Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,364
Posts1,033,327
Members14,584
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
7 members (2 invisible), 12,962 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Bunny, Stacey2007, PrimordialPoet, Rinchen, AGC12
14,584 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
lincle 4
casper 4
Topic Replies
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:49pm
Hi to everyone
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:39pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 2:58pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 2:36pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Forum Master
Forum Master
ive told my daughters, that im going to top myself when the time comes, im not having anyone wipe my arse.

Originally Posted by Dilly
What's everyone's thoughts on assisted suicide ? I for one would like to think I had the option.

cos i'm that kinda guy...
Google Ads
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
I started thinking seriously about this several years ago. I won't go into a nursing home; I have the necessary substance waiting in the fridge which will give me a rapid and, most importantly, a peaceful death. I belong to an organisation: http://www.exitinternational.net/ which many people have found helpful. I pay £50 every two years to have access to the on-line handbook and the discussion forum, which gave me the information on the various methods of self deliverance.

Carpe diem.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Are we living too long? No
Do we want to live that long? No

As i've grown older and witnessed care homes and how so many are there to exist almost on autopilot i can understand the many views on not wanting to go into a care home. I'm not saying care homes are bad or wrong, but its like being given the final ticket, the last innings. Prolonging the inevitable.

It takes a loving family with lots of time on there hands to give any one in a care home a reason to live, or a reason to exist.

We are living longer its just the body isn't designed to last that long. I know of a good few older people whom say there a young mind in a old frame. And this frame is nackard.

The right to check out when enough is enough. I most certainly hope so.

Reading these posting I am glad that I am not in a care home or disabled. There is an undercurrent here that the life of an old person is of no value.Many very infirm old people are happy to carry on living they enjoy seeing their grandchildren, watching television and days out.It is fine to say that people have a choice whether to take their own life but the comments here would make an elderly person feel very guilty by daring to carry on living when many on this forum believe that they should be disposed off.
A civilised society recogonises the value of all.

Wiki Guardian
Wiki Guardian
Originally Posted by justice
Reading these posting I am glad that I am not in a care home or disabled. There is an undercurrent here that the life of an old person is of no value.Many very infirm old people are happy to carry on living they enjoy seeing their grandchildren, watching television and days out.It is fine to say that people have a choice whether to take their own life but the comments here would make an elderly person feel very guilty by daring to carry on living when many on this forum believe that they should be disposed off.
A civilised society recogonises the value of all.

I have seen no post suggesting old people should be disposed of, merely a choice for ones self.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I agree with you dilly, everyone must have a choice, a good quality of life is what i want.

Wiki Addict
Wiki Addict
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
I'm personally going to carry on smoking, drinking and eating all the wrong foods in the hope I leave this world before things get too bad for me smile

Which could cause a stroke and leave you in a very bad way, maybe un-able to move or talk for the next 20 years.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I totally agree with assisted suicide. I do hope the day arrives during my lifetime when we are allowed to choose if we live or die. As someone else mentioned here, it's fine and dandy if you can live til a ripe old age providing the body isn't knackered.

I'm sure there's a lot of people who believe that life is sacrosanct no matter the quality, but I know a lot of elderly people who simply exist. They are not particularly happy with the way things are in their life, and they're waiting for the day they don't wake up. Again, not everybody feels that way and I'm not judging anyone.

I just wonder why nowadays we're constantly bombarded and told to eat 5 fruits a day, exercise and keep fit, don't smoke, don't drink, don't eat salt or sugar blah blah blah the list goes on and on IF at the end of it we end up in a nursing home? AND, on top of that, any savings we've been able to accumulate through our long and healthy lives will be syphoned away to pay for the home frown

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
I'm personally going to carry on smoking, drinking and eating all the wrong foods in the hope I leave this world before things get too bad for me smile

Which could cause a stroke and leave you in a very bad way, maybe un-able to move or talk for the next 20 years.

Before I reach that point I would have hopefully have prepared a plan for my demise

Wiki Addict
Wiki Addict
I was talking to a Lady and she said she would walk out to Hilbre Island when its her turn. But what if she is un-able to walk?. She`s gone back to the drawing board for plan b.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Re Chris Kays post on joining this.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=309407
This site shows a single bottle of Cyanide ! SCARY . From what Ive read, its not a nice way to die , nor quick. Is this the last part of several 'drugs' after you're sedated? I wonder why they chose to just show Cyanide? Doesnt instantly make you think they are empathic with potential clients lol.

Last edited by venice; 14th Jan 2014 9:43pm.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Originally Posted by venice
Re Chris Kays post on joining this.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=309407
This site shows a single bottle of Cyanide ! SCARY . From what Ive read, its not a nice way to die , nor quick. Is this the last part of several 'drugs' after you're sedated? I wonder why they chose to just show Cyanide? Doesnt instantly make you think they are empathic with potential clients lol.

You have linked to a different site. The Exit site I linked to does not "just show cyanide". The bottle is shown because there has been recently a renewed interest in it as a possible method of suicide. Misquoting on a subject as important as this is not appreciated.
The salts of cyanide do give a rapid death because the cyanide radical binds with the mitochondria in all the cells of the body and prevents oxygen exchange and leads rapidly to heart failure; time is on the order of a couple of minutes. Only two grams is needed, which is about enough to cover a penny. The problem with cyanide is that it is not always peaceful, which is one of the criteria which Exit attempts to assess. The criteria are:
Availability
Preparation
Undetectability
Speed
Safety (to others)
Storage
Cyanide is, in fact, not near the top of the list of available methods.
The favourite method is drinking a solution of 10-15 grams of pentobarbital sodium, previously marketed as Nembutal, which is a barbiturate and was popular sleeping medicine up until the development of benzodiazepines in the 1960's. It was very easy to take a fatal dose of a barbiturate; Marilyn Monroe was a victim. No presently available sleeping pill can provide a reliable death.
Pentobarbital sodium is still available for veterinary use in euthanasia,. It is also used at the Dignitas clinic in Switzerland where you can go if you are diagnosed with a fatal illness and drink it under medical supervision. Unlike Belgium, Switzerland does not allow active euthanasia but will provide facilities to allow you to take your own life. Unfortunately, it's expensive; about £8000.
Pentobarbital sodium is also used for lethal injection in those U.S. states where it is permitted. Also, a couple of states are allowing physician assisted suicide, under extremely stringent rules. They us the same product.
Pentobarbital sodium is unpleasant to drink as it is very bitter. People usually wash it down with some form of alcohol, which in fact potentiates its effect. The result is a falling asleep within 3-15 minutes and death a short time after. There are many videos of people at Dignitas taking it.
Nembutal is considered by Exit to be the "Gold Standard". It is available as the veterinary liquid from Mexico or as a powder from China. It costs about $400 for a reliably lethal quantity.
There's quite a lot of information available free on the Exit site I linked to, but you won't have access to the handbook or the forum without signing up.

Carpe diem.
Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Dont forget your life insurance policies, if you have one, wont pay up on suicide/assisted suicide. I watched my mum die a slow lingering death with parkinsons disease in a home over a few years when my dad could no longer care for her himself. So when my dad was getting a bit doddery i packed my job in to look after him--best decision ever made. Time came when through stroke and a broken vertebra i felt he would be bettered looked after in a home ---mercifully he passed after only a few months in there.

"yea though i walk through the shadow of the valley of death, thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff they comfort me"

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Making that final decision, must be the hardest choice in the world. We will always have a sense of hope, even if it's about the next day being slightly better than the last.
People who consider that suicide is the best for them at a certain point in their lives (apart from those who are severely depressed for example) must be very strong in mind, because whatever ones beliefs, it's your last choice, with no return.
Doubt very much that I would be brave enough, therefore don't even consider it.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Thought provoking yet disturbing Topic this is.... think

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
News : New Topics
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
Car paint jobs
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,580 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,870 Spotted!