Originally Posted by icWirral
WALLASEY MP Angela Eagle will tonight meet the private equity firm which was behind the buy-out of Wirral’s biscuit factory months before it announced hundreds of jobs losses.

The MP has been working with unions and Wirral council to try to save some of the 821 jobs which Burton’s Foods has proposed axing at its Moreton factory.

The meeting also follows a decision by the Treasury Select Committee, of which Ms Eagle is a member, to call Duke Street Capital as part of their investigation into the role of private equity.

Angela Eagle said: "The chairman (John McFall, West Dunbartonshire MP) will be writing to them this afternoon. The committee decided to contact them at my suggestion.

"We are looking at the whole structure of private equity: transparency, how it treats its workers, the implications for public policy.

Watching the BBC Money Programme report about the AA the other night I have to say Private Equity is a terrible thing, and it need to be stamped out.

I really hope they can the jobs at Burtons, its one of the biggest private employers on Wirral, certainly the biggest in Moreton.

icWirral News Report