Our Success is in our members who value our strength as a valued community.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,361
Posts1,033,315
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
5 members (1 invisible), 10,152 guests, and 411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:09am
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
casper 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
LeeP88 #780210 25th Mar 2013 3:09pm
Old Hand
Old Hand
No, & I strongly disagree with "£1.3 million over the last 10 years" of Council Tax money being spent on it.

Last edited by OxtonHill; 25th Mar 2013 3:12pm.
Google Ads
LeeP88 #780211 25th Mar 2013 3:10pm
Old Hand
Old Hand
Originally Posted by LeeP88
Do you support a football club?

No. Professional association football is an idiotic proletarian spectacle played by overpaid oafs in polyester clothes covered in writing.

The rememberance of the fallen of WW1 is more important than some men kicking a bit of leather around a field. Sod the lot of them.

dave_h #780212 25th Mar 2013 3:18pm
Forum Master
Forum Master
Its not about a football club Lee,its about disrespect to the memory of our fallen soldiers, those memorials were paid for by the people of Birkenhead out of there own pockets and now the council and tranmere are making loads of cash from the sale.Its a shonky deal and as was said before its the anniversary of the start of ww1 and all they think about is money.

dave_h #780213 25th Mar 2013 3:30pm
Beginner
Beginner
The tree's will be replanted and there will be a PROPER memorial incorporated in the new housing plans.

The point raised about the council sponsorship, every Tranmere fan was proud to have Wirral on the front of the shirt.

The council imo got more out of it than Tranmere did.

dave_h #780214 25th Mar 2013 3:33pm
Newbeee
Newbeee
Ok lets get this right. Ingleborough Road was given to Tranmere Rovers in exchange for its old training ground in Valley Road, a site bigger and therefore probably more valuble than Ingleborough. It was not sold for 20k or given as a gift. As for getting up a petition to stop the developement it`s already been done by a publicity seeking, failed folk singer named Dean Johnson (the owner of the Wilfred Owen museum in Argyle Street, an establishment that very few had even heard of before Deano jumped on this particular campaign, and the pubisher of the website so beloved by some posters to this site who seem to consider it the last word on the subject and quote it as if it were the Bible, whereas it is mainly the made up ramblings of a man who went so low as to publish a picture of French wargraves "photoshopped" onto a picture of Ingleborough) who`s love of Wilfred Owen is matched only by his love of seeing his own name in print and his hatred of TRFC, a hatred it seems is shared by several people on this forum especially philmch. His "Hopefully the buggers will go out of business. The eyesore that is Prenton Park can be levelled and houses built upon it too." is typical of the sort of comment I have come to expect from some of the Plastic Scouse lowlifes that inhabit parts of this region. Just why these people have these feeling about a club which has proudly represented this area for over 125 years is beyond me. I for one am glad the word "Wirral" is off our shirts next season for that very reason. Why bear the name of somewhere that is home to people like Philmch ?

Last edited by Reremnart; 25th Mar 2013 3:46pm.
LeeP88 #780216 25th Mar 2013 3:35pm
Old Hand
Old Hand
Originally Posted by LeeP88
The tree's will be replanted and there will be a PROPER memorial incorporated in the new housing plans.

"Promises to re-site the Memorial Plaque (the whole field is the memorial and is listed) do not need to be honoured by the builder as this information from the Planning Office confirms, “The applicant would not be tied to the indicative drawings 1531-119, 120 and 121 - they are simply an indication of the type of development that might be brought forward at the reserved matters stage.” This of course applies to the number of houses as well. When there are millions of pounds in the offing please read between the lines."
Source http://www.wilfredowenstory.com/ingleboroughroad.html

Old Hand
Old Hand
Originally Posted by Reremnart
sort of comment I have come to expect from some of the Plastic Scouse lowlifes that inhabit parts of this region.

Thread stopping comment, if ever there was one camera

dave_h #780242 25th Mar 2013 5:51pm
Old Hand
Old Hand
I am a Tranmere fan and have been all my life, it dosen't mean I support everything that Tranmere do, Peter Johnson is grabbing as much money back before he tries to sell Tranmere on ebay again. Community club yes, Peter Johnsons pockets no

Forum Master
Forum Master
I see you havent minded the £1.3million off the council over the past years and dont mind doing deals with your pet councillors to get what you want, so much for a community club that represents the wirral, they only represent themselves, who will take money off anyone to fund there sad club

dave_h #780272 25th Mar 2013 7:15pm
Old Hand
Old Hand
What exactly is a "Plastic Scouser" when it's at home ?

This is about a question of respect for our fellow man. FYI I have just as much respect for those who were tragically killed at Hillsborough and the MUFC players who died in the Munich disaster.

To dishonour decent people in such a way in the name of business is just plain wrong.

philmch #780273 25th Mar 2013 7:17pm
Smartchild
Smartchild
Originally Posted by philmch

This is about a question of respect for our fellow man. FYI I have just as much respect for those who were tragically killed at Hillsborough and the MUFC players who died in the Munich disaster.

To dishonour decent people in such a way in the name of business is just plain wrong.

withthat

philmch #780290 25th Mar 2013 7:56pm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by futurepast
Its tied into a micky mouse proposal to give Tranmere the Woodchurch leasue center, the two current full size pitches as well as the running track,the preposal is to turn the running track into a number of five a side astro pitches that Tranmere can lease at a fee to the Wirral community.
The Woodchurch community get a couple of football pitches out of the deal on a piece of land that is nothing more than marsh land, and a small community hall that was to be knocked down as part of the councils asset revue.
I challenged Alan Stenard 2 years ago in a public forum about this deal with Tranmere and the council and he denied it existed point blank. This deal was done two years ago signed and sealed, profits and backhanders agreed and divided up.

That's not entirely accurate.

The proposal is for Tranmere Rovers FC to build a leisure centre with flexible spaces to cater for all current users of the centre, together with new changing facilities for community use. The existing swimming pool will remain untouched, and the new centre will accommodate the Club's Admin Dept & changing facilities.

The proposal for the fields is to make use of them to cater for the club and community use by developing state of the art facilities, including:
* 3 multi use sports pitches & 2 half size pitches free for community use.
*10 5 a side fottball football pitches available with free weekly and weekend community use,
* a full size all weather pitch that would be available for use.
* 2 full size pitches and a training area, to fulfil TRFC requirements.

Thw Leisure Centre and fields would be maintained by TRFC to ensure first class facilities long term.

The above information is taken from the Woodchurch Community Public Consultation by Tranmere Rovers FC in January 2011, the community defined as being bordered by the M53 to the east, the Upton Bypass, Arrowe Park Road & Woodchurch Road.

Of the residents that responded to the question: "Overall are you in favour of TRFC moving to Woodchurch", 98.7% responded "Yes".

Now I do accept that in an ideal world, leisure centres should be run by the council, but rightly or wrongly in the current economic climate, the Woodchurch Community Centre has become run down & poorly maintained, and has been subject to speculation re possible closure. Against that backdrop, and given that the fields themselves are unkempt and little more than a convenient dog toilet, I personally believe that the benefits to be accrued by this proposal far outweigh the negatives.

philmch #780313 25th Mar 2013 8:19pm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by philmch

I'd define a plastic scouser as someone not from the city of Liverpool, but who aspires to scousehood, as they feel that it gives them extra kudos, for whatever reason. To that end, they are prepared to detract from their own borough, and are often prepared to deny their roots in favour of pretending to be from a neighbouring city. The irony, which is often lost on them, is that real scousers certainly don't consider the "plastics" as part of them, and are generally ambivalent as regards the surrounding areas, such as Wirral, St Helens or Southport.

Within the context of this debate, I think this is relevant, as there are many Wirralians who attach their allegiances to the big football clubs over the water, and whilst it is a free country, and they have every right to do so, ultimately, their interest is vicarious, as any sporting triumphs and disasters are not genuinely theirs, other than by pretence.

Consequently, at a subconscious level, they feel a sense of shame at prostituting their emotions to a professional football club other than the one that represents their community, with the result that this discomfort manifests itself in misplaced hostility, in this instance to Tranmere Rovers FC.

So, all that said, I believe part of the motivation for some people's stance regarding the Ingleborough Road debate stems from that, which is a shame, as it muddies the waters re the substantive argument, which I guess in short can be summed up as:

a) Some people believe that the Ingleborough Road fields, trees etc are a war memorial in their entirety, and therefore should not be sold or developed under any circumstances,

or alternatively

b) Some people believe that The Fallen can be honoured, remembered & respected as part of the development, and whilst acknowledging the sensitivity of the situation and the opposing view, believe that the positive legacy of the proposal going ahead outweighs the negative aspects.

It is an arguable point, and I don't believe either side has the moral high ground as such. However, some of the emotive language emanating from opponents of the development is, in my opinion, both arrogant and intolerant, as despite their beliefs, which of course they are entitled to, that doesn't give them the exclusivity on truth or superior ethics, but merely a different opinion.

24424m #780316 25th Mar 2013 8:22pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Although I'm not local any more I'll put in my two pence worth.
I think the proposal to build houses on the Ingleborough Rd. site is simply wrong and I don't see how the Council can have the power, or the nerve, to put aside the covenant.
I was raised just a stone's throw from these fields, corner of Ben Nevis Rd./Irvine Rd., when they were the Institute playing fields.
When I was a child, my dad used to take me to see the Rovers play on a Saturday. It was usually cold and wet. It's owing to this experience that I have had a lifetime's dislike of football ( I have a similar dislike of Rugby as I was forced to play it at school).
By all means, let Tranmere Rovers either disappear or move to Woodchurch, when Prenton Park can be used for housing.

Carpe diem.
24424m #780327 25th Mar 2013 8:39pm
Forum Master
Forum Master
Would I be right in saying that tranmere have owned the fields over the last ten years and it they that have let the fields become unkempt and a dog toilet?and that the £1.3million that has been given to tranmere would have been better spent doing the Woody up, now that sounds right to me public money spent on the public instead of a private club.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
Gibbo
Gibbo
Formby
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,230 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,325 Spotted!