WikiWirral yrs online 24/7 365 days a year.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,360
Posts1,033,313
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (3 invisible), 9,897 guests, and 453 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:09am
Wirral waters
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:07am
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by hootmeil - 4th Apr 2024 1:15pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by granny
Also William Morris Roberts was also listed at the same address (i.e.Shrublands) on the following. Under Chester W.M.Roberts but I don't know what for.
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27980/page/9150/data.pdf

LAND TAX COMMISSIONERS' NAMES.
Schedule of names of persons referred to in an Act of the sixth year of His present Majesty, intituled "An Act to appoint additional Commissioners for executing the Acts granting a Land Tax and other Rates and Taxes, and to remove the qualification by estate required in the case of all such Commissioners, whether appointed under this or any previous Act."

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Google Ads
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Venice,

I think the stick belonged to William Morris Roberts, too many coincidences for it not to, its likely he was known as Morris and used his full name for official form filling, many did and do.

It looks highly likely it was presented to him by the Chester & North Wales Travellers, seems a nice fit doesn't it?

Connecting him or his family to Dinah Roberts and her family would as I previously mentioned be time consuming and perhaps expensive, because proof may only be obtained by the purchase of certificates.

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
1891 advert,

Attached Images
shrub1891.JPG (41.21 KB, 183 downloads)

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,

Bertieone.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by bert1
Hawthorne Dene/Dean/Deene is very likely to be 87 Hoole Rd, at least that was the address of William Morris Roberts, 1901 census.

Beginning to think these buildings were of an official capacity.

Someone else looking for Shrublands . If Hawthorn Dene is most likely to be 87, and W.M.Roberts is mentioned at both Hawthorn Dene and Shrublands..... here must be the answer from 1967 Kelly's directory.

quote "From my 1967 Kelly's Directory of Chester I find:

87/89 Hoole Road, Shrubslands, Private Home for the Aged

87/89 is between Hamilton St and Vicarage Road."

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CHESHIRE/2002-01/1012075289
---------------------------------------------------------------
What do you have now Venice ? I have been trying to work out where we have come to, after being all around the country.

For definite We have :

a) a walking stick dated 1896 to M.Roberts, Hawthorn Dene,Chester from Mold

b) W.M.Roberts (born 1848 )address Hawthorn Dene from 1892.Commercial Traveller.Address at Shrublands in 1911. In 1911 a director of a lead mine and a family connection. http://www.aditnow.co.uk/community/viewtopic.aspx?t=9321

c) Hawthorn Dene , Hoole, Chester and an auction in 1889, instructed by Rev. H.P. Ramsden.

d) 1896 still at Hawthorn Dene ,Hoole Road. also Date on the walking stick.

e) Rev. Henry Plumpton Ramsden diocesan inspector of schools for this diocese.1882

f) Lord Bishop of Chester (official capacity relating to Rev.Ramsden)

g) a number of commercial travellers @ address Shrublands between 1861 and 1891

h)Undeciphered Code on a bloody walking stick.

Is there anything missed off of any relevance atm. ?

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
venice Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
I know bert,but the mining forum guy appeared to already be researching his tree, so may well have already done it.( Dinah wouldnt have been significant to him at the time ) If its the same tree as Dinah, I could add what I know for him. I have a bit more family history (left to me, I didnt do it myself) on the side that it looks like the stick has come via, than on the side we originally thought it came via .Happy to buy the certificates needed if he doesnt come back or doesnt know, may as well find out having come this far.

Interesting prices. £75 a month eh, for what must have been a huge property if you look at the average 3/4 shillings ones.

DD your last post and granny's quote -- M Roberts occupation is named as 'gentleman' . Does that mean by 1906 he was pretty wealthy?.Does the cutting, mean hes being considered for a commissioners job of some sort ? Dont understand what this means either- quote - and to remove the qualification by estate required in the case of all such Commissioners, ?

I always associate the historical term 'Traveller' with the snake oil image, selling a bit of this and that, to scratch a living . Could he have gone from salesman to gentleman over a short period I wonder , or is the term gentleman here, not to be read into as ' non working moneyd ?

venice Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
only just read your last post granny after posting myself . Need to go out now , will respond later.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Chester and North Wales Commercial Travellers Association.

Seem to have involvement relating to many things , So DD might well be right when he mentioned workhouse/orphanage (?) . Plenty of info on web and obviously a body of business people who were in an important position. John Rylands was also a member at one time.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
venice Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
Hi granny - I too have this morning being investigating the NW commercial travellers association , which led me to the website of historic welsh newspaper articles youve probably seen as you mention the association seem to be into allsorts
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4590619/4590625/34/
(second 'no title' heading down) This sort of feels like links to the Masonic angle dont you think? I dug some more into that site and found the association also held walking competitions .I wonder if the stick was presented as a prize for that maybe .That would fit with berts idea.

Bit more digging that site led me to something irrelevant, but interesting(Although not as intriguing as another article there about the person who swallowed a walking stick !! GOOD LORD I think I might be getting more interested in social history!!!!

"QUEER WALKING STICKS. There are now in the market scores of walking sticks and riding whips which are made from monkeys' tails," said a. London dealer in canes and umbrellas; "these in the rough, mostly coming from Brazil and from certain parts of India, where the natives prepare them for the market. I have seen many a stick which has been made out. of the twisted ligaments from the legs of wild ani- mals, and I have one in the shop now. But then I know a stick-maker chemically prepares fix-fax,' which he buys from the butchers, and out of thie he makes beautiful little whips for cavalry officers. Then there is another kind of stick made from a peculiarly tough fungus, not unlike an ordinary mushroom in the rough etaie, which comee from Java. The stalk1 grows to an immense length, and when the whole thing is properly prepared it becomes even hard, and can be trimmed and turned as to the head. Paper sticks are coming most strongly into vogue, and very Leautiful sticks they axe, besides being absolutely unbreakable by any ordinary means. You see, they can be dyed to any colour, and they turn in a lathe like the finest ivory." -?-

venice Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
The
branches of the Commercial Travellers’ Christian Union arranged excursions, though their monthly
meetings centred on talks on religious themes an
d sermons plus teas in line with their temperance
principles

Hosgood argued that commercial travellers posse
ssed a well-established and resilient 'culture of
fraternity', which belied images of lower middle-class insecurity.
While ‘on the road’,
they stayed in
commercial hotels where their sense of solidarity wa
s expressed through rituals, resembling Masonic
practices,"

http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/4535/1/4535.pdf

There was another quote on the page somewhere I can find again, that said it wasnt known how much Masonics influenced the travellers assoc, but there was at least one travellers group within the Masons.

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Originally Posted by venice
I know bert,but the mining forum guy appeared to already be researching his tree, so may well have already done it.( Dinah wouldnt have been significant to him at the time ) If its the same tree as Dinah, I could add what I know for him. I have a bit more family history (left to me, I didnt do it myself) on the side that it looks like the stick has come via, than on the side we originally thought it came via .Happy to buy the certificates needed if he doesnt come back or doesnt know, may as well find out having come this far

Venice,

If you're going to do family research, you have to be wary of others trees and their findings, they may be wrong. Its best if you do your own research and start a tree from a point you think fit. Seek help by all means and there is plenty of help available. One of the major problems in family history is that far to many people accept that other peoples trees are correct without checking that information completely.

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,

Bertieone.
venice Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
The religious connection might explain the 2x2,s

venice Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
Ah, yes bert, point taken . Not sure Ill become a family history buff , but Ill bear what you say in mind thanks .

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
From what I can gather, William Irvine joined the Faith Mission in 1895. He was sent from Scotland to Southern Ireland to head the organization in 1896. By 1897 he was becoming disillusioned after reading Matthew 10. In 1898 he met Edward Cooney, who was a Christian Commercial Traveller . From that meeting and the bible classes based on the teachings of Matthew Ch.10, Cooney gave up his job and joined the unfolding movement of the 2 x 2 church that began to transpire at the turn of 20th c., taking with them members from the Faith Mission sect.
The 2 x 2's were going out to preach( that's why they were called 'Tramp Preachers'or Pilgrims) 2 at a time and those who joined were to give up their wealth and property, presumably to give to the poor.

The only thing I can now think is that M.Roberts was a member of the Faith Mission when it was founded (or near enough)and at a later date moved to the 2 x 2 church, which was a Christian sect. and would presumably somehow have connections with the Anglican Church.

The fact that William Irvine from Scotland had a sister in Wales intrigues me a little from your family history point of view ,Venice. Her married surname was Cleland . The other sister was also Cleland as they married brothers.

Last edited by granny; 7th Jan 2016 7:12pm.

~Chief Seattle
venice Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
Having read more about the 2x2's No tobacco was one of their 'no no' s so on reflection , it would be an anomily to have a pipe walking stick with 2x2's all over it , so I think there must be another explanation for the markings.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
You won't believe this ! Last night I was talking to a friend whom I have know for 10yrs or more. I asked if he knew anything about the Faith Mission.

Ha! His reply...."I am still a Faith Mission pilgrim "

To cut a long story short, he joined the Faith Mission in 1960's as a young man. He had to go to their Edinburgh College to study for 2/3 yrs including hard graft like on hands and knees scrubbing floors etc . (Sounds like a penance similar to monks )Had to give up his job, not allowed to work or have an income .He travelled around the country in pairs,(men ) staying at all sorts of odd places sometimes hostels, sometimes caravans, etc. all provided by the Mission.
He met his wife who was also in the Mission but they ended up travelling in different places. Once they were married they carried on the same way. They had no home and had an income of £35 a quarter (joint) to live off .
Eventually they decided they wanted a family and had to come back to base and find employment and a home, but he is still classed as a pilgrim.

May I say, a more compassionate , gentle and caring person to everyone, you could never meet.

Maybe the 1871/1881/1891/ 1901 Census' could give a place for W.M.Roberts. "BERT " hi

I think you should take the stick to the museum . They will have better access for searching the origins of such things. Value is not of importance it's the history that has the value, which could be great or small.

~Chief Seattle
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 8:57pm
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,118 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,115 Spotted!