Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
7 members (ArranGirl13, 2 invisible), 8,084 guests, and 428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
What would need to happen for Birkenhead town centre for it to become a place people would want to visit / shop?
Comments, either on here or elsewhere always say how awful it is now and it's become so bad that most people choose to shop elsewhere.
When you think of Albert Dock before it was regenerated, it was an eyesore yet it has been transformed into a major tourist attraction.
So what could be done to save Birkenhead from endless charity shops and the like and get it to a place where people would be happy to go?
Or is it too far gone and it's just going to get worse?

Google Ads
Wiki Guardian
Wiki Guardian
People having money to spend shopping, unlike Liverpool Birkenhead has nothing to attract masses of tourist and their money.

Smartchild
Smartchild
Albert dock was a bit different, firstly it was conceived on the back of the toxteth riots and had the complete backing (and funding) of central government. Michael Heseltine was the minister appointed to directly oversee the project which was carried out through a government quango (the MDC). The MDC could also bypass Liverpool City Council as a planning authority, so there was very little to get in its way.

With Wirral waters getting underway, it's unlikely that anything will be done to the town centre in terms of substantial investment; local councillors are concerned about this.

I couldn't imagine any investment coming from central government for Birkenhead as it's not alone in town centre decline (Preston was on the news last night about exactly the same thing).

Personally I think it should put more emphasis on the market as it has history and does help make the place a little unique.

Last edited by Neil_c; 1st Mar 2013 8:56am.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
I know what puts me off, parking charges, might as well get the train over the water and have a better experience.

Birkenhead........ God's own Room 101.
Went to Hamilton square for meeting ,drove around to find I had to pay to park ,never again birkenhead ..when you park someone from the council should hand you money ...... Terrible place .i work 5 mins from centre and have shopped there twice in 12 years .

Smartchild
Smartchild
Went shopping in Birkenhead yesterday, sad to see such decline even in the two years since I moved back to Wirral, I lived in Northwich previously, free parking in the town resulted in a lively economy.

Worth stating that Albert Dock actually failed as a retail destination but has thrived as part of the visitor economy.

Liverpool one has done for Birkenhead what Meadowhall did for Sheffield, Manchester has its Trafford centre and Prescot is now Tescoville, Birkenhead also has to contend with Chester and Cheshire Oaks.

The Answer is a mixture of a renewed vision followed by investment and a rethink about arcane parking laws, backed up by us the residents of Wirral, we should all spend locally whenever possible, if we did this then more shops would stay open.

K

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
I know what puts me off, parking charges, might as well get the train over the water and have a better experience.

In total agreement.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
The work going on now for more shops/ outlets at M53 Junction 1 (Bidston) is not going to help Birkenhead centre either. Next, Argos, M&S (? rumoured) and maybe PC World (rumoured)

The work is well underway and although the following link shows only the developers 'model' I doubt they would be able to show the named shops unless it had been agreed.

For me it is better - because I live in Wallasey and just the other side of Junction 1 - but that simply makes it even more unlikely that I will go into Birkenhead.

http://www.vzdv.com/Bidston-Moss/Selected-Projects/

Snod

5 Precepts of Buddhism seem appropriate. Refrain from taking life. Refrain from taking that which is not given. Refrain from misconduct. Refrain from lying. Refrain from intoxicants which lead to loss of mindfulness
radical thought, demolish the eyesore that is Birkenhead Market, the whole place is overpriced, depressingly full of boring 'Stalls' and 'coffee shops'. there is no atmosphere about the place, staff seem too bored to even engage in eye contact, let alone conversation!!then in it's place could be a much smaller,more attractive area that could be used as venue for a real Farmers Market, held at weekends,

Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Wirral, just as Chester city centre is now doing , don't want cars in the city or town centre, they have their wish, most cars can take up to four people, those people are now going to out of town shopping area's and the city/town centres are doing what's expected dying due to lack of footfall into the city / town centre shops, you can't have it both ways, people if they had a chance would never get out of their car if the shops aisle were wide enough, the Council can have high parking fees to dissuade drivers and very few people or low parking fees and like Widnes or even Ellesmere Port lots of people.

Last edited by davew3; 1st Mar 2013 4:33pm.
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
nuke the place and start again.

look at liverpool one and the building (quiggins i believe) that was there beforehand and the major uproar that went around that being pulled down to make way for liverpool one.

i much prefer liverpool as it is now than as it was then

as was said earlier by BandyCoot - i would much rather spend the extra quid or so on the train and have the pleasure and experience of walking round liverpool shopping and have the choice of hundreds and hundreds of shops, some of which i'm still discovering, than go into birkenhead and wanting to get out ASAP.

parking i know is an issue to most, not me as at the moment i don't have a car (have had in the past, and will have in the near future) but charging more to park in birkenhead than the equivelant to park in Liverpool... i know what i'd rather do.

Newbeee
Newbeee
Birkenhead market is part of the heritage of Birkenhead. What they need to do is reconfigure it. Make it more of a farmers market for local produce etc.

The problem is trying to get big brands to invest in putting their stores in Birkenhead. If there were more of a variety in shops, people would go!
But, as Liverpool is so close by, the other option is to go down the Chester/Shrewsbury route, and have smaller unique shops. They'd have to reduce rents to gain this tho!

And parking is an issue. They should maybe do a park & ride from a free/cheap car park nearby?

Check out my Instagram with pictures of my walks around the Wirral & the history attached to it!
https://instagram.com/walkswithmydogwirral?r=nametag
Wise One
Wise One
The unstoppable rise of internet shopping has already changed every high street as we recently used to perceive it, and the majority of all shops are going to close sooner rather than later, but it's not to blame for the rot that had already set in. Birkenhead is a shopping backwater, Liverpool is the nearest major shopping destination, but not so far away from Manchester that two stores might be needed. It's not that important to go to a store, for most purchases, when you can have the convenience of goods delivered to your doorstep for less than it costs to park a car.

The only other reason to go to Birkenhead would be for it to become a destination in itself. Leisure services such as bars, restaurants, venues, cinemas, galleries, theatres, museums, arcades, tourist attractions... places to gather with friends and spend money. Anything other than retail.

tl;dr? Nothing simple that'll happen by grand design, these things evolve over generations.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Originally Posted by CateJones
Birkenhead market is part of the heritage of Birkenhead.

I'm afraid that, to those of us who knew and loved the old market, the present one is rubbish.

Carpe diem.
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by Shambo
The only other reason to go to Birkenhead would be for it to become a destination in itself. Leisure services such as bars, restaurants, venues, cinemas, galleries, theatres, museums, arcades, tourist attractions... places to gather with friends and spend money. Anything other than retail.

unfortunately for birkenhead the recent resurgence of new brighton and the bad reputation that birkenhead has for pubs etc is always going to go against it.

i'm too young to know what liverpool used to be like, but i've heard stories of unprecedented random acts of violence and other such negatives from how it "used" to be on a night out, but since i've been going (around 6 years) i've never seen a single fight or anyone even showing signs that they want to go for a fight.

i have been to birkenhead on a night out twice in the past 6 years, one time a lad was stabbed, another there was a full-on brawl.

as you said, things need a long time, perhaps as much as generations, to evolve. and Liverpool has clearly managed that, ok with the assistance of a strategically placed fairly small police presence, birkenhead needs the same to happen for anyone with more than 2 brain cells to want to go there with friends for an enjoyable time, it needs a cleaner public image and new lease of life, obviously through major investment and redevelopment, otherwise it's going to become one of them places you avoid at all costs.

being what it is, a vaguely historic place, i am disappointed that Birkenhead has ended up how it has done, nobody and everybody is to blame for that, but when and IF, it does have a resurgence, i will be interested to see what direction it goes in. a shopping centre will be out of the question unless it goes like the trafford centre and is mainly inddors with some nice restaurants etc, but birkenhead isn't as important as manchester or as easily accessable to the country so it won't be a rival to the trafford centre, could it be like liverpool one? again, no. liverpool has a few train lines going to it as well as more roads to the city whereas birkenhead doesn't.
it will be interesting to see IF birkenhed does get redeveloped in years to come, and i mean 20+ years away, not anytime in the near future, and what direction it will go in. there's nothing i can think of that either hasn't already been done on the wirral/Liverpool to make people go there instead of anywhere else or that will be economically viable if there aren't as many shops...

tl;dr birkenhead isn't gonna change any time soon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am