Forums
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 1st Oct 2006 11:18pm
Most of you have seen my latest motor, had it about 3 months now. Gone back to my roots with another suzuki 4x4 smile This one won't be getting b.astardised like the last one though... much tease

It's standard bar a minor fatboy kit, an A bar and some side steps (or "rock sliders" as I call them)

Me being me I've been off roading it a bit, and recently I borrowed some bigger tyres on alloy wheels from mike (my little bro) for an off road event this weekend. Pics from that can be seen here: click me (dial-up viewers put the kettle on) The white samurai is my old one, now owned by my bro.

Here's some of my own pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C+C's welcome smile
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 1st Oct 2006 11:21pm
Oh, err it's now minus the mud flaps as they got in the way today, and plus a small, hardly noticable modification to the back bumper after using my right foot too much on a steep incline (skipped sideways into a rock smack )
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 1st Oct 2006 11:42pm
gutted about the back bumper mod.

looks great mate, makes me want to get one after being in yours on the beach, just looks so much fun

any new mods planned?

that offraoding looks amazing fun, where about is it? you gotta pay to go on it?
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 1st Oct 2006 11:59pm
The back bumper's not a problem, sounds worse than it looks, and everything still works.

Most sites are pay and play, that one's in Mouldsworth quarry, inbetween Chester and Helsby and costs £25 for the day. Open on the first sunday of every month. There's a small site in Bromborough that's free that I'll have to show you sometime. I think it's council development land but it's been untouched in years, there's plenty for 4x4s and crossers alike.

As for future mods, I don't want to do much as I'll be returning it to standard to sell before I go to Oz next September. I can get an easy-to-fit 1.25" lift kit for it for £100, as soon as that's on I'll have some bigger tyres underneath it. I want to install a CB radio too as they come in really handy for off roading days.

Main aim is to stop it looking like a hairdressers car!

You still thinking about a Samurai? If so stop thinking and start doing!
Posted By: Mark Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 2nd Oct 2006 12:02am
I looked at the link you posted,
and i was going to reply and say,

Jim your car looks best dirty !
Then i scrolled down your topic.

And now i have to say it looks great
dirty and shiny happy
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 2nd Oct 2006 12:14am
happy cheers webby
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 2nd Oct 2006 12:18am
Originally posted by jimbo4x4:
You still thinking about a Samurai? If so stop thinking and start doing!
maybe not a samurai, but a 4x4 of some kind. The only thing thats holding me back is a garage to store my beemer whilst im using it, cas I aint paying for insurance for both at the same time!
Posted By: scoop Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 3rd Oct 2006 1:57pm
[Linked Image]

Nice to see ur bro's looking after my old seats lol. Sweet pics mate.*******ise it more,y'know ye want te.I'd love to get into off roading but cant afford to
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 3rd Oct 2006 11:42pm
Originally posted by scoop2004:
I'd love to get into off roading but cant afford to
Lol, me neither mate! Hence another reason why I don't wanna do much to it. What I've got lined up will drastically improve the off road performance and get things sweet in the looks dept. too, so I can have a little play about in it every now and then and still keep it looking smart for road use and cruises... or that's the plan doh
Posted By: Scooby Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 4th Oct 2006 12:28am
Bollicks to Cruising mate, after looking at the link at the top of the page with your pics on i want a go.......

[Linked Image]

We went to Toms Farm last weekend on my quad and shelby's quad too, that was awesome.

You been to tom's yet james ??
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 4th Oct 2006 12:32am
cheers for taking me off-roading jim, it was brill. I gotta get myself a 4x4 now!! it'll look amazin with them huuuge 31" wheels on lol
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 5th Oct 2006 10:13pm
Heya Jay, not been to Toms farm meself but my bro's been a couple of times, I've heard it's a goodun but the mud can be quite damaging to bearings etc. I'd want diff breathers and a seperate daily driver to do it in the vit!
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 5th Oct 2006 10:15pm
Joe, I guess that means I succeeded in my mission? tease
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 5th Oct 2006 11:21pm
possibly....we'll have to see tease
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 8th Oct 2006 5:08pm
frown Spoken to the fella who's gonna sort me out with my lift kit, and he's not gonna have any more in for 4-6 weeks cry gutted, was hoping to have a chance at car of the year.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 8th Oct 2006 5:41pm
gutted for ya mate frown no other suppliers got em in stock?
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 8th Oct 2006 6:38pm
Na not in this shape, it's unique to this guys design. Anything else will throw my camber out. Ah well, I'll just have to wait!
Posted By: scoop Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 8th Oct 2006 7:16pm
gutted mate,it'll look mint with the lift kit on. Get scoobys bitch to go with u one day lol.Get that pink paint job a lil dirty
Posted By: Scoobys b*tch Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 8th Oct 2006 8:01pm
ive gotta say it was fun when me and max came off roading in ur vitara in bromborough that day lol. i was no way gonna put my jeep through all that, it might have got a scratch lol. I like your shiney wheels and i think all cars look better when they are clean but off roading is great fun ha ha. when we went to toms farm on the quads the other weekend it made me want to bring my jeep but then i soon changed my mind when i saw what the other jeeps were doing. crazy
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 8th Oct 2006 9:14pm
Lol, Click me for pictures of a typical "Tom's Farm" outing.

Is this why you wouldn't take your vit, kim? laugh I don't blame you tbh! Although I wouldn't give it a seconds thought in the samurai tease
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 8th Oct 2006 9:15pm
Lmfao, I had to post this one up:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 8th Oct 2006 10:45pm
oshocked whos is that?
Posted By: Scoobys b*tch Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 9th Oct 2006 4:51pm
they are great pics of what goes on at toms farm, tis a very good day out. if you fancy going one day then let me know and i will join you but wont be going off road in my vitara lol
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 9th Oct 2006 6:37pm
Originally Posted by BeemerRacer28
oshocked whos is that?

smack That, had obviously been rolled and trashed, and left to rot at the site lol. The fella in the pic probably found it and couldn't miss the photo opportunity.
Posted By: scoop Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 9th Oct 2006 6:44pm
aint got an engine in has it? what are the odds of writing ur car off there jimbo, cos it looks easy as fook to roll em and bend em up something rotten
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 9th Oct 2006 10:09pm
Yeah the odds are pretty high scoop, unless you're properly prep'd out. Hence why the Vit ain't going there, but like I said I'd jump at the chance to take the samurai lol.
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 13th Oct 2006 9:29pm
I got a nice suprise on my birthday (yesterday) smile

My bro spoke to the fella who was gonna supply me with the lift kit, and he said he had a kit under his bed that he was saving for his own vitara, only the bits that were usually made out of mild steel were made in stainless on this set wink My bro told him how gutted I was about having to wait 4-6 weeks for a kit, and that my 21st was coming up soon. So, of course, he managed to get the stainless steel kit for my bday happy
Posted By: Dazza Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 14th Oct 2006 12:09pm
Woot nice!
Shiney stuff too, take some pics of before/after its fitted. Will look very nice laugh
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 14th Oct 2006 1:25pm
wehay! what a top suprise! as dazza said, take some piccies so we can all have a nosey
Posted By: spinking Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 15th Oct 2006 10:18am
Looking good matey.

How high will it sit with the kit on???
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 15th Oct 2006 9:40pm
Cheers all, I should be able to get it fitted this sunday. It'll sit a minimum of 1.25" higher, but probably more like 2" (50mm). It's made up of a selection of spacers, so it's cheap but won't take away as much of the road holding as extended springs/shocks would. More importantly I'll be able to fit the tyres I want under the arches smile
Posted By: Scoobys b*tch Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 16th Oct 2006 10:17pm
I cant wait to see your car with its new mods, spray it pink and we can have twins lol.
you gonna get a hard top for the winter mate?
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 18th Oct 2006 10:53pm
Too expensive hun, and a pain in the arse to store when you wanna take it off! I had one for the samurai, and it was quieter and safer but no warmer. I still need to get the heaters fixed in this anyway! It's a dashboard-out jobbie though doh
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 19th Oct 2006 8:38pm
Webby's done me a pretty decent transfer for the spare wheel cover. Maybe if I'm lucky he'll post up the pic he took after fitting it smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 20th Oct 2006 1:02am
[Linked Image]

There you go smile
Posted By: Scoobys b*tch Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 20th Oct 2006 7:37am
ohhh looks very nice. you got any pics with ur kit on yet mate?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 20th Oct 2006 5:21pm
I like it thumbsup
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 20th Oct 2006 7:52pm
For anyone who doesn't know, "realm" is a boardriding company like quicksilver or billabong, just saying coz webby had to ask me tease

Thanks for the replies, Should be fitting the lift kit this sunday, touch wood.
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 22nd Oct 2006 9:16pm
Lol, I started the suspension lift today, only I got rained off half-way through. So I'm now driving round in a raked-up vit! Looks pretty cool imo so I don't mind leaving it for a couple of days, I hear the front's harder to do anyway. I should have Tuesday afternoon off work so I can get it sorted then.

Pics to follow in a few mins laugh
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 22nd Oct 2006 10:33pm
First of all a few more pics I found of the off roading at Mouldsworth the other week:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

smile
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 22nd Oct 2006 10:52pm
Right, I started with the rear suspension, simply because if I got rained off I could leave it with just the back lifted 'til I got chance to finish the job, giving it a raked look. I was also told it was easier to do lol.

So first of all I jacked the back of vit up then supported the chassis on axle stands, then, with the wheels off, I jacked up the hub slightly on the side I was going to do first:

[Linked Image]

This takes the pressure off the shock and *supposedly* makes it easier to remove. As you can see in the pic below, the nib on the top of the shock that you're supposed to clamp on to to undo it, is badly rusted. I had a go and just stripped it frown I ended up just pulling the shock cover off and using mole grips to clamp to the top of the shock:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Once the shock was off I lowered the jack to pull the spring out.
Here's one of the spring spacers:

[Linked Image]

They sit on the top of the spring to provide the lift, with the recess sitting at the end of the spring. Here's my bro mike getting a 1.25" lift tease :

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And the shock spacer screws onto the top of the shock, before going into the original mounting point using the poly bushes supplied:

[Linked Image]

All fitted together:

[Linked Image]

And repeated on the other side happy :

[Linked Image]

All done:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

thumbsup
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 22nd Oct 2006 10:56pm
Hopefully I'll get the front done on Tuesday afternoon, it involves taking the half shafts out doh
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 22nd Oct 2006 11:56pm
looks very high, lookin' good though. was it easy to do?

when you gettin the wheels?
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 23rd Oct 2006 5:14pm
It was easy, if the shocks were new it'd have been done in less than an hour.

The lad I'm getting the wheels/tyres off needs them this week, so I might fit the AT's I had for the off roading day until they become available.
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 31st Oct 2006 6:10pm
It's been on the full lift for a week now, handles slightly better than a boat (better than i was expecting). I'll try and get some pics up soon, it looks great and I'm really pleased. Been off roading at the weekend to test it out and I was very impressed. Snapped a half shaft on a rocky section though, not to worry as it's cheap and easy to fix, just I'm stuck in rwd until it's sorted.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 31st Oct 2006 6:35pm
thats crazy that you can just shrug it off and keep driving lol
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 31st Oct 2006 11:21pm
I apologise for the quality of these, they were taken on a mobile phone:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 31st Oct 2006 11:42pm
them wheels look well funky on rough terrain all the different cambers lol

lookin smart though thumbsup
Posted By: Scoobys b*tch Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 1st Nov 2006 8:24am
wow that looks cool mate, your wheels look like one of those cartoon cars in that pic lol. bet ur made up with it.
Posted By: Scoobys b*tch Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 1st Nov 2006 8:32am
i just thought maybe we could have a mini photoshoot wiv the 4x4s off the forums, errm i think thats just urs and mine lol. what you think?
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 1st Nov 2006 7:08pm
Sounds good to me Kim laugh give me some time to get my wheels sorted and my half shaft fixed, then I'll be all up for it.
Posted By: spinking Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 1st Nov 2006 7:14pm
Originally Posted by jimbo4x4
I apologise for the quality of these, they were taken on a mobile phone:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks great that thumbsup

If you want matey when you n Kim do th photo shoot i can lend you my camara if you like aslong as you dont break it.

You'll have to take us off road somtime as i must be mad.
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 1st Nov 2006 7:48pm
Thanks for the offer Tupac, I actually have a digital camera, just didn't have it with me on that day. Yeah when I get my Half-shaft fixed I'll take you out mate, you ever been off roading before?
Posted By: Scoobys b*tch Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 1st Nov 2006 8:23pm
Sounds good to me Kim laugh give me some time to get my wheels sorted and my half shaft fixed, then I'll be all up for it.

Fantastic! happy
Posted By: spinking Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 1st Nov 2006 10:29pm
Thanks for the offer Tupac, I actually have a digital camera, just didn't have it with me on that day. Yeah when I get my Half-shaft fixed I'll take you out mate, you ever been off roading before?

Only off roading i have done as such is when i spin on the track and end up going across the grass in which case i close my eyes n hope for the best raftl

I'll take ya drifting in return (as soon as i can do it right)
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 1st Nov 2006 11:45pm
Heh, it's so much more fun taking out people who haven't done it before, you get to see the amazement on their faces smile either that or you make them ill lol. I'll look forward to the drifting mate, and I'll give you a buzz when I've sorted my halfshaft.
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 15th Nov 2006 8:51pm
I'm back! Computer failed on me last Thursday, all sorted now though. Finally got some decent pics of the vit lifted (even if they are in the dark), and a couple showing you the half-shaft damage :-S I'm assured there's another one in the post to me atm.

Attached picture 162-Liftcomplete1.jpg
Attached picture 163-Liftcomplete2.jpg
Attached picture 164-Snappedhalfshaft1.jpg
Attached picture 165-Snappedhalfshaft2.jpg
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 15th Nov 2006 10:39pm
oooo nicely snapped lol
Posted By: Mark Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 16th Nov 2006 11:13am
owch omg

How come it snapped?
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 16th Nov 2006 7:18pm
Lol, that's off roading mate! My road tyres are too grippy for rock surfaces. I wound the transmission up on a steep rocky climb, gave it a little too much right foot and one front wheel bounced in the air. When it landed all the power to the spinning wheel had to go somewhere, it went into snapping my half shaft! I'm just glad it was this that went and not the diff-casing, as they're a regular problem on these and a bitch to fix. At least the half shaft is only a 20min job
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: Jimbo : Suzuki Vitara Sport - 27th Nov 2006 11:40pm
Latest off roading:

http://www.difflock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=21333#21333

Tupac, PM me your no. mate and I'll give you a shout next time I'm going wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral