WikiWirral yrs online 24/7 365 days a year.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
9 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 8,070 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TheGeek Offline OP
Beginner
OP Offline
Beginner
Hello all.

My first post after finding this forum yesterday, looks like I'll be spending quite a lot of time around here! coffee I'm a professional Geek so where else to turn for advice but cyberspace smile

Anyway...

Please educate me as to areas. Scurrilous opinions most welcome crazy as I need to know where to look at & where to avoid - but please remember not to offend your neighbours!

MrsTheGeek has had a good day this week - and been offered a job she really, really, really wanted at St Catherine's Hospital in Birkenhead.

Commuting will be fine for a while (we're currently in Crosby) but the plan is to move over to The Wirral next year before our daughter gets too entrenched in school (currently in reception so I'm not too worried about moving her at this stage, don't want to do it again though)

For various boring reasons we'll be renting out our current place & renting wherever we live on the Wirral.

BUT... For all the times that we've visited New Brighton, Lever Art Gallery and hundreds of tea shops, we don't really know the Wirral very well in terms of good/bad/indifferent areas.

So - could I ask for your honest feedback on any areas that occur to you - good or bad!

FWIW, we want to be about 20-30 mins commute from the hospital. I can work from home or a small office so that's no problem - so long as I have broadband I'm good to go. Looking for a 2-3 bed with a bit of character & not in a heavily built up or scumsville area. About £600pcm.

So your opinions please!

Google Ads
Wiki Guardian
Wiki Guardian
Hello The. Geek. Having lived in Wallasey all my life I can say there are good parts and bad,I recently moved to New Brighton and love it there. There are many quiet roads if it's peace and quiet you are after . Good luck in your search and welcome to Wiki. Dilly

Hi,
I would definitely look at Neston if I were you, its a great area with a great community spirit, a good example being the Christmas lantern parade that is happening on Friday 5th dec. There is a weekly market on a Friday and the farmers market has just restarted on the first Saturday of the month. We have an Aldi and a Sainsbury's as well as some smaller local shops and if you are into cycling or walking we have the Wirral way on our doorstep. We also have a sports centre and a youth and community centre and a great high school which has currently put in for planning permission to be totally rebuilt. We have had a few problems with the buses lately due to tory cuts to the subsidies but there is still a regular 487 service that goes right past st.catherines for your wife and there are some lovely old sandstone cottages around for a home with a bit of character. I've attached a link to our local internet news site for some more information
http://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/Cheshire/Neston/CH64

TheGeek Offline OP
Beginner
OP Offline
Beginner
Thanks guys - really appreciate the info.

Forum Master
Forum Master
I don't think you can go wrong anywhere on the West side, Neston, Parkgate, Heswall, Frankby, Gresby, Pensby, right up to Hoylake.

New Brighton can first appear as being busy and brash, but take a turn down a little side street and there's a great quiet community of small rows of terraces.

There was a lovely child's hand drawn poster in the window of one terraced house which said they were selling cakes and their toys to help raise funds for the dogs home in Manchester that burnt down. It brought tears to my eyes then and does now recollecting it.

Further inland, Oxton is pretty good, there's lots to rent in the area - big converted Victorian houses, nice village atmosphere and close to the park.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
I agree about the West side. On the East, I'd consider Port Sunlight.

Carpe diem.
Old Hand
Old Hand
I think a more accurate way to do this is to type the name of a town into somewhere like facebook, and see how many groups and pages there are for that area and read them, you will get a more accurate feel by what you read from the people ie if there is a crime problem, or not, because people from areas say the wealtheir ones will poo poo less wealthier ones with no substance other than snobbery and people from poorer ones will poo poo wealtheir ones again with no real substance other than a chip on their shoulders.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by chriskay
I agree about the West side. On the East, I'd consider Port Sunlight.

Definitely Port Sunlight if you can find anything in your price range, especially if you're after character, but also with lovely open spaces, countryside on your doorstep and excellent road/rail/bus links as well, and only 5 minutes from St Cath's. In the same sort of area, Bebington, Bromborough and Eastham are all nice. And if you're happy going a little further, you could even venture into Cheshire (Hooton, Childer Thornton, Little and Great Sutton) - I'm in Great Sutton and it takes me around 20 mins to drive to St Cath's each day. HOWEVER - you might find you need to increase your price range to get what you're looking for in any of the "nicer" areas

And congratulations to MrsTheGeek on getting her dream job!

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Irby, Heswall, Pensby, Thingwall, areas. Everywhere is so easily accessible

Right by Irby primary school on Glenwood Drive. Was always a good little school. Thingwall Primary also has a good reputation. There are plenty of modern houses as well as older properties in that area too, so you could maybe find your permanent home in the Irby area.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-49094186.html[spoiler][/spoiler]

Last edited by granny; 3rd Dec 2014 3:52pm.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Newbeee
Newbeee
We retired here to Moreton (Millhouse Lane area ) 7 years ago and absolutely love it. Quiet neighbourhood and really good neighbours, we can walk or bike down the lanes to Meols and the promenade, yet easily access New Brighton, Birkenhead and Liverpool via excellent train service. Gt Meols school is rated excellent and both Grandchildren have been v happy there. Wouldn't think of living anywhere else. Quite a few houses too rent around here too and traffic not too bad if you avoid Moreton Cross. Plenty of supermarkets near including Aldi & Lidl. You wouldn't go wrong here.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
I live in rock ferry and think its great don't get me wrong it has its down sides but you can find some really nice houses and there are lots of lovely people.my dad lives in Hampden road right opposite the hospital and the houses are great .

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Might be easier if you suggested a few places you were looking at and we could comment--also on schools.

This one is in walking distance to St Caths. Looks really nice inside but bear in mind edge of town and sandwiched between 2 busy roads and high density housing. Parking may be tight and no mention of a garden.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-33018984.html

The one granny has highlighted (seems best on rightmove for location/money)is in a good area and backs onto countryside and may have a small gate at bottom of garden over a small stream to a footpath .It should have broadband very soon as they were installing it in the pavement only a week ago. Can second the school as friend teaches there and I have done school crossing patrol for it when they had one and the kids seemed happy.

I agree with Granny, Arrowe Park just on your doorstep, easy access to the motorway. Asda Sainsburys Tescos and loads of local shops close by. Take your pick for beaches and North Wales only 30ish mins away.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
A decisive factor is to consider whether you wear Birkenstock sandals with socks? laugh seeyu

Welcome to Wiki.

TheGeek Offline OP
Beginner
OP Offline
Beginner
Originally Posted by fish5133
Might be easier if you suggested a few places you were looking at and we could comment--also on schools.

Oh I'm sure I'll be back with more detailed questions as we start to narrow things down - the great thing (but also a PITA) is that we've got a pretty blank sheet of paper at this point so just wanted to open it up & see what comments came back.

The advice on this thread has been fantastic (don't stop now though, all info gratefully received!), gives us some clues on where to look & start consolidating our thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am