The new church of St Wddyn was built by the Liverpool Corporation under the terms of the 1880 Liverpool Corporation Waterworks Act. Building began in 1887 and the church was consecrated in 1888, a week after the old church of St Johnís had been flooded by the swelling waters of the new Lake Vyrnwy.
The new church is built in a free Arts and Crafts interpretation of Early English style, to the design of the architect F W Holme. It consists of a nave (the main body of the church), chancel (the east end of the building) with transepts and a pentagonal apse, and is built in the same blue grey stone as the dam and other village buildings constructed by the Liverpool Corporation. http://www.living-stones.info/downloads/guides/14_Wyddns_Church_web.pdf