Wirral's star employers to be honoured

TEENAGERS will honour Wirral’s leading businesses at a glittering awards ceremony tomorrow night.

The second Wirral Star Employer Awards will pay tribute to companies who have helped young people across the borough prepare for the world of work.

Employers were nominated by Wirral teenagers in four categories, covering work experience, apprenticeships and work related learning.

More than 200 young people and local business owners are expected to attend the event at Thornton Hall Hotel to celebrate the success of the finalists and winners.

BBC North West Tonight presenter Gordon Burns will host the awards for the second year.

Last year he praised Wirral employers for helping young people get vital work experience or training opportunities.

"I remember exactly the break my first employer gave me and I know how important it is that young people across the Wirral are also able to access those opportunities," he said.

This year guests will be entertained by young performers from Wallasey School who recently won the Battle of the Schools’ competition run by Sky TV which will be broadcast later this year.

Performances by Birkenhead School students, a local singer and young stand up comedian are also planned.

The evening has been organised by Wirral's 14-19 partnership team.

Phil Davies, Wirral's cabinet member for children's services and lifelong learning, said: "The Star Awards are a way of thanking those fantastic employers who really make a difference in our community by supporting young people.

Unfortunately we can't make everyone a winner, but in my mind they all are.

Creating work positions for young people, taking them on as apprentices or trainees, or simply giving someone valuable work experience can mean so much. It really does change people’s lives."

THE GLOBE