Originally Posted by Digital Spy
Sky is planning to offer a radically enhanced electronic programme guide to new versions of its Sky+ digital video recorder.

Sky confirmed to DS that it is currently consulting broadcasters on the proposed changes, key details of which have emerged on our forums.

The new EPG, which will only be available on new Sky+ boxes, will replace the current 4 top-level options (TV Guide, Box Office, Services and Interactive) with 10 options (TV Guide, Planner, Anytime, Box Office, Interactive, Radio, Search, Parental Control, Options and Settings). A 1/8th size mini-TV display in the top right-hand corner of the screen will show video and carry audio from channels as they are selected in the TV Guide. The TV Guide itself will show more channels per page, up from the current 10 to 12 (with mini-TV) or 24 (if mini-TV is turned off). The search and scan banner will show more programme information including when a show started and will permit synopsis information from other shows to be displayed via the 'i' button. Other changes include a better search function covering 7 days of programme data and series links being selected by default when a programme is recorded.

The enhanced guide will be introduced "at some time during 2008" and will only be available on newer Sky+ boxes; it is not yet known whether this refers to any currently-available devices or a new generation of boxes.

Sounds much better then the existing software, but the thing with the existing software is it quite simply "works", is fast and efficient and is very pleasing on the eye, which is one big plus they have had over the cable Liberate shite all these years... I hope for their sake that they develop the new software correctly, but they have not been in any rush, so it should be fine.

I dont think ill get it as I only have a PVR2, but yer never know. Anyway, im due an upgrade at some point to a PVR3, although im considering getting a HD box next year anyway for the on-demand functions when they are released (thats provided I havent moved to Sky Picnic of course lol).

Mind you my "i" button no longer works anyway, dropped/crushed the remote too many times over the years!!

smile

Digital Spy Report