Have found my father's bible which was given as a school prize, which would have been the year he left St.Marys's
The insert reads
Wallasey Education Committee
St. Mary's School
Conduct, Regularity, Punctuality and Progress
Educational Year Ended 31 July 1912
Signed by the Head Teacher A J Hogg
It might be of interest to someone who could be tracing
Mr. A J Hogg.
The following is extract from History
of Wallasey. http://www.historyofwallasey.co.uk/wallasey/Elementary_Education_in_Liscard/index.html
In 1885, an extract from the log-book of St. John’s states ‘The premises are, as usual, most discreditable to a comparatively wealthy district’. In July 1894, the school was transferred to the church of St. Mary, Liscard. By the turn of the century, St. Mary’s had an enviable reputation in the sporting field. Perhaps its proximity to Central Park had something to do with the fact that its team excelled at cricket and football.
The school administrators set great store by reading, writing and arithmetic. Pupils were extremely diligent and discipline was strict. The pupils at the school in the early 1900’s belonged to a Wallasey that was still a collection of villages, Seacombe, Liscard, Poulton and so on, which were linked by noisy tramcars. The streets were gas-lit, some of the ferry boats were still paddle-driven and beer was a penny a pint in the 60 local ‘Locals’.
In July 1928, thirty four years to the month after its transfer from St. John’s, St. Mary’s closed and the children of the area moved to the new school at Egerton Grove. The last headmaster at St. Mary’s was Ernest Webster. He remained living in the Liscard area until he died in 1969. In November 1928, at the Law Association room in Liverpool, St. Mary’s Boy’s School, Liscard Road was sold by auction for a sum of £1,830. So ended many years of use for the building as a school, but even today, the building still stands opposite the Ambulance Station in Liscard Road and is being used as a Wirral Metropolitan College