Giants creator Jean Luc Courcoult has paid a visit to Liverpool to check out new locations for a return of the spectacular.

And this time he has also been looking at key sites on the Wirral side of the Mersey.

The flamboyant artistic director of Nantes-based Royal de Luxe – the team behind the 2012 Sea Odyssey and 2014's Memories of 1914 – saw venues including Birkenhead Park, Port Sunlight and Hamilton Square before taking a trip on the Dazzle Ferry.

Giants are set to return in 2018

He met with Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson and Wirral Council leader Cllr Phil Davies to discuss plans for 2018.

Colin Lane Jean Luc Courcoult pictured with Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson and Leader of Wirral Council Cllr Phil Davies
Jean Luc Courcoult pictured with Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson and Leader of Wirral Council Cllr Phil Davies

Speaking on the waterfront, Jean Luc said: “I’ve been visiting a little bit of Liverpool and a little bit here in Wirral.

“We’re working on a show for 2018 about the commemoration of the end of the First World War .

“I’m very very happy to be here with the two mayors [sic] and to work together to see how we can put on this huge spectacle.

“It will be a new spectacle, a new story, and a lot more locations this time.”

Colin Lane Jean Luc Courcoult, Artistic Director of Royal De Luxe, with the Dazzle Ferry
Jean Luc Courcoult, Artistic Director of Royal De Luxe, with the Dazzle Ferry

And he added: “I love Liverpool!”

Plans for a return of the popular Giants were revealed by Mayor Anderson last month as part of an ambitious year of events in 2018 to mark 10 years since Capital of Culture, as well as a host of other key anniversaries.

The Mayor said: “It’s the first meeting we’ve had, although we’ve had phone conversations about him doing this.

“We’ve had discussions over the last few months about how we can work together again, but equally how we can work with Wirral.

Gareth Jones Grandma Giant in Liverpool in 2014
Grandma Giant in Liverpool in 2014

“We’re talking to the Department of Media, Culture and Sport (DCMS) around 14-18, and it was always something we wanted to do, end the commemorations of the First World War.

“It will be a story people can follow. There are some quirky things in Jean Luc’s mind.”

The 2018 events will mark 100 years since the Armistice, which took place in November 1918.

Liverpool Giants
Giants attract a million people Take our Giants quiz Your top Giants pictures ECHO Giants photo special Bride's Giants delight Relive the Giants weekend Flying with Giants 9 top Giants moments

Birkenhead-raised poet Wilfred Owen was killed a week before peace was declared, and there are plans to include some of his work in the new spectacle.

Cllr Davies added: “We’ve showed Jean Luc various venues here in Wirral, and he loves the spaces, particularly Birkenhead Park.

“I just know Wirral residents would come in their droves to see the Giants, on both sides of the river it would be fantastic.

“We’re particularly keen to link it to Wilfred Owen. His poetry is poignant and evocative. But we are also looking forward on an optimistic note to how nations can work more closely together.”