On Upper Rowson Street stands one of the oldest pubs in Wallasey, the Little Brighton Inn. The building was probably built about 1845 and has changed very little over the years. Originally the inn was called 'Chequers' but was renamed by Birkenhead Brewery, who owned the Pub
, to Little Brighton after the stretch of ground surrounding the inn which was known as the Little Brighton Common. The first landlord was Henry Evans who left by 1853 and was replaced by John Evans. He came from West Kirby and remained as licensee until 1865 when records show that William Jones became the new landlord. William remained at the inn until 1880 when Robert Voas took over. He was raised in Folly Lane, Wallasey Village. One reputed visitor to the Little Brighton Inn, which gave the Pub
the familiar nickname of 'The Ginnie', was Johanna Maria Lind (1820-1887), known affectionately as Jennie Lind. Whilst visiting Liverpool for a stage performance she is said to have crossed the river and stayed at the inn, where her name, or rather a corrupted version of her name, has endured ever since. Unfortunately, the claim that Jenny Lind was a guest at the inn lacks the authority of any form of historical evidence. It could well be the case that the choice of name for the inn was inspired by the great wave of popularity that swept through England in the late 1840's for the singer. The early 1870's marked the appearance of the Sandridge Hotel, built just across the road from the Little Brighton Inn, in Upper Rowson Street.
Taken from http://www.historyofwallasey.co.uk/