Police hunt man after armed robbery at Chester bookmakers - CCTV IMAGE
[Linked Image]

POLICE have issued a CCTV image of a man they want to speak to after an armed robbery at a Chester bookmakers.
Detectives are searching for Gareth Siarl Williams following the robbery at the Corbett's Bookmakers on Faulkner Street, Hoole, Chester at 9pm on Monday.

A female member of staff was threatened by a man with a handgun who then stole cash from the safe.

Williams, 36, is believed to be living in the Chester or North Wales area.

He absconded from custody in December after threatening a female staff member with a knife at Mold Crown Court, while he was on remand awaiting trial for a robbery in Chester last November.

Police are also keen to speak to Williams in relation to a robbery in Frodsham on Tuesday, February 24.

Detective Chief Inspector Brian Roberts, who is leading the Cheshire Constabulary investigation, said: "This particular offender targets lone females.

"We have named who we're after, which is quite unusual because we're so concerned about him and future offences he may commit.

"He's a danger to the public and our concern is that his level of violence is increasing. We also want to speak to him about similar robberies in Helsby and Frodsham.

"I have pulled together a significant amount of senior detectives to look for him. He clearly knows our area and North Wales and has links with Merseyside.

"Over the next few days and weeks we will be building up a picture of where he is and how we can find him, sooner rather than later.

"The victim from Monday night is distraught. She's very upset at what has happened. Sufficient threats were made that would terrify anyone.

"I don't want another victim to go through what she went through.

"I would appeal to anyone who has any information about him (Williams) to come forward. Whether they saw him, or know where where his location is.

"I am also appealing to him to come forward. We will find him."

Anyone with information is urged to contact Cheshire Constabulary on 0845 458 0000. Information can also be left anonymously on the Crimestoppers hotline 0800 555 111.

chester standard