Our Success is in our members who value our strength as a valued community.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
11 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,969 guests, and 428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hi.

We have a two year old male cat we need to find a good home.

My five month old son has recently been diagnosed with major lung problems and my partner is of the opinion that our animals may be contributing to his condition (dog, cat, and a parrot) so for the sake of possible improvement it seems the cat and parrot will be going, the dog is 14 and I've had her since she was 12weeks so shes going nowhere. Discussions about parting me from my parrot are on-going and I will be very picky and specific about who she goes too IF she goes, but if your genuinely interested message me.

Anyway about the cat, his name is Jasper, we've had him since he was 12 weeks (so the seller said but he was tiny I would suggest maybe about 8 weeks)
He's just had his flea treatment wotsit, he has been "done" at Broadway Vets, Wallasey. He's a happy cheeky chap, He has always been a house cat so has no experience outdoors and he hasn't been "chipped", he did once sneak out and try his hand at being a local alley cat, we found him the next morning cowering under our car with three big meanies circling around keeping him there, once we chased them away he came in for cuddles, so maybe he's realised he's not as big & hard as what he pretends to be to the dog. He's brilliant with kids, our five yr old picks him up and carrys him room to room and never gets scratched, he's fine with dogs, he winds the parrot up when shes in the cage, but true to form runs away when shes out.

So there you go, a nice little snap-shot of Jaspers life so far, if you think he's the cat for you and you want to offer him a caring and loving home for the rest of his life get in touch.
I dont know how to put pictures up on here but if you message me I can email or whatsapp some.
He'll come with his bowl, litter tray, bag of litter and bag of food.

Dodgy Bob

Google Ads
Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Very sad for you Bob, not a nice position to be in. Was trying to think of alternatives . I was wondering if its not a sure fire thing that the pets are contributing to your son's condition, perhaps it would be possible to find someone to'foster ' your parrot and cat for a period to see if it makes a difference? Someone knowledgeable of course especially in the parrots case. --- Or could something be arranged for one of you to take your son to stay with friends/family/caravan etc for a week to see if he improves --before you have to make a big decision ? Do hope you get it all sorted out .

Wiki Addict
Wiki Addict
Aw so sad.he sounds really nice.I hope you find a nice home for him.
But i do agree with Venice.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Dodgy_Bob

the dog is 14 and I've had her since she was 12weeks so shes going nowhere.
Dodgy Bob
Hi Dodgy-Bob.I do not wish to cause offence but in my view you seem to be selective about which animals 'go'. To be blunt, are the cat and parrot less loved than the dog? That is how it seems frown

What if it is the dog aggrevating your sons condition?- if indeed, any animal? However, I wish you and your family all of the best though.

Old Hand
Old Hand
I agree with Rudebox, the poor cat always gets the blame and is quickly 'disposed' of . The cause sounds more like the parrot if the child has a lung problem. My friend kept racing pigeons and developed a bad lung problem too, caused by inhaling the minute scales being shed from the birds' feathers.
He recovered when he rehomed them. Were the allergy tests done or was it just guesswork?

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
I take your point Rudebox and muzzy , in fact it was a point that struck me too initially, but then when I thought about it , firstly, cats are much more likely to cause allergies than dogs, and then of course a 5yr old beautiful natured neutered cat is likely to find a nice home, as is a parrot . On the other hand , a 14yr old dog, is not first choice rescue pet for most people , likely to get medical problems, will probably be a bit on the smelly side sometimes, may need letting out at unsociable hours for a wee, will have accidents, and wont be a rescue pet you could dare to give your heart to as she will die soon which wont suit most families.

I can quite understand Bobs stance as to why its not the dog to go. Hes had the dog from a pup for 14 years !!!! FOURTEEN YEARS!!
At that age she will probably sleep most of the time , and unlike the youngish cat, could be restricted to a room Bobs son doesnt frequent and be given attention in there and walked from there by the rest of the family.. Not a perfect solution I know, but thats what Id be doing before Id consider parting with a beloved dog that age. Mind I have to say I wouldnt be parting with anything without tests and experiments to see exactly waht the problem is first.

Surely though if its being questioned whether Bob has ulterior motives, what could they be? You part with 'easy' to home pets and keep the most difficult one . Its not like hes just offered to 'get rid' of the lot without even thinking about it. He wants homes with a reference from God by the sound of it , and is keeping the hardest most difficult animal (which would suffer the most from rehoming)

P
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
P
Allergies and birds/animals are not as straight forward as a lot of folk think. Both myself and my younger son have asthma and are allergic to "certain" animals. We had a family cat from a small kitten. Before collecting kitten, I had a good rub of his fur and he licked my face and arms etc. NO reaction. When mummy cat appeared, within minutes I had the running eyes, wheezing etc. So what was THAT all about?

Poppy my cockatoo is out on my shoulder every day and we do mutual preening. I "crack" any quills she can't reach on her head/neck and she gently goes through my hair - maybe looking for wildlife ?? shocked As with Nemo the cat - no reactions at all with me or my son, but others get an itchy reaction.

As previously suggested, separation for a week or so would be preferable to saying cheerio to them permanently.

Just my 2d's worth.

Last edited by Pinzgauer; 10th Oct 2014 11:23am. Reason: pour spellink
OP Offline
Oki koki
Bit of a debate erupted.
So then firstly, my sons condition is not allergy based. The tube that enters one lung is mis-shaped and has caused "complications" and as such he has lost a portion of lung and as yet may still stand to lose the whole lung.
The decision for ANY of the animals to go hasn't been mine, but after my partners frantic googling over the past few months (which I don't agree with doctors are doctors for a reason! And Google is meerly a scaremongerer) she is of the opinion that it "may" help. The cat being hers it's obviously been her decision but I being a animal lover am not prepared to let the little bugger just go anywhere! I am, reserve the right to be, and bloody well will be picky. The parrot, well that's a whole different thing, she's mine, but my partner hates her, I don't and don't want her to go but I can see the issue of how birds 'dust' can aggravate certain conditions and well her minds made up and the arguments aren't worth it and given that we have two kids, I work full time and the parrot only gets to come out with me once my partner is in bed, then if someone is better placed to give her a better home then I can swallow that cause it would be in her best interests but she could live to 50 and she's only 4 so she needs a home not a stop-gap cause that's not fair and not what I want for her, if I had my way I would bring my partner round, raise the kids to not be scared of her and love her, then when I'm gone my children will be best placed to keep her for the rest of her years. The dog, favoured? Well yes, I've had her 14 years, the cat and parrot only 2years, so there's yours answers doesn't mean I care any less but the dog is special beyond words so let's not go there, but I'm a animal lover through and through and anyone who takes any animal like stated above may well need a reference from God himself.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Hope things go well for you and your family Bob.Sounds like you have a lot on your plate.

Forum Master
Forum Master

Last edited by Mark; 13th Oct 2014 6:42pm.
Old Hand
Old Hand
If the child is NOT allergic to animals as you say, then why are you getting rid of them? Has your doctor referred you to a pulmonologist?

Addict
Addict
May I just say that I'm allergic to my pets and birds I find with my birds if you spray them daily you get less feather dust same with parrots, I have 5 cats and hoover every day that keeps the allergy at bay just a little advice, I hope you find them good homes and I would ask for a small donation as well and a home check as there are a few people who do wrong, good luck

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am