Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
7 members (3 invisible), 8,781 guests, and 429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Newbeee
OP Offline
Newbeee
Hi,

Wasn't sure where to post this, so sorry if someone has to move it!!

I'm very interested in what's happening with 2 great houses in the Wallasey/New Brighton area!

The first is Redcliffe, one of the villas in Wellington road, looking out over the New Brighton sea front. Ever since I first really noticed it, about 4 years ago, absolutely nothing has been done with it! It had been converted into flats, but has been abandoned and is starting to fall apart. There's been a skip on the drive the entire time, but no-one there!! It could be a fantastic place to live if someone actually did something with it!!

The second is Gibson House Memorial Home. Originally built by Andrew Gibson as a Memorial Home for Widows of Seamen, it comprised of purpose built flats, and is situated on Maddock Road in Seacombe, overlooking the Mersey. Again nothing's been done with it for years! Unfortunately it isn't Grade II Listed, like the above house, so I have a feeling it will fall into the 'wrong hands' and be lost!! I know there's lots of Asbestos warning signs all around it, so I imagine its gonna be an expensive thing to undertake!

It's when I see houses like these that I wish I was a Millionaire!! Just so I could buy them off the owners and look after them!!

So does anyone have any info about what's being done with them?

Check out my Instagram with pictures of my walks around the Wirral & the history attached to it!
https://instagram.com/walkswithmydogwirral?r=nametag
Google Ads
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
i have no idea, but would love to know as well

Newbeee
OP Offline
Newbeee
Looking on the Wirral Gov website, the only planning applications for Redcliffe were made back in 2004!! And that was when they built the building to the left of it!

And Gibson House has had permission for 34 flats in 2011!!

Last edited by CateJones; 16th Jul 2013 7:38pm.

Check out my Instagram with pictures of my walks around the Wirral & the history attached to it!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
I suspect they are both suffering from planning blight and economic recession.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
redcliffe is still occupied--flats underneath,

Newbeee
OP Offline
Newbeee
Yeah there's a separate driveway for them that goes to the bottom floor. I'm not sure wether they are the people that own the whole place? Or maybe they're not happy with the work that was happening?

Although, according to some websites, the guy who converted them to begin with lived in the ground floor flats, so maybe it's still him there?

I just think that if you can't afford to touch something in 4 years, you should sell it to someone who can!!

Last edited by CateJones; 17th Jul 2013 8:58am.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by CateJones
Hi,

Wasn't sure where to post this, so sorry if someone has to move it!!

I'm very interested in what's happening with 2 great houses in the Wallasey/New Brighton area!

The first is Redcliffe, one of the villas in Wellington road, looking out over the New Brighton sea front. Ever since I first really noticed it, about 4 years ago, absolutely nothing has been done with it! It had been converted into flats, but has been abandoned and is starting to fall apart. There's been a skip on the drive the entire time, but no-one there!! It could be a fantastic place to live if someone actually did something with it!!

The second is Gibson House Memorial Home. Originally built by Andrew Gibson as a Memorial Home for Widows of Seamen, it comprised of purpose built flats, and is situated on Maddock Road in Seacombe, overlooking the Mersey. Again nothing's been done with it for years! Unfortunately it isn't Grade II Listed, like the above house, so I have a feeling it will fall into the 'wrong hands' and be lost!! I know there's lots of Asbestos warning signs all around it, so I imagine its gonna be an expensive thing to undertake!

It's when I see houses like these that I wish I was a Millionaire!! Just so I could buy them off the owners and look after them!!

So does anyone have any info about what's being done with them?

Redcliffe in Wellington Road was ground to a halt after the owner was ordered to put in the original window frames after replacing them i believe.
The owner has ran out of money.
The place is in a right state, he does not live in the bottom flats, those people are angry due to the way the place has been left.
Do not attempt to urban explore this place as you will be punished, steer clear, don't say i didn't warn you! (That warning is not for you Cate).

I believe the Gibson gardens are still being maintained, it is a wonderful looking building, one wonders how such a place could be left to rot like that.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Putin khuilo
Newbeee
OP Offline
Newbeee
Ahhh I see. My boyfriend used to live opposite Redcliffe, and I used to walk past it every day thinking what a state it's been left in!! But surely it's costing the owner to have it sat there doing nothing??

And likewise with Gibson House! Although if the gardens are being looked after, then maybe they're just having trouble finding someone to remove the asbestos?

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I think most of the time the asbestos warnings are to deter people from entering the property, the police used to use gibson house as a training ground, if there was a danger of asbestos poisoning i highly doubt they would of used it for training purposes.

yes i believe rates have to be paid on empty property.

The problem with Redcliffe is it is in a conservation area as far as i am aware and with it's graded listing the building cannot be altered.

It really is a nice building and has a great history but will take a lot of money to restore, the guy who owns it has stripped the plaster off the walls as far as i'm aware, i cannot imagine the state the building is in now having laid open to the elements for so long.

I see work has started on the old hotel victoria site now too, another great building which should of stayed.

Also the old Warren point mansions on Warren drive should never of been flattened.

such a shame to see all the great buildings disappear to make room for more apartments, i wonder if the owners of Gibson house have left it in that state so they can demolish it?

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Putin khuilo
Newbeee
OP Offline
Newbeee
Yeah Redcliffe is in a conservation area, and is grade II listed, so I imagine would be difficult/expensive to restore, and possibly the owner made some expensive mistakes he has to put right?

It's horrible seeing these old buildings go to ruin!! Especially as the ones built in their place often have no character, or look like space-age buildings in a sea of history!!

I imagine the owner of Gibson House would prefer to knock it down and start again, and I doubt he'd have any objections to planning permission for this, as its not a listed building!! I just hope it doesn't happen!!

Oh if I were a millionaire!! Haha!!

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am