WikiWirral Online with you since 2003, fantastic.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
9 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 8,070 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
TheDr Offline OP
Forum Master
OP Offline
Forum Master
Just wondering how other people would have responded to this customer.

I received a phone call at about 2pm yesterday saying that a guy had gone in to the New Ferry shop and was kicking off about a phone we'd unlocked for him two weeks earlier hadn't been done properly.

I asked them to book it back in and I'd check it to be told that he hadn't come in with the phone, he'd had it unlocked "properly" elsewhere and wanted his money back.

As we couldn't check the phone, and if he'd had the job done we couldn't redo it he was asked where it'd been unlocked as we'd call them and if they confirmed the job and the IMEI number we'd refund the cost (I was pretty certain it had been unlocked as this particular phone takes a while to do and I remembered it but there was always a chance).

He then said that it was somewhere on the Isle of Man, but he didn't know the name of the place, or the shop, nor did he have a receipt. He wasn't being too nice in his attitude either he just wanted them to hand money over.

He was told that they couldn't do that so he said he was going to wait in the shop all day and tell everyone how bad we were.

Well, every person that came in laughed at him, (which probably didn't help to be honest), and one guy after being told that a job he'd been quoted a large amount for elsewhere was just a few minutes fix and free gave them a large tip, for the job, and for "putting up with that pr**k".

3.30pm he storms off with a cry of "I'll be back".

Today he phones the Rock Ferry shop (obviously he thought it was the same place) with a "remember me" and "I was in your place yesterday about the job you didn't do" type thing, which the staff there knew nothing about. Apparently he's spent the day writing bad reviews about us all over the net (haven't seen one yet) and how he hopes we go bust and everyone loses their job (nice).

Just wondering how anybody else would have responded.

I personally think that he didn't know this was another shop and thought it was a new business so was trying it on. Did he really think that someone would just give him his money back because he said it didn't work without letting us check it ?

We've let people take items home to check first, let people pay next day when they've found themselves short, even stayed on well into the early hours when someone needed a computer desperately for an important event, basically all the things local shops can do and big stores can't, but people like this....

Google Ads
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
I have never been into either of your shops but I have had some good advice on the forum from you and everybody on Wiki talks very highly of you and says how good you all are.No doubt that this guy was trying it on and basically you called his bluff by asking him to bring it back.The further proof that he is a baddun is that he tried your other shop.I think if he makes any further contact by any method with either of your shops you should tell him you will contact the police and let them sort it out.As regards his threat of writing bad reports that can be taken with a very large dose of salt.

Smartchild
Smartchild
Dr that's outrageous. Your staff did entirely the right thing. Have a look on the net and see if you can find any bad reviews that he's written. Then if you've got contact details for him ring him and give him 24 hours to remove ALL of it otherwise threaten to sue him for libel.

Forum Master
Forum Master
what shop you got?

Wiki Guardian
Wiki Guardian
Thumbs up to you and your staff.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
No receipt for proof, no refund, that's univeral. You did the right thing Doc. Go down the libel route. happy

Birkenhead........ God's own Room 101.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
It doesn't seem that you or your staff have done anything wrong. You listened to him ,offered to correct the situation and were happy to offer a refund if he produced receipt from whoever unlocked it.

Can't really see what he's got to complain about, he should have returned with the phone as soon as he knew it wasn't working properly.

Policy in other places is to give a full refund on producing a receipt, if the goods are not up to scratch.

Personally, I'd give him a refund without any todo, and leave it at that. Sometimes it takes the wind out of their sails if you are over polite, very apologetic and gushy.(we can all do a bit of acting) If he should come in again, maybe best to say you can't fix it.
Should't even worry about his threats,all bluff and nothing to complain about if he has his refund.

I'd also have his full refund in an envelope and ready to give as soon as the critter walks into your shop.

Last edited by granny; 24th Oct 2012 8:37pm.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wiki Guardian
Wiki Guardian
Originally Posted by granny
It doesn't seem that you or your staff have done anything wrong. You listened to him ,offered to correct the situation and were happy to offer a refund if he produced receipt from whoever unlocked it.

Can't really see what he's got to complain about, he should have returned with the phone as soon as he knew it wasn't working properly.

Policy in other places is to give a full refund on producing a receipt, if the goods are not up to scratch.

Personally, I'd give him a refund without any todo, and leave it at that. Sometimes it takes the wind out of their sails if you are over polite, very apologetic and gushy.(we can all do a bit of acting) If he should come in again, maybe best to say you can't fix it.
Should't even worry about his threats,all bluff and nothing to complain about if he has his refund.

I'd also have his full refund in an envelope and ready to give as soon as the critter walks into your shop.

give him a refund and you give him what he wants. money for nothing.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Dilly
Originally Posted by granny

give him a refund and you give him what he wants. money for nothing.

Nobody has to give a refund if they don't want to, just might be a better option than going through all the harrasment that he's likey to cause. Yes, that's what he wants, we know that, he also wants to make a big issue out of it.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
next time someone like that is in, just call the police, surely there's a law against camping out in a shop when you're not wanted there?

TheDr Offline OP
Forum Master
OP Offline
Forum Master
If we've got it wrong (and it can happen), we sort out repairs, refunds etc, all the usual bits and pieces, and and as our tills store the information on every item item we've ever sold and every job we've ever done we don't always need receipts, but this guy basically just wanted to come in and be given money.

The problem, as I saw it, is that if you do this for no reason it'll get around fairly quickly that if you go in "there" and make a fuss they give you money for nothing.

I couldn't see the police treating it as a priority, the staff just got on with their work and customers coming it (it was a quiet afternoon) just laughed at him.

I think they got it right, if he'd have come back in with the phone, or even called us when he found out it wasn't unlocked (which is what he claimed), could have told us where he had done the the job "properly" (there are two mobile phone repair places on the Isle of Man that I know of, neither had done this job recently) then it could have been resolved quite easily, but to storm in screaming that we hadn't unlocked his phone and he wanted his money back, well, it was never going to endear him to us was it. smile

Smartchild
Smartchild
I appreciate what you're saying granny, just give him a refund and get shut of the idiot but I don't think you should give him even a partial refund Dr. As far as you're concerned you did the job that he paid you for.

As already said on this thread, you get great reviews on this site so you should stand up to the chancer who's threatening to jeopardise your reputation.

I've done a tiny bit of research and you really could sue him for libel if he's been 'slagging you off' on the internet.

In this economic climate there's a lot of chancers about, if we all gave in to them then we'd be doomed!!!

Forum Master
Forum Master
thanks to reddragon i now know your shop and i will say i use it alot lol.we got the pwer pack of you last week was funny cause i phoned the shop in rockferry and when hubby went to pick it up they said it must be ib the other shop did not realise you had 2 shops lol.
will say we have always been treated fair in your shope and that staff are brilliant and very helpful

Last edited by Zelda2012; 24th Oct 2012 11:44pm.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Maybe Doc. you could bring in a policy of NO REFUNDS unless it is proven beyond doubt, that any work undertaken has not been completed to the satisfactory requirements.

That at least, should cover you and stop anyone else from hoping to get away with the same scam.

Zubee,I think there would be little point in sueing him , for whatever reason, if he hasn't got any or much money.

Last edited by granny; 25th Oct 2012 12:23am.

~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
One more thing, if you should, by any chance give a refund, make sure he signs for the amount given and it is dated. You probably know that already, sorry!

~Chief Seattle
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am