Welcome to WikiWirral, sharing is what we do best.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,926 guests, and 465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Smartchild
OP Offline
Smartchild
I wasn't going to post this, but now it's in the paper, people will know. One of my daughters best friends at school died on Friday and it's incredibly sad. I just hope that some awareness about Meningitis might help someone else. This was a wonderful talented girl and a wonderful friend to my daughter. Please only post positive comments and please spread awareness of meningitis xxxx

Wirral Globe

A TALENTED Wirral teenager has lost her fight with meningitis.

Fifteen-year-old Daisy Metcalfe, from Wallasey, died from the virus last Friday in hospital.

Following her tragic death Birkenhead High School Academy, where she was a pupil, paid tribute to her "confidence" and "wonderful" personality.

And health officials have moved to reassure parents at Birkenhead High School that it is safe for their children to attend.

They say that as pneumococcal meningitis is not infectious, no further action is needed.

Headteacher Christine Mann said: "It is with a heavy heart that I must inform you of the death of Daisy Metcalfe.

"Daisy was a kind and conscientious person who would always put the interests of others before her own - a quiet, gentle girl who never made a fuss about anything.

"Daisy was a gifted young musician, able to switch between trumpet, tenor and French horn, playing with the wind band, orchestra, the inter-schools brass ensemble and the rock-band project."

The school has held a special assembly in which a minute's silence was conducted in Daisy's memory and support is being offered to grieving staff and pupils.

Mrs Mann added: "Daisy was an immensely talented individual who approached all aspects of her life with a confidence and determination beyond her years, and with a wonderful sense of humour.

"Daisy was quite simply a joy to know and was much loved by everyone who knew her. She will be deeply missed."

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) is warning people to look out for the signs and symptoms of meningitis.

Dr Nicola Schinaia, a consultant with the HPA's Cheshire and Merseyside Health Protection Unit, said: "This is desperately sad and our hearts go out to the girl’s family. Pneumococcal infection is comparatively rare and meningitis caused by the pneumococcal bacteria is extremely rare.

"However, everyone should be aware of the symptoms to look out for and of the need to take urgent action whenever a case is suspected.

"The best way for parents to protect their children is to make sure they are up to date with their immunisations. The routine childhood immunisation programme includes a pneumococcal vaccine (PCV) that protects against the more common strains of this illness."

Pneumococcal meningitis can affect any age group, but those at most risk are babies and young children under 18 months of age.

The elderly and people with conditions that affect the immune system are also at increased risk. As with all types of meningitis, the onset of illness is often sudden.

Pneumococcal bacteria may cause sinusitis, middle ear infections, pneumonia, bacteraemia (a serious infection of the blood, also known as septicaemia) and meningitis.

Symptoms are also similar to those of the more common meningococcal meningitis, including sudden onset of high fever, vomiting, stiff neck, and a rash that does not fade when pressed with glass.

Google Ads
Wise One
Wise One
i worked with her dad,so so sad.she will be sadly missed,R.I.P daisy.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Sallybear, this is very,very sad news and my sympathies go to Daisy's family and friends.
It is the most dreadful illness which comes with such little warning.

My grandaughter( a baby) suffered the meningococcal strain of meningitis.From vomitting to being on life support, just one hour. No rash had shown prior to the ambulance being called, just very limp. She survived.

Please take heed of Sallybear's post and be aware. If you are unsure, call the ambulance. A GP visit could be too late!

I hope your daughter and other friends of Daisy will be able to support each other, with help, through their saddest times.
Very sad.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Old Hand
Old Hand
How very sad, my hubby had this a few years back, he survived, but only cos he had immediate medical attention from a doctor who knew all about it, My thoughts are with you all, x

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Terrible tragedy. So young with so much ahead of her. Sincere sympathy to her family and friends.

Wise One
Wise One
So sad, feel for the family and friends. Terrible illness, I recall a young lad (wont name on here) passing away in the 90's, only about 4-5 tears of age and was so quick, felt ill at tea and passed away about 12-16 hours later. So quick and tragic.

R.I.P Daisy

Old Hand
Old Hand
Daisys boyfriend lives next door to my parents. I met daisy at our jubilee party, a lovely girl. Her boyfriend now wants to do fundraising to raise awareness of meningitis. If anyone wants to donate I will let you know what he is doing when he has organised it. As you can imagine the whole family are heartbroken

Beginner
Beginner
Thank you all for you're kind words and sentiments. I'm a very close family member, and i'd like to offer my sincere gratitude to everybody who has supported and helped us navigate through this terrible tragedy; we couldnt of done it without your love and kindness. smile
We are in the final stages of organising a 14 stage charity walk from Wirral to Aberdeen this coming August. Participants can walk as many miles as they feel able, be it either 1, or the whole 345 over a fortnight. We have been overwhelmed by the positive response to this idea, and it's already promising to be much larger than initially expected. All proceeds go directly to Meningitis UK.
I'll post a thread on it (if that's ok mod's!), as we have have a couple of pre-walk fundraisers arranged that may interest users of WikiWirral. If anybody reading this is interested in participating in the walk or preceeding events, please inbox me for details.

You can find us on Facebook here:
http://www.facebook.com/daisychain2013?ref=hl

Thanks again. smile

Beginner
Beginner

Wise One
Wise One
I can only echo the words above. Don't mess about with GP's, go straight to A & E even if you only suspect it is meningitis. Tell them you suspect it as well even if you are wrong it is better to be safe than sorry.

I lost my daughter at the age of four with it. Many years ago now but the hurt is still there.

There is some good news, thanks to the charities, there are now vaccines for some strains of the disease but all donations help further research and hopefully wipe it out for once and for all are desperately needed.

Beginner
Beginner
Well said Helles smile I'm terribly sorry to hear about your daughter, you'll understand everything we're going through right now frown

Time is of the absolute essence when it comes to meningitis; if you suspect it, no matter how remotely, bring your suspicions to the attention of hospital staff immediately. This disease can kill in under 2 hours and it can just come out of nowhere, please be vigilant. x

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am