Hospital Dash For Train Robber Ronnie Biggs

Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs has been rushed to hospital with a suspected broken hip
[Linked Image]
Biggs was apparently found on his cell floor early Sunday, suffering from a hip injury and chest pains.

He was taken from Norwich Prison to hospital for medical treatment.

His son Michael has spoken to Sky News about today's events and the risks involved in surgery for his father.

"My father was taken this morning with a fractured hip so we are waiting for the main surgeon to come in and see if it is safe for him to undergo surgery," Michael Biggs said.

"What I imagine happened is that he probably fell off his bed."

"My father is in such frail condition."

Sky News crime correspondent Martin Brunt says the 79-year-old has been dogged by a number of medical conditions in recent years.

"Since he came back to Britain, he has suffered a number of strokes and heart attacks," Brunt said.

During a pneumonia attack last February Biggs was rushed to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.

"This coming Friday is the day he's due to be released on parole - that's not been confirmed - but at the moment his family are waiting for Jack Straw to sign off on Ronnie Biggs' parole," he said.

"The Parole Board has recommended he be released on that date," Brunt added.

Biggs' family believe the time served by the robber is far beyond what was fair.

"We are distressed - parts of me think they are trying to make an example out of my father," Michael Biggs told Sky.

Brazil-based Biggs returned to Britain in May 2001 to serve out his sentence after fleeing Wandsworth Prison in 1965.

He had served just 15 months of a 30-year sentence for his part in the infamous post office train raid that netted more than £2m.

"I don't think he has any regrets of coming back," Michael added.

"He has paid his debt to society and now should be let out."

According to Michael, his father has been virtually confined to a wheelchair in jail and insists he is no threat to the public.

"It is quite pathetic - I think the only crime my father could do is use his bus pass before 9am," Michael said.

Once officially released on parole, the plan is for Biggs to enter a nursing home in north London, Brunt revealed.

SKY NEWS