as something that alters the apperance of the car, which a private plate will.

Personally Id say £30 is paying through the nose for a set of lex-arse lights, but each to their own....

Either way, this is going off topic now grin
© Wirral-Wikiwirral