WikiWirral its great, register, enjoy and welcome.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
9 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 8,070 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
gizzin Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I had the unfortunate opportunity to speak to "street scene" A Lady called Marie who told me she didn't have to give me her surname.... OK, fine, I gave her mine as I didn't have anything to hide or my address or my home telephone number.

My enquiry was involving me putting out two grey bins for collection full of garden waste. They rejected my request to get rid of the said items. It was weeds and overgrown small branches from a small back yard.... covered in concrete and I put down industrial strength weed killer to hopefully make sure they don't come back again.... Their reason for rejection was that I haven't signed up to the garden waste.

The notice plastered on my bins read: "Your brown bin has not been emptied today (Its grey, I don't have a brown bin and they know it as they stuck the sticker on a grey bin) as you are not subscribed to the garden waste collection service.... This is an extra chargeable service of £35 per year.... No pay, no waste removal in other words.

Considering that I live in a flat on Park Road East and I was getting rid of weeds that were climbing so high they were affecting my neighbours, I

Google Ads
gizzin Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I can't edit and somehow it posted half way through my typing.... I don't seem to be able to delete the original.

I had the unfortunate opportunity to speak to "street scene" A Lady called Marie who told me she didn't have to give me her surname.... OK, fine, I gave her mine as I didn't have anything to hide or my address or my home telephone number.

My enquiry was involving me putting out two grey bins for collection full of garden waste. They rejected my request to get rid of the said items. It was weeds and overgrown small branches from a small back yard.... covered in concrete and I put down industrial strength weed killer to hopefully make sure they don't come back again.... Their reason for rejection was that I haven't signed up to the garden waste.

The notice plastered on my bins read: "Your brown bin has not been emptied today (Its grey, I don't have a brown bin and they know it as they stuck the sticker on a grey bin) as you are not subscribed to the garden waste collection service.... This is an extra chargeable service of £35 per year.... No pay, no waste removal in other words.

Considering that I live in a flat on Park Road East and I was getting rid of weeds that were climbing so high they were affecting my neighbours, I decided to take some action as my landlord wasn't interested and I like my neighbours.... They are your lovely, typical, down to earth Birkenheaders with no airs or graces.... Just nice people.

This was to be a one off removal of garden waste but according to the council I have to pay extra.... Funny thing is that as I pointed out to "Marie" in the council, being in a flat, there are no legal restrictions on what I put in any bin.... I don't have to recycle by law, yet Marie seems to think that the council can make up the law as it goes along which it can't do according to the law itself.

I was threatened several times that she would cut me off for being "abusive" as she put it and pointed out that the call was being recorded to which I responded that I was glad because she will have proof of my abuse when there really was none. I talked in a calm and frank manner.

What I did gain from her was that apparently I can put a "reasonable" amount of garden waste in my green bin as long as its covered by household waste, so when I pressed her that I could off-load the weeds in my grey bins into the three green bins, she said "I didn't say that." She did really, she just couldn't admit it.... She eventually cut me off because she was on a losing argument and all this coming from a council that see's fit to spend £850K on a fire escape for the town hall.... We need to wake up, we need more common sense and less political correctness.... This Country is crying out for sensible people.

There's my rant over.... I wish you all well for the run up to Christmas and I hope your wishes are met.... Stay safe.

Wise One
Wise One
Simples, put it in the green bin and as for covering it with household waste, nonsense! It has already been admitted by Councillors that you are entitled to do this and nothing is said about small amounts or covering it up.

Park Road East? Dump it over the road in the park!

gizzin Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hehehe Helles. I'd rather go along to the town hall late one night and dump it on their steps.... They would have to clear it up then. I suppose I was making the point that you don't have to pay £35 a year extra for collection of garden waste as you are entitled to use your green bin.... but they didn't say that, nudge,nudge.wink,wink.... but they did.

Smartchild
Smartchild
Or take it to Bidston recycling place.

gizzin Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Candlyfloss

Yeah, I could do that but some people don't have transport and some people can't afford another £35 to give to a council that squanders nearly a million quid on a staircase.... They could have built a new town hall for that.

The whole bureaucratic nature of our council needs questioning.

Newbeee
Newbeee
Can I put garden waste in the green wheelie bin?

We encourage residents to recycle their garden waste were possible. This can be achieved through the collection service or if you choose not to subscribe you may consider home composting and waste can also be taken to any of the household recycling centres in Wirral.

As a last option, some garden waste can be placed in the green general waste bin. However, the Council’s existing rules on presenting bins for collection will still apply. The Council will review its decision not to ban small quantities of garden waste from the residual waste collection on a regular basis to ensure the waste collection system does not become abused as a result of too much garden waste entering the system. However, a ban may become necessary in the future if waste related problems arise.

Bins must be presented on collection day with the bin lid closed, and no side waste should be presented; additional bagged waste will not be collected.

Should residents not follow these rules their bin will not be emptied.

If you choose to add garden waste to the green general waste bin, it is important that you still have room for your general waste.

The collection crews will also continue to monitor grey recycling bins for contamination (the wrong items placed in the recycling bin). Contaminated bins will not be emptied and the Council will initiate enforcement action on any household that presents grey bins containing any amount of garden waste.
taken from WBC information on garden waste

Smartchild
Smartchild
Originally Posted by gizzin

Yeah, I could do that but some people don't have transport and some people can't afford another £35 to give to a council that squanders nearly a million quid on a staircase.... They could have built a new town hall for that.

The whole bureaucratic nature of our council needs questioning.
They not getting £35 off me ither I pay my full council tax as it is.If you notice not alot of brown bins are being put out for collection.So this 35.00 fee will fail.

gizzin Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
They not getting £35 off me ither I pay my full council tax as it is.If you notice not alot of brown bins are being put out for collection.So this 35.00 fee will fail.

I hope you're right and it does fail.... The simple fact is you can put garden waste in your green wheelie bin. It would be really funny if everyone in Birkenhead was to fill their bins with such and they refused to take them all.... The bin men actually inspect the contents of your bin.... Its a licence for jobsworths not to do what they are paid for.

They are contracted to the council and not government employee's and even they know that all rubbish is mixed up in the end, "green" is a farce. Our council pay to container up all the mixed rubbish and send it off to India anyway. That is a fact.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Should we have a brown-bin-out-for-collection spotting thread to see which locations thought it a good idea?

gizzin Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Moonstar
Should we have a brown-bin-out-for-collection spotting thread to see which locations thought it a good idea?

Sure.... It would be interesting to see how many people fell for the lie.

Smartchild
Smartchild
Originally Posted by gizzin

I hope you're right and it does fail.... The simple fact is you can put garden waste in your green wheelie bin. It would be really funny if everyone in Birkenhead was to fill their bins with such and they refused to take them all.... The bin men actually inspect the contents of your bin.... Its a licence for jobsworths not to do what they are paid for.

They are contracted to the council and not government employee's and even they know that all rubbish is mixed up in the end, "green" is a farce. Our council pay to container up all the mixed rubbish and send it off to India anyway. That is a fact.
No its true,It was in the paper not so long ago that hardly any brown bins were being put out for collections.Some households are saying they dont need them anymore due to this £35.00 charge.

Last edited by Candlyfloss; 3rd Dec 2013 10:42pm.
gizzin Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I take your word for it Candyfloss.... I wonder what other bright idea the council will come up with to squeeze some more money out of us. Their golden pension pots need filling every month and the chief executive is on more money than the prime minister.

You couldn't make the stuff up about our corrupt council and their practices.

Veteran
Veteran
Maybe I'm the only one here who actually pays for the brown bin (please don't hate me! smile ) I don't like to give the council anymore money than they already squander, however I really do need mine as I have a lot of garden waste in the summer and soooo many leaves during autumn. I wouldn't know where to put it all if I didn't have my brown bin.

The hassle of getting all of my garden waste to the tip, plus the cost of petrol to me is far more expensive than paying the equivalent of 67p a week.

gizzin Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
Maybe I'm the only one here who actually pays for the brown bin (please don't hate me! smile ) I don't like to give the council anymore money than they already squander, however I really do need mine as I have a lot of garden waste in the summer and soooo many leaves during autumn. I wouldn't know where to put it all if I didn't have my brown bin.

The hassle of getting all of my garden waste to the tip, plus the cost of petrol to me is far more expensive than paying the equivalent of 67p a week.

Now, when you break it down to a weekly amount of 67p it doesn't sound a lot but its extra money you never had to shell out before all this green nonsense took hold. Its up to you if you're happy to pay extra but you shouldn't have to. At one time the council would take a settee or fridge/freezer away for nothing but now you have to pay.... Our council is one of the most greedy and wasteful.... vote anything but lib/lab/con.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am