Welcome to WikiWirral, sharing is what we do best.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,361
Posts1,033,315
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
5 members (2 invisible), 9,739 guests, and 388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:09am
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
casper 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Nice group of pics Billy : Second one along showing the frontage of Central Station with building to the right.

Chris, it's the same building as shown in Herdman's painting above, which turns out to be the Lyceum. No.I Bold Street,Liverpool 1. Looking on your map the façade can be seen facing Waterloo Place. so it must be the side view of the Lyceum.

[Linked Image]

http://liverpoolwalks.co.uk/003/lyceumv.htm

Last edited by granny; 14th Jan 2015 10:44am.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Google Ads
P
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
P
Interesting to compare the above photo with one from billy's posts.

http://s153.photobucket.com/user/ol...stolivcntaluner.jpg.html?sort=4&o=45

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Ah, now I understand, Granny. Of course, that's the Lyceum in Herdman's painting (Greek, the grove where Aristotle taught; isn't a classical education wonderful? Also, the root of the French word for school: lycée). So, when the station was built, the Waterloo hotel and probably most of the buildings as far as Fairclough St. were demolished.
https://goo.gl/maps/BO1YB

Carpe diem.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by j_demo
Central??????

Looks a LOT more like lime street to me.

i presumed the old central station was the building called "grand central" (some still call it quiggins)

haven't got time to read the article at the moment as i'm about to head off on out but it looks very interesting. as does pacef8's urbex link which hopefully will include a lot of pics of it.

will check both out later

Grand Central Hall was originally opened in 1905 as the Central Hall of the Liverpool Wesleyan Mission,former mission andWesleyan chapel dating from 1790.
Peter Quiggins. On the Quiggns team was Peter Quiggins a former BNP and National Front Member.
No connection to Central Station, J-Demmo.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by chriskay
Ah, now I understand, Granny. Of course, that's the Lyceum in Herdman's painting (Greek, the grove where Aristotle taught; isn't a classical education wonderful? Also, the root of the French word for school: lycée). So, when the station was built, the Waterloo hotel and probably most of the buildings as far as Fairclough St. were demolished.
https://goo.gl/maps/BO1YB

That map has confused me. Can't imagine what is actually surrounding the entrance to the station. It looks somewhat bare at the front but in fact I can't remember it being that way. Even last year. Must study it more. Thanks Chris

~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Must be going loopy. Yes, now understand it to be the shops etc. within and around the station entrance, including the 'walk through' areas. Sorry for being silly blush

Last edited by granny; 15th Jan 2015 8:01pm.

~Chief Seattle
Newbeee
Newbeee
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Strong disinfectant was watered on the platform several times a day. It smelled of very strong phenols. Quite a pleasant smell, but no doubt lethal by today's standards and long since banned! Water Street subway always smelled of it too. Funny, the useless info. that surfaces.

the same ones used to clean hospitals? Before MRSA showed up

Veteran
Veteran
Re the disinfectant smell.

Up until a few years ago, if you stood looking into the window of a particular jewlers shop on the north side of Lord Street, you would get a 'whif' of that smell every so often, just like at a railway station.

I used to think that they used the same stuff to clean their frontage, being right by a food shop (Sayers?), just incase it had been used as a convinience during the night.

However, I noticed an unusual cast iron grating in the pavement between the flags and the front wall of the shop. It had to be over a shaft of some description, going down to the railway tunnel beneath Lord St. Every couple of minutes, a train would go throught and push some of the air out from beneath - smell and all.

I suppose if it was raining, then there would have been some extra drips in the tunnel.

By the way, it's not visable anymore and that branch of Sayers has moved. The grid dissapeared when the pavement was relaid to match the others in the area after Liverpool One opened.

P
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
P
Interesting info Norton - Thanks. If it was a shaft down to the tunnel directly below, I wonder if it was a vent shaft for the steam and smoke (pre-1903 electrification of the MR). I would guess it's roughly equidistant twixt Central and James Street. I further wonder if there originally was a fan house there, like the one in Hamilton Street (midway point between HS & BC) until the 1970's ? I've not seen any mention of one at that location but........

The pong of phenols put down at JS and LC platforms and passageways could certainly of been pushed along by the trains to where you describe. The plot thickens.

A pre-1903 large scale map of Lord Street may be the answer ?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Unfortunately my maps of Liverpool pre-date the MR.
Was the jewellers Boodle & Dunthorne?

Carpe diem.
Veteran
Veteran
The vent I remember was far too small to have been of use to ventilate the steam trains in the tunnel. It was only about 4 to 6 feet long and no more than about 8 inches wide - a bit like those with glass in for basement lights or the ones that take rainwater to the gutter. I think there were four slots in it, each about 1.5 inches wide, and each one just under half the width and half the length of the frame each, as the frame was also about 1.5 inches with a central and a longditudinal rib. (A squashed cross in a rectangle shape.)

As this was at the 'top end' of Lord St, then it was only about a quarter of the way to Central, so there may have been more of different size and shapes near to Whitechapel and M&S.

We can guage the size and frequency of the smoke vents used at the time by looking at the Northern Line from above. This uses the tunnel created to extend the line from Brunswick dock to Central Station (surface level). As a rough guide, the shafts are about the size of a small house or shop, and are less than 200 yards apart.

Part of the deal for this extension to terminate at Central Station was to allow the tracks of the new line from Brunswick Dock (and Hunts Cross etc.) to be aligned directly above the end of the exsisting Mersey Railway line. The idea was that at some future date, a cutting could be created to connect the two lines at the same level, giving a direct line from the Mersey Railway out to Manchester, eventually.

The tracks were eventually aligned, not in the 1880's, but in the 1970's, to produce the Northern Line. The origial Mersey Railway platform at Central Low Level, built as a terminus for the cross-river trains, is now the platform for the Northern Line trains, while the Wirral Line platforms are beneath them at deep level. The official openning of the Merseyrail Loop and Link lines was on 28th October 1978, and was performed by HM The Queen.

Now, back to venting the tunnel between Central and Brunswick stations. If you look on Google towards the top of Bold St you will find Back Berry St (parallel with Berry St) and on it, between Wood St and Seel St, is a strang rectangular shape, almost the size of a house and surrounded by some old stables. This is the first vent, a mere 115 yards up from the openning at the back of Central.

The tunnel continues under Berry St and Great George St without any obvious vents until it reaches Parliment St and St James Place, where it emerges in a cutting on the south side of the junction before dissapearing underground again, on its way to Grafton St. In between, there are three other vents of different sizes.

Given the eratic spacings of the vents we can still see, and the fact that none have really been needed since 1903, then it's my guess that quite a few have been covered over. Lord St and Church St have changed enourmously in that time, and Great George St has been redeveloped as well, since ths last steam trains ran along that tunnel, so anything could have happened.

So now, all we need is just a bit of ventilation for when the diesel maintenance trains go underground.

Addict
Addict
The section of tunnel between Central High level & St James & onward was used by regular steam trains until 1966

Bob.

Veteran
Veteran
I think the jewelers I was thinking of was the 'Half Price Jewelers' next to Sayers. Both shops have now gone to new owners. I look but can't afford to shop at Boodles as it has too many £000's.! Thanks for giving the last year of steam along that tunnel, Bob. It all helps.

As the topic is about lost railway stations, then I should have mentioned that the vent or opening at Parliament Street and St. James Street was actually built for St. James station, but it closed a long time ago. Some consideration has been given to opening it up to serve the Baltic Triangle, but it entails a lot of work.

So, what did Bradshaw say about the line from Chester to Birkenhead when he wrote his guide in 1863? The text is attached below. Some have long gone and some have been renamed.

Attached Images
Bradshaws Bhead 1863.png (89.99 KB, 92 downloads)
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Originally Posted by Norton
I think the jewelers I was thinking of was the 'Half Price Jewelers' next to Sayers. Both shops have now gone to new owners. I look but can't afford to shop at Boodles as it has too many £000's.! Thanks for giving the last year of steam along that tunnel, Bob. It all helps.

As the topic is about lost railway stations, then I should have mentioned that the vent or opening at Parliament Street and St. James Street was actually built for St. James station, but it closed a long time ago. Some consideration has been given to opening it up to serve the Baltic Triangle, but it entails a lot of work.

So, what did Bradshaw say about the line from Chester to Birkenhead when he wrote his guide in 1863? The text is attached below. Some have long gone and some have been renamed.

Boodles still have a shop in Chester, which I view sometimes; I agree about the 000's
I see that Bradshaw mis-named Storeton as Stamton.
I also note that when he wrote, there was a station at Rock Lane (1846-1862) before Rock Ferry opened in 1891.

p.s. I see that anyone relying on Bradshaw's 1863 guide to use Rock Lane station would have been disappointed, since it closed in 1862.

Carpe diem.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,166 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,209 Spotted!