Forums
Posted By: MattLFC MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 9th Feb 2007 12:38am
Right peeps, as some of you will know, I bought a 306 last week. Anyway, its nout special (although I have since found out that the interior is quite a unique colour - "Assam Velour" I believe, in other words to common folk like me, beige), but I thought as well make an MMC about it. Originally I didnt think much of the car when I bought it on eBay, but I am growing quite attatched to it now, its a decent lil runner, quite pokey and I am actually really liking the interior colour and standards of build quality (im used to boring old black/grey cheaper Clio Mk1 interiors mind you).

I got it cheap off eBay, and it needs a few jobs doing to it as the previous owner hasnt really had much in the way of services done to it in the last 2 years, which I am going to do when the weather improves (too cold for me atm haha):

- Rocker Gasket
- Oil/Filter Change
- Coolant Change
- Power steering and drive belt replacements

But basically it runs fine and will get my arse from A to B hopefully for the next few months at least (if it blows up in 5 months hopefully it wont matter to me haha). I was originally looking at getting an XRDT and doing a stage 1 tune up on it, and this I am still planning to do. The main reason I have bought this car is cos I cudnt be arsed being without a car anymore (laziness) and I havent found an XRDT on the Wirral that I have liked and cant be arsed goin outside of Wirral to get one (again, laziness).

As im still planning on an XRDT, I won't be doin much in the way of mods to this car (besides its not really worth it, its just warmer then walking), but I am looking at doing the following mods:

- Some decent alloys (as far as wheel trims go, the ones on it are awful and broken to fook on one side)
- Better ICE setup
- K&N Air filter
- Maybe a decent backbox
- Few minor cosmetic touches?? (need to sort the replaced door trim for starters)

Anyway, heres the pics of it, I was going to get it cleaned before I took the pics, but with all the snow and rain of late I cant be bothered till it goes nice again! So its dirty as hell!

Attached picture cruisewirral-304-101_0079.JPG
Attached picture cruisewirral-305-102_0104.JPG
Attached picture cruisewirral-306-102_0105.JPG
Attached picture cruisewirral-307-102_0109.JPG
Attached picture cruisewirral-308-102_0110.JPG
Attached picture cruisewirral-309-102_0111.JPG
Attached picture cruisewirral-310-102_0102.JPG
Attached picture cruisewirral-311-102_0106.JPG
Posted By: Mark Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 9th Feb 2007 12:41am
Ive seen it and its a great buy for the price.

Dont get too attached matty lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 9th Feb 2007 12:45am
I know im trying not to get too attatched cos its high mileage and just isnt worth much effort in the long run, plus im still lookin for an XRDT... but I can't help it lol!

Amazingly, ive liked the 306's for years, before I got me first Clio I was gonna get one, so I spose it was inevitable id make the jump to the "other" frogs wheels one day!

Hehe smile
Posted By: Matty GTI Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 9th Feb 2007 1:43am
another matty and another pug, welcome 2 team france mate, lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 9th Feb 2007 3:19am
Originally Posted by Matty GTI
another matty and another pug, welcome 2 team france mate, lol
Indeed hehe smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 9th Feb 2007 8:30am
The poor environment wink

Glad to see your back on the road again matey, but why the XRDT and not the DTurbo think

Nice little motors the 306's We used to get the 1.4s as hire cars a few years ago, handle quite nicely with a nice lift off oversteer, but IMO the 1.4 8v motor was very underpowered and needed a bit more frown

The 3dr DTurbo is a much better looking car...
Posted By: Pomp Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 9th Feb 2007 3:11pm
Very nice colour interia, love the seats they look comfy.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 9th Feb 2007 5:15pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
The poor environment wink
Hahaha you still remember that! Dont tell greenpeace whatever ya do hehe!

Originally Posted by StuyMac
Glad to see your back on the road again matey, but why the XRDT and not the DTurbo think
Two reasons really, the XRDT and XLDT are actually faster then the D-Turbo in acceleration (0-60 in 12 seconds as opposed to 13.3 seconds) at standard, and secondly the D-Turbo, whilst available in 5 door, is very rare to find in 5 door. Its far easier to get hold of an XRDT in 5 door, and I personally prefer 5 doors cars for standard cars for practicality.

Originally Posted by Pomp
Very nice colour interia, love the seats they look comfy.
Lol, yer I really like the interior colour myself, its very different to the usual greay or balck that most cars of this era had. Seats are quite comfortable too, havent been on a long drive in them as yet though.

smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 12th Feb 2007 11:45am
So, whats the difference in the DTurbo and the XRDT then?

The 5 door car is going to be heavier than the 3 door, and this will also effect rigity slightly, so the 3door will handle better.

I belive there is about 2bhp between the 2? Where does the 2bhp come from, and how does that equate to 1.2secs difference in a 0-60 dash in a heavier car think
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 12th Feb 2007 11:50am
I dont know, there is, as you say, only 2BHP difference between the two engines, but its the book times.

Personally I rekon their all gonne be about the same, but according to book times, the XRDT and XLDT are the fastest varients of both the XUD and the DW10 (HDi) engines.

think
Posted By: StuyMac Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 12th Feb 2007 2:12pm
Ok, done a little mechy research for you here Matty smile

Both engines are exactly the same!! The latter cars had a cat with accounts for the +/- 2bhp.

As for the performace figures they made 2 different fuel pumps, a Lucas and a Bosch, the Bosch being the better one, though its hit and miss which one is fitted to which car so that could be a factor as well as the figures being gained from different test sources at the time the figures where collected. The mpg figures on sites like parkers also vary - again this shows different tests as they are the same engine.

The 3 door (DTurbo) will be quicker due to weight (So not much in it - certainly not 1.2secs), and the DTurbo has the more sporty trim and was more expensive when new and had more as std, like alloys, front fogs, stiffer suspension etc

The XRDT was a little more comfort inspired smile

Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 12th Feb 2007 2:54pm
I know all about the fuel pumps (one of the things I was looking at was the possibility of vegetable oil lmao, and Lucas pumps dont like it whereas Bosch pumps are fine with it).

Hehe, with regards to trim levels, i would look for an XTDT, but they are even more rare then a 5 door D-Turbo. I like comfort.

Ive been a member on the Pug306.net forums since before Xmas, get loads of useful info off there, its amazing how many common, but easily fixed faults there are with the 306 hehe!

smile
Posted By: MrPhil Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 12th Feb 2007 4:26pm
the lucas pumps like more derv in the mix than the bosch pumps don't they?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 12th Feb 2007 11:45pm
Well, although some people run the Lucas pumps with Vegie oil, its really not recommended. The Bosch pumps are fine however, of course its nice to have a good mixture for cold starting, but you could theoretically run 100% mix using a Bosch pump.

Afaik, the reason the Lucas pumps dont take very kindly to vegie oil is cos they use the diesel as a lubricant, and as vegie oil is much thicker then diesel, it doesnt work very well and casuses propblems, which leads to stress on the pump. Iirc, the Bosch pump doesnt use the diesel to lubricate, so therefore doesnt suffer from the same problems.

As I say though, 100% is fine if you are already running warm, but to start from cold a decent amount of diesel is required to start comfortably.

smile
Posted By: CustomIce Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 13th Feb 2007 9:34am
Looks like a tidy little runaround you got there Matty.

Let me know what you are looking for ICE wise and i'll see what we can do smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 13th Feb 2007 2:30pm
Thanks matey, will do, won't be doing much until I get the engine problems sorted out, but if I still have the car in a few months I will probably be looking at replacing the 6x9's and maybe gettin a sub and amp.

The way am looking at the ICE is at least it can be changed over to any new car I may get!

smile
Posted By: CustomIce Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 16th Feb 2007 9:41am
Originally Posted by MattyC
Thanks matey, will do, won't be doing much until I get the engine problems sorted out, but if I still have the car in a few months I will probably be looking at replacing the 6x9's and maybe gettin a sub and amp.

The way am looking at the ICE is at least it can be changed over to any new car I may get!

smile

No probs mate, you know where to get in touch with me wink

True, that is the beauty of ICE!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 20th Mar 2007 12:02am
Well I took the frog to Bristol today, ran like a dream, done about 460 miles in all, the engine clocked onto 160,000 the other week, I must be a serious contender for the highlest mileage car on CW, i currently have the highest reported petrol engine on the Pug306 forums hehe.

Bit of a bummer though, came out of me mums the other day and noticed a fairly big dent in the passenger side wing, pulled a fair amount of it out back into shape, gotta take the splash guard off to try and timmy mallet the main part of the dent out though, was going to do it today but its crap weather so will have to wait until the next warm day (hopefully it will come this year).

As the car's absolutely rotten from its trip to Bristol, I think ill take it through the car wash next decent day that comes along, so ill try and get some better photo's of it when I do.

Still done no mods though, on the lookout for alloys atm though.

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 20th Mar 2007 10:25am
460 miles wink

Your already getting your moneys worth out of it wink
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 20th Mar 2007 11:42am
I a sure am hehe smile
Posted By: spinking Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 21st Mar 2007 9:01am
Seen you the other day on the roundabout at the top of the ford by the knocky kwicksave beeped you like mad raftl

I was in Donna's 600bhp accent raftl

Oh maybe i should of just duckd down and not brought any attention to myself raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 21st Mar 2007 2:13pm
Lol I probably had me music on, the sound system's about the one good thing my car has going for it, and thats nout special either haha!

I think if you had bin in the 200 I would noticed you lol.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 26th Mar 2007 3:28pm
Washed the car the other day, so this afternoon I decided to take some photo's. Forgot me memory card so only took a few as the phone memory ran out.

Tried gettin the dent out, but it aint appenin. Not worth gettin the wing replaced given the age of the car. I think the dent looks absolutely awful, but other people say it isnt too bad. Either way am gutted lol!

Lookin at the photo's a think i should have put the rear Cruisewirral sticker lower down, but its done now and I don't think Mark has any reflective ones left. Lol.

Anyway, heres a few new photo's.

Attached picture 438-dent1.JPG
Attached picture 439-dent2.JPG
Attached picture 440-rear1.JPG
Attached picture 441-rear3.JPG
Posted By: StuyMac Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 26th Mar 2007 5:52pm
Looks better clean matey smile

Maybe worth keeping an eye out in the scrappys, theres a few 306s around - you might be able to get one in the right colour and bolt it on for £20 smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 26th Mar 2007 5:58pm
Yer a will do, problem with me is am far too lazy to go the scrappys every now and agen haha!

Yeah, the was did it the world of good, paintwork came out lovely, especially for a car of its age and mileage. I was impressed hehe!

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 12th Apr 2007 2:24am
A minor update, I re-lacquered the drivers front wing today, only a quickish job as its not worth spending too much time on it.

Basically, someone has spilt brake fluid on it in the past and probably wiped it over the paint work, so the laquer had started to peel off. Looked a bit crap as it was flaking off and the flaky bits were white. So i got rid of all the existing flakey bits and used some spray lacquer.

Looks far better now, its not perfect, but it will do, as I cba doing it properly as ive never done anything when it comes to paintwork before.

Noticed a slight rattle from me exhaust when starting it from cold this morning, only for half a minute or so and then its fine, so I am assuming the exhaust must be loose, maybe one of the clips has broke or summit, so im gonna get under there tomoz and have a look.

At least av done summit constructive with it now haha!

smile
Posted By: txt3rob Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 24th Apr 2007 11:03pm
i still aint been in the pimp mobile lad when u coming to see me init!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 24th Apr 2007 11:05pm
Lol I will see when am next out n about I might give ye a knock. Aint been using it much at all recently to be honest lmao!

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 29th Apr 2007 7:57pm
Noticed a fair bit of rattling from the exhaust yesterday, and checked it over today and it looks like me backbox is a gonner. So am gonna nip the garage this week sometime to see how much a new ones gonna cost to be fitted.

Gutted frown
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 29th Apr 2007 8:43pm
whats up with it? has it come loose or dropped down?

might just need a hanger replacing or a clamp tightening?

Or is it internal like from the cat?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 29th Apr 2007 8:49pm
Its come away from the pipe, its coroded from the looks of things. Its a bit rattly cos basically the backbox is sitting on the pipe now as theres no connect between them.

Now im not sure whether a hanger has gone as well, as it has dropped a bit, but im assuming this is because of the backbox. The middle box and the hanger on the backbox itself ar fine (albeit the hanger on the backbox is a bit rusty).

To be honest it dont look like its in too bad nick, just the connection between the pipe and backbox has corroded, which im led to believe is very common on the 306 (according to peeps on the Pug 306 forums), especially if a hanger goes (the reason im suspecting maybe a hanger has gone).

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 1st May 2007 10:24am
Took it the garage this morning, yeps its the back box, booked it in for tomorrow to get a new one fitted.

Needs a damn good service too, so I may give it one next week as the weather is very nice.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 2nd May 2007 5:39pm
Got the new backbox put on today... seems a fair bit bassier then the old even though it should just be standard. Lol.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 9th Jul 2007 7:05pm
Well, as it was a nice day, I been around the Wirral taking photographs (a hobby of mine hehe).

Anyway, took a couple of new ones of the car, though I better had as it "may" be going in the next few months, plus we may not get another nice day this year to take some lol!

Got a rattling at idle atm frown But its okay, its the shield around the cat is corroded on one side, so it needs welding. Will get it done one day, but for now I am going to put something metal in between the cat and the shield to tension it a bit, just enough to stop the rattle anyway.

Was worried it was me exhaust again at first, or even the cat itself lol.

smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 10th Jul 2007 5:30pm
you have some strange interest matty but why not put them to a good use and get some pics of filth and post them for us to see and then I will rate your topic top stars lol
Posted By: Sanchez Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 10th Jul 2007 5:44pm
that first pic would look really nice, but the car ruins it (not in a horrible way) i just think its a nice pic
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 10th Jul 2007 6:26pm
Lmao Rhys.

Dont worry Andy, I got photos like that without me car in the way hehe. Just thought id plonk the car there to make it look better then just a shed on its own haha!

grin
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 24th Nov 2007 12:59am
This car has gone now! Sold it last month! Will get an MMC up about me new ride when I finally taken it through the car wash, its rotten lol!

smile
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 24th Nov 2007 12:06pm
lol
Posted By: Mark Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 25th Nov 2007 12:36am
It severed you well
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MattyC: Peugeot 306 XR - 25th Nov 2007 2:18am
Aye, that it did, especially as originally I only intended to keep it for a couple of months, but it turned out I kept it for 8 lol.

Would have kept it for longer, but the mileage was too high for my liking and I wanted summit a bit bigger and better hehe.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral