Welcome to WikiWirral, sharing is what we do best.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,926 guests, and 465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#774894 7th Mar 2013 11:15am
Willo_ Offline OP
Forum Master
OP Offline
Forum Master
This country is going back to maggie thatcher days.

I can see Birkenhead park and central park soon covered in tents with people living in them, ive just had a housing officer here, and even she is hoping for riots.

When are this govenment going to relise what they are doing to people.

Google Ads
Willo_ #774902 7th Mar 2013 11:43am
Addict
Addict
We live in difficult times, but nothing like the thirties when nobody in Birkenhead had anything and there was no welfare state (safety net) nor free health service to fall back on back then. But, as far as I know, despite those hard times, and national means-testing, there was nobody living in tents in Birkenhead park.

Just as a matter of fact, Cameron told Parliament yesterday that the annual cost of housing benefit is more than £23billion. I don't believe that when Beveridge wrote his report into social living conditions in the UK, back in 1942, which led to the welfare state being introduced, that he ever envisaged that one day the country would be burdoned with that annual cost in free housing alone. I don't believe either that his intentions were to provide free housing for life for a huge percentage of the population, but that's what has come about.

I don't think anybody has the answer to the current economic crises either, which has seen the country in debt, to in excess of more than a trillion pounds. But rioting and trashing up our own communities won't solve any of it.

I'm no fan of any of the three major parties, especially Cameron's lot, but when your rocket ship is heading for a black-hole in deep space and certain armageddon, continuing on course for that black hole would be the captaincy of a mad-man.

Whatever your personal problems are, I wish you well.

Alonso #774904 7th Mar 2013 11:54am
Newbeee
Newbeee
It's easier to stay on benefit these days cuz your better off on it. I'm a single parent working full time but those living around me on the dole seem to have holidays, houses fit for kings I struggle every single wk and do wonder what am I doing! They have no worries about rent rises ect mines going up £5 a wk in April but the dole pays there's. I believe everybody should work for money even dole whether its litter picking painting anything at all. Not just sitting around chatting or going for sun beds!

Willo_ #774906 7th Mar 2013 12:00pm
Forum Master
Forum Master
If times are so hard then why is Liverpool packed with shoppers Saturday day time and the pubs packed with people Saturday evening?

I keep hearing that people claim times are hard, and for some I'm sure that's true, but maybe they're just spending more of their disposable income than we did in the 70s and 80s?

There was a recent story in the news about food waste, this never used to happen. And we didn't have the choice of shopping and value that we do now. You certainly couldn't get a tin of beans for whatever the equivalent of 9p was back then.

I bought a kettle for work last week - it was a fiver. Less than an hour of an average wage. Years ago something as simple as a kettle was a significant purchase. I remember years ago getting a Morphy Richards one for something like £20, which was easily a day's wage.

Car ownership is no longer a luxury any more, neither is a big telly and a full Sky or cable package, same with nightly takeaways.

The problem is many people have got so used to luxuries, for them they've become essentials. Saving for a rainy day? Forget it. People need to step back and take a look at the consumerism of their lives.

Alonso #774907 7th Mar 2013 12:00pm
Willo_ Offline OP
Forum Master
OP Offline
Forum Master
Originally Posted by Alonso
We live in difficult times, but nothing like the thirties when nobody in Birkenhead had anything and there was no welfare state (safety net) nor free health service to fall back on back then. But, as far as I know, despite those hard times, and national means-testing, there was nobody living in tents in Birkenhead park.

Just as a matter of fact, Cameron told Parliament yesterday that the annual cost of housing benefit is more than £23billion. I don't believe that when Beveridge wrote his report into social living conditions in the UK, back in 1942, which led to the welfare state being introduced, that he ever envisaged that one day the country would be burdoned with that annual cost in free housing alone. I don't believe either that his intentions were to provide free housing for life for a huge percentage of the population, but that's what has come about.

I don't think anybody has the answer to the current economic crises either, which has seen the country in debt, to in excess of more than a trillion pounds. But rioting and trashing up our own communities won't solve any of it.

I'm no fan of any of the three major parties, especially Cameron's lot, but when your rocket ship is heading for a black-hole in deep space and certain armageddon, continuing on course for that black hole would be the captaincy of a mad-man.

Whatever your personal problems are, I wish you well.
I dont have any personal problems. Also I do not get free housing.

And the tent statement i made, was not something i was saying had happened before, but the way this govenment are going, it wont be long.

Willo_ #774913 7th Mar 2013 12:17pm
Old Hand
Old Hand
Anyone know if any bookies are giving odds on Cameron being the first Uk Prime minister assassinated since 1812?

Its looking like a very good bet!!!

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Pinkyroo
It's easier to stay on benefit these days cuz your better off on it. I'm a single parent working full time but those living around me on the dole seem to have holidays, houses fit for kings I struggle every single wk and do wonder what am I doing! They have no worries about rent rises ect mines going up £5 a wk in April but the dole pays there's. I believe everybody should work for money even dole whether its litter picking painting anything at all. Not just sitting around chatting or going for sun beds!

Maybe so pinky but those on the dole with luxury houses are the mugs who are racking up a lifetime of debt so I wouldn't worry about it.

When they come back from their holidays they will be paying tenfold.

Debt debt debt, not a very pleasant way of living.

Gibbos post is correct I have to agree.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Putin khuilo
Willo_ #774917 7th Mar 2013 12:37pm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
People have no self respect, it's really that simple.

They see people working hard for nice things and think they deserve them too.

Wise One
Wise One
Just for a moment then I thought that headline said 'Maggie Thatcher Dies' and was about to crack open the Asti Spumante.

Back on topic, I tend to agree with the OP and believe north Wirral has been put back into an 1980's style 'Managed Decline' and all the things that it entails.

Gibbo #774936 7th Mar 2013 1:55pm
Addict
Addict
Originally Posted by Gibbo
If times are so hard then why is Liverpool packed with shoppers Saturday day time and the pubs packed with people Saturday evening?

I keep hearing that people claim times are hard, and for some I'm sure that's true, but maybe they're just spending more of their disposable income than we did in the 70s and 80s?

There was a recent story in the news about food waste, this never used to happen. And we didn't have the choice of shopping and value that we do now. You certainly couldn't get a tin of beans for whatever the equivalent of 9p was back then.

I bought a kettle for work last week - it was a fiver. Less than an hour of an average wage. Years ago something as simple as a kettle was a significant purchase. I remember years ago getting a Morphy Richards one for something like £20, which was easily a day's wage.

Car ownership is no longer a luxury any more, neither is a big telly and a full Sky or cable package, same with nightly takeaways.

The problem is many people have got so used to luxuries, for them they've become essentials. Saving for a rainy day? Forget it. People need to step back and take a look at the consumerism of their lives.
Spot on!

Willo_ Offline OP
Forum Master
OP Offline
Forum Master
I have a strong suspicion that all the people who are saying the govenment are great and do a good job and there are no problems, are the people who have a stable job and earn enough money to live Comfortable.

It always seems to be these people who are saying stop all benefits make the people on dole work for there dole, god help people if you where in power, you would have people who do not have a job livng down back alleys like rats.

Not everyone who does not have a job, does not want one.

I dont claim state handouts, but sometimes i wish i did, as i would be much better off.

Old Hand
Old Hand
Thatcher days my gluteus maximus. Here are the stats for UK unemployment from 1984 onwards:

http://tinyurl.com/cyanytr

As you can see, it peaked at 11.3% in May 1986. It's currently around 7.7%

As someone who was out of work in the 80s I can say that things were without a doubt far worse back then. This itself was a tea party compared to when my mum was a child in Wallasey in the 30s and kids literally went starving and without shoes.

We've got it easy if you ask me.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by BurgerChips
I have a strong suspicion that all the people who are saying the govenment are great and do a good job and there are no problems, are the people who have a stable job and earn enough money to live Comfortable.

It always seems to be these people who are saying stop all benefits make the people on dole work for there dole, god help people if you where in power, you would have people who do not have a job livng down back alleys like rats.

Not everyone who does not have a job, does not want one.

I dont claim state handouts, but sometimes i wish i did, as i would be much better off.

Erm, might i add i'm not on the governments side, they are all a bunch of idiots to put it politely.

F*&% the government & this country!

United Kingdom my ass!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Putin khuilo
Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
None of the major parties represent the majority of people in this country, the once representative Labour party has been watered down and is not much better than the Tories, however we have in place at the moment one of the most vindictive insidious governments since Thatcher,sadly they thrive because most people have more interest in the x factor or football or are worshipping some nonity celebrity, wake up people this bunch of public schoolboys will see us all in the gutter,start seeking a better life for us through the ballot box at the next election.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Don't know about Birkenhead Park, but there was certainly a tent city in Leasowe/Moreton along with many other types of cheap housing. I agree with you. Day by day the UK is getting nearer to being a third world country. We will know we have arrived when immigrants stop coming here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am