Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Chester City Walls Walk - 27th Mar 2016 5:07pm
Completed this walk yesterday with Miss Mahjong and Plusone.

I have never done this walk before and absolutely loved it. I know that many of you have probably done this walk before but for those who have not, I recommend it. Sooo much History.

Maybe a re-visit? A Wiki walk for the warmer months, T.C?

Saveaway/ Bus-pass day?

Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 030 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 032 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 033 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 034 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 036 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 038 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 040 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 041 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 042 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 043 (Copy).JPG
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Chester City Walls Walk - 27th Mar 2016 5:16pm
More

Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 045 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 046 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 047 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 049 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 052 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 053 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 055 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 056 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 057 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 058 (Copy).JPG
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Chester City Walls Walk - 27th Mar 2016 5:24pm
Few more

Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 059 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 061 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 063 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 064 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 065 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 066 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 067 (Copy).JPG
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Chester City Walls Walk - 27th Mar 2016 5:32pm
Info:

Chester city walls consist of a defensive structure built to protect the city of Chester in Cheshire, England. Their construction was started by the Romans when they established the fortress of Deva Victrix between 70 and 80 AD. It originated with a rampart of earth and turf surmounted by a wooden palisade. From about 100 AD they were reconstructed using sandstone, but were not completed until over 100 years later. Following the Roman occupation nothing is known about the condition of the walls until Æthelflæd refounded Chester as a burgh in 907. The defences were improved, although the precise nature of the improvement is not known. After the Norman conquest, the walls were extended to the west and the south to form a complete circuit of the medieval city. The circuit was probably complete by the middle of the 12th century.

Maintenance of the structure of the walls was an ongoing concern. They were further fortified before the Civil War, and were damaged during the war. Following this they ceased to have a defensive purpose, and were developed for leisure and recreation. The walls are now a major tourist attraction, and form an almost complete circuit of the former medieval city, with a total walkway length of 2.95 kilometres (1.8 mi). Upkeep and repair of the walls continues to be a problem.

And.....last lot of pics.

Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 070 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 072 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 075 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 076 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 078 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture Easter Saturday 2016 079 (Copy).JPG
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Chester City Walls Walk - 27th Mar 2016 6:30pm
Good report , welldone john with the photos ..
YES, lets put are 'heads together' for local places to have WikiWalks again ..SAVEAWAY DAYS hell ya (Bus Passes for some ,me and our Derek lol)
Saveaway bounderies include Liverpool/St Helen/Southport/formby/
Ellesmere Port/ Ormskirk..Get 'GOOGLING ' for cheap /free places of interest .REPORT BACK SOON PEOPLE ...LOL
Posted By: MikeT Re: Chester City Walls Walk - 28th Mar 2016 8:42am
I'd be up for that too, maybe with a stop off for a nice refreshing pint on the way. But in the warmer weather please
Posted By: Mark Re: Chester City Walls Walk - 28th Mar 2016 9:16am
Did you follow the arrows in the pavement?
I didn't know about them until i was shown one time, and they guide you around chester, and the walls. Its a brilliant idea as your likeva child hunting lol

The cathedral with its free entrance banner is a con. You can get as far as the shop, but to enter the main cathedral its a minimum donation of £3, that can work out expensive.

Following the old city walls is great.
It is a great day out.

Thanks for sharing your pictures Rude
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Chester City Walls Walk - 28th Mar 2016 9:23am
Just a few ideas , National Wildlife Centre Liverpool /RedSquirrel Reserve formby /The Iron Men/and another is a Historic walk in Wavertree ,plenty of interesting 'photo'sights/ Lydiate and Haskayne again in liverpool , plenty of history ..
Any one willing to come up with any ideas , for wiki walks in the coming months .....

Since our 'Walk/ climb up the mountain, i have realised that i am very interested in joining a 'Walking Group' with Age Concern and maybe a Rambling Group .My legs wanted to do so much more than we did ..lol
Posted By: cools Re: Chester City Walls Walk - 28th Mar 2016 9:32am
Yeah great pics, enjoyed seeing them. Love Chester last time I went was some years ago and I jumped on the tour bus, really enjoyed it the commentary was really interesting.
Posted By: cools Re: Chester City Walls Walk - 28th Mar 2016 9:36am
I had to laugh at the ducks pic, we always say when it's raining hard weather for the ducks but even they seemed fed up,lol.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Chester City Walls Walk - 28th Mar 2016 2:18pm
Used to be my daily lunch walk when I worked there 27 years ago. Been going the same chippy in South View Road for 27 years and its still the same owners. I worked for a construction company and we won a job to take down and repair the walls in several places. We had to take the precise level and position of every stone and rebuild it in same position. City architects were always buzzing around in case we found anything in the rubble in fill between the walls. Nice city to work in except on race days. Great cheese shop as well Grommit
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Chester City Walls Walk - 28th Mar 2016 2:28pm
Yes ,mark we 'sussed' the arrows out ..Cools, john found it amusing the 'ducks' were up high on rthe top .
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chester City Walls Walk - 28th Mar 2016 6:07pm
Oh I loved the photos, thanks! Long time since I seen chester!!
Posted By: rocks Re: Chester City Walls Walk - 28th Mar 2016 7:15pm
fab pics plusbox x
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Chester City Walls Walk - 1st Apr 2016 7:40pm
Erddig near Wrexham is an interesting country walk with stream plus the added house and gardens . The park is Walkable from Wrexham Station
© Wirral-Wikiwirral