WikiWirral its great, register, enjoy and welcome.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
9 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 8,070 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#827457 25th Sep 2013 12:31am
venice Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
Sorry if Ive asked this before although I searched and couldnt find anything. I'm renovating my parents small bungalow in Neston ready to let unfurnished in a month or so. The first estate agent said rip out the large white painted floor to ceiling wardrobes in the bedrooms because they're dated externally, and not very pretty inside. Leave the rooms looking modern and empty ,inkeeping with the renovation . A second EA ,a woman, said no, people are desperate for storage .Renters value that over looks.I would have thought most renters taking unfurnished, would have their own bedroom suites , but perhaps Im wrong. The larger bedroom could also accommodate someones small wardrobe and dressing table if they had one, although the room would probably look a bit cluttered and unmatched. The bungalow on the other hand doesnt have any 'under the stairs' or 'utility room' or box room for putting ironing boar or vacs.
I cant wait and ask a prospective tennant because this decision has to be made now before the rewire and stuff.
I know 'bare canvas' will suit some, and extra storage others, but which choice do you think will appeal to the majority?
The EA'sdont agree either on curtains . One says leave the old colored ones up till the tennants can buy what they want, and the other says go and buy some off white new ones that will go with everything. What do you expect if you rent please, Id be grateful for some opinions?

Google Ads
Veteran
Veteran
I would personally leave the built in wardrobes. Is there a way you can paint them both inside and out to make them at least look a tad more pleasing? If you were to remove them, would you have to re-plaster the areas that may become damaged if you remove them, because that could be costly.

Also as long as the curtains aren't torn or ripped I would leave them where they are. The likelihood is that any incoming tenant will put their own up anyway, and just put yours in the loft.

As long as the place is clean and you're not asking too much in rent you should be fine. We rented out my father in laws house after he'd died and left the built in wardrobes, carpets & curtains, and trust me they were not up to date at all, but it rented in a flash smile

Just curious who is the estate agent you're using? We use Clive Watkin and they have been brilliant for the last 2 1/2 years

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Agree with everything Elizabeth says. Most definitely leave storage and curtains. If they wish to change curtains they can, when they are ready. Many people have fitted wardrobes and would not be taking them with them.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Venice

I have also been renovating my late parents house (3-bed semi) ready for rental - and maybe tomorrow I will approach Agents to get that rolling. The house has had new bathroom, new kitchen, full central heating, re-wire, new gutters etc and I have personally decorated every inch of the place over about 3 months.

One bedroom has fitted wardrobes with cupboards above - and they STAY. They stay because they look good and are SO useful. Also, the airing cupboard was taken out of the bathroom when that was re-fitted so I had a small radiator put in one wardrobe which has shelves and can now be used for airing.

All rooms have curtains (good ones) and there are spare sets in the new airing cupboard.

I decorated throughout with magnolia walls, white ceilings and white woodwork. New carpets in downstairs rooms are beige (they call it mink) and match well.

There is some furniture left in the house - a new single bed and a new 3-seater (leather look) and rocker-recliner armchair that was only 3 weeks old when mum died, so effectively new.

Things like fridge, freezer and microwave are left in the kitchen

Snod

5 Precepts of Buddhism seem appropriate. Refrain from taking life. Refrain from taking that which is not given. Refrain from misconduct. Refrain from lying. Refrain from intoxicants which lead to loss of mindfulness
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Absolutely leave built in wardrobes and the curtains.Renters will most likely have little or no furniture and will be glad of all the storage you can give them.As the others have said if you buy new curtains the new people will either like them or hate them same as the ones that are there now.

venice Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian

Last edited by Mark; 26th Sep 2013 8:39am. Reason: duplicate post
venice Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian

Last edited by Mark; 26th Sep 2013 8:38am.
venice Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
Thanks for your opinions. Really helpful to get non EA views.
The wardrobes look DIY made, with louvred doors and just a painted finish . Not terrible but lets say not finished well . All those slats will be a ***** to paint as well . The shelves inside are obviously homemade and a bit rough. I can paint it all up yes, and put white contact over the poor shelving paintwork ,but it still aint going to look sleek.
Elizabeth - havent picked an agent yet . The walls are being skimmed, so if I leave the wardrobe in , if Im wrong and have to remove it later, it probably will mean I have damaged wall and ceiling to get skimmed , and that will be expensive for such a small amount on its own. Developer thinks Im mad and spoiling the job by leaving them .
Salmon I wonder if people really dont have much furniture - I always imagined many would already have their own and begrudge having to put stuff in storage.
Snodvan - you say your wardrobes look good. That would make it a much easier decision for me.
Wish Id had the time and energy to do some decoration myself . This place has had much the same things done as yours , but the firm will also do the decoration which will be just the predictable magnolia painted walls in every room . Id like to have put neutral coloured paper in some rooms to give a bit of texture and character , but the EA,s Ive had round all say NO.
The lounge hasnt even got a fireplace since the horrible little stand alone wooden electric fire surround went . I thought of putting in a modern fireplace, one EA said yeah, another said no ,it dictates what walls people can use or not use to arrange their furniture and some folk have those L shape wrap around settees which take up 2 walls . Arrgh! Cant wait till the inside is done and dusted so I can concentrate on sorting out the garden, Ill enjoy that more.

Veteran
Veteran
If the cost to remove the wardrobes and have the walls skimmed isn't too bad while you're already getting it done, then maybe (now you've described them) it would be the best idea to take them down. I don't think the wardrobes or lack of, would put anyone off renting the house but, if as you say the rest of the house is updated, maybe they do look a little out of place now?

As to a fireplace, again I'd leave it without. As long as you have central heating it should be fine.

Also, one thing I've found with my rentals is, that the tenants may want to put their own things such as an electric fire in (at their expense and with your permission) and then you've not had to fork out to pay for one!

Good luck with everything and if it's your first time as a landlord, don't be put off by any horror stories that folk love to tell. Personally I have not had any problems with my tenants so far smile

venice Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
Thanks Elizabeth and to other repliers. Hope your project goes well too Snodvan. I guess all we need is to be good LL's and hope for reciprocating tennants.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Maybe a compromise. We had some built in shelves that had a sliding door across the front. We had the sliding door removed and replaced with nice new mirrored slders. Made the room much brighter and looked bigger. The existinmg shelves remain behind them out of site and full of junk.

Wise One
Wise One
To please the widest range of potential tennants, if the wardrobes don't look like a quality fixture, I would put sentiment aside and remove them... it is supposed to be a non-furnished, not part furnished. However, if they really look professional and removing them would damage the structure of the room, you may consider leaving them. If you're renting as non-furnished, then every stick of furniture you leave will be taking up the space of your new tenants and possibly cause resentment. I would replace the curtains for something inexpensive and neutral, leaving the tennant the option to replace them with their own fitting if they so wish, just ask them to give them back to you or maybe store them in the loft. Good luck.

venice Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
Thanks Shambo, appreciate the advice , and your idea too fish.

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am