WikiWirral yrs online 24/7 365 days a year.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
7 members (3 invisible), 8,856 guests, and 432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
casper 3
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
It is not targeting smokers, it might be targeting smokers that litter.

I can't see why you are trying to campaign to have our streets freely littered with fag ends???

I assume the council will have a word with the company to broaden their surveillance to other littering but there is nothing wrong with doing things one step at a time. I'm sure that more fag ends are dropped that other bits of litter.

In the past we have had campaigns against:-
Dog mess (no doubt someone claimed they were picking on dog owners)
Drinking in public (no doubt someone claimed they were picking on drinkers)
Speeding (no doubt someone claimed they were picking on drivers)
Drugs (no doubt someone complained they were picking on smack-heads)
etc

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Google Ads
Old Hand
Old Hand
People are like animals nowadays pukin,drinking,fags everywhere ,smoke in the streets when you want a coffee or to eat ,its a disgusting habit, big fat consumers shovelling in junk sugar&fat with drunken dozy eyes at 2am before avin a fight.....modern uk is horrible esp in citys at the weekend in the early hours...my personal hate is chuckin lit fags out car windows

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Eloquently put, totally agree thumbsup

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
My grump is that there just isn't enough warning about the ciggy ends.

A Speeding fine is not far off the cost of dropping a ciggy butt.
But there are signs up with Speeding enforcement vans so you have fair warning, and it shows that its not just a revenue stream if you continue to speed.

Imo the council not playing fair.
Not providing fair warning. For an £80 fine there should be advance warning in the area.

If the Enforcement Officers get over to New Brighton they will kill the tourism. Its the way there going about it that just stinks for me.

Many smokers for years have seen the £1,000 fines on lampposts and never been challenged under "Littering" so to all of a sudden to enforce it with out highlighting the BIG change in attitude towards ciggy butts. There first month was £80,0000 + For Ciggy offences. If this was there target then the campaign as you rightly say should be labeled correctly. Its is littering but it never used to be enforced.

Wirral Council have lost so much money over car parking revenue this is there next money making scheme. As i pointed out in a previous post only on the fine page to pay your fine is the ciggy butts mentioned and no where else that i can find.

Yes in this day and age ciggy butts are littering.
Yes they have always been littering.
But never enforced !!

At least educate with fair warning. I'm only a voice thinking of people like my mum who are old and have done this for years, and to have a £80 fine for something that they have done for more years than they can remember and £80 fine could put them into so much financial problems when your only income is a state pension.

I've educated her from the stories we have put together, and suggested she gets one of those personal ashtray things for her handbag.

I just think if the council was on the peoples side they would educate before fine.
Smokes must be in the minority now and this is how they can get away with it.

Forum Veteran
Online Content
Forum Veteran
I roll my own cigs (nearly as thick as normal cigs)and I usually only smoke half a cig and pocket the other half to later break up to make new cigs when short of tobacco.
Will they next target the cig ash as litter?

Last edited by derekdwc; 30th Aug 2015 9:44am.
Old Hand
Old Hand
The ciggy smokers are the easy meat to catch. Outside any railway station, bus stops, outside pubs, very easy for these so called Enforcement Officers. Who they should be prosecuting are the totally selfish, lazy and irresponsible so called dog owners who let their dogs defecate all over our pavements, footpaths and parks.They are the ones that should be fined and heavily too, they are spreading disease, dirt and smells and its always somewhere else other than near or by their house. Selfish b...a..s

Last edited by Santos; 30th Aug 2015 5:05pm.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
@mark we've even had at least two TV campaigns in the past about fag ends, and as you say the warning signs have been tried on lampposts litter bins and wall posters - yet they were ignored them - now they are being acted upon.

Everybody is aware it is an offence, though I guess not everybody would know its a criminal offence - but ignorance of the law is no defence.

So people are aware, warnings were given in at least two media formats and numerous different poster/sign campaigns - now the boot has been stuck in.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Ive not seen them before,

I don't smoke, so may be i've been a bit blind.

My Own Opinion is thus,
The money brought in is + 90% from Smokers Fines.
So why is it not called a Anti Cigarette Butt Campaign.
There biggest revenue has not been made more aware of, in there advertising at all. Yes its litter, but it never used to be targeted. . . .

The papers have now made it front page and many more are aware, but that first month is just outrageous. If the council were fair to its residents they would in my opinion warn for the first month and educate that next month you will get a £80 fine.

We can split hairs all day, but in my opinion this is not a fair scheme because the smokers are paying the price and they not targeting the fly tipping at all. I would guess most fly tipping happens in the night or the dark, I wonder what time these enforcement officers clear there shifts. So any fly tipper will not bat an eyelid.

Yes we can say the council is bringing in money which then leaves more money in the pot for other services. But remember the council can invest the money in new carpets and luxury items for there offices (Coffee Machines).

Seems no one is accountable for there huge waste of money.

Yes the message is out there now.
I doubt this will be the end of this practice hitting the headlines.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
There was exactly the same outcry in various London boroughs two years ago, the local government ministers take on the protesters was.

Those who harm the environment by shamelessly littering and fly-tipping should be brought to book

Wirral have successfully caught and prosecuted a number of rural fly-tippers but needless to say it is a lot harder and costly to catch them, the council would have to cut money from other services to afford to achieve a higher prosecution rate.

After years of costing ratepayers money to clean up after smokers and some smokers breaking the law, the specific offenders themselves are now paying for it - can't get any fairer than that.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Jail term for flytipper after successful action by Wirral Council

So they caught one. But nothing back in the kitty that i can see.
So catching a fly tipper is jail time. But does not offset the cost of the clean up.

If he has paid a fine then maybe the council should have included that in there page.

Source : Click Me

Beginner
Beginner
I think we should consider the health hazard of those people who SPIT. Its awful, even worse if its coloured green.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Spitting is classed as littering. Health and safety wise it is less risk than coughing or sneezing which puts a large cloud of particles in the air.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Lady on radio merseyside today. At the lifeboat day hoylake.hubby left a paper cup by side of bench where they had been sitting.3 burly kingdom goons confronted them asking for his name and address which he refused and they threatened to phone police which they didnt do but they later followed the wife with her kids up the street and photographed her car and ran at the car to get video footage.she was quite scared as she didnt know who they were.crafty wirral council contacted the radio show asking for her to contact them but she declined before she had spoken to her husband.wonder if they just targetted the event because they know people would be having fast food and bins likely to be full

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I would be asking for ID and a contact number. Before i give my details out.
And would take the time to put my phone on video record, because i can.

The more i think about it, these patrols seem absolutely random where they show up (But we know there chasing the money) so whos to say they cant be impersonated and taking money under false pretences.

I can only see this damaging the council, you begin to feel you cant do anything called fun or enjoy some fun with out a £80 fine hidden in the bushes.

Easy to understand why in 3's because the would be flattened on there own in my opinion.

Forum Veteran
Online Content
Forum Veteran
Yesterday coming out of St Caths hospital to the bus stop in Derby rd a woman there told me an elderly gent had just been fined £80 for dropping his ciggie in the gutter (he wasn't smoking in the bus shelter).
She said there appeared to be nobody else around at the time when 2 men suddenly appeared out of nowhere to fine him.
They had been sitting in a car near to the bus stop and they were still there when I got on the bus.
So beware smokers of these sneaks.
Is the aim to stop litter or to make easy money for the council and the firm doing it?
If it's for the money what next - aim dedicated cctv cameras at likely litter/cigs dropping spots with a standby teams to nab the culprits

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am