Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,364
Posts1,033,327
Members14,584
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
6 members (2 invisible), 13,034 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Bunny, Stacey2007, PrimordialPoet, Rinchen, AGC12
14,584 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
lincle 4
Topic Replies
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:49pm
Hi to everyone
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:39pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 2:58pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 2:36pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
casper 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Forum Master
OP Offline
Forum Master
i will keep you informed

Google Ads
J
joalex
Unregistered
joalex
Unregistered
J
running away is not in my opinion a form of self defence. if your daughter is being taught that she should be running elsewhere and you should claim a full refund. are you sure she has been attending? its the first bullied black belt martial artist I ever heard of. the next time you take the karate kid to a class tell the teacher he is a sh*t bag with no balls. your daughter has the right to defend herself and if that means throwing a few crane kicks and she gets thrown out the club, so be it. take her elsewhere. best of luck.

Forum Master
OP Offline
Forum Master
thanks for your advice joalex but think i will pass on that one.as for the martial arts they all say the same thing about first form of self defence.i took the liberty of googling it for you.

The importance of teaching your children Self-Defence.

Teaching actual self defence to children:

The first rule of self defence is to run away. Any "self defence" course that doesn't emphasise this point is not good at all. 90% or more of self defence is enabling you to run away, e.g. if someone grabs you, how to make them let go so you can run away. There are also other important things to remember about running away, even if someone threatens you with a gun, the chances of them hitting you as you run away are very slim indeed (most criminals are not good marksmen either, because of rules and regulations about owning and learning to use firearms, and even an excellent marksman will find it hard to shoot someone running away from them.). So even then you should run away as fast as possible. Also, when alone in potentially dangerous situations, planning an escape route is very important. Hence the danger of dark alleyways (might not be anywhere to run to) and the importance of staying in well lit, wide streets (not only do you have a good chance of being able to run away, there is a good chance you/the potential attacker will be seen by passers by, which will not only deter the attacker but may also provide witnesses that will help the police in arresting them etc) - also, most attackers will not bother to chase you if you run away. Most attackers are after easy targets, either to mug them or sexually assault them, they will not take the trouble to chase someone.

While this is very good advice, it is also VITALLY important that your children realise that you can't always fight someone off, especially if its a child that is attacked by an older child or an adult.... firstly this emphasises the first rule of self defence (run away) and secondly if something DID happen to the child, if they feel that they did something wrong by not successfully defending themselves, this can increase the likelyhood of them suffering long term psychological problems because of what happened. Always emphasise, when things like that happen (e.g. your child sees something about it on the news) that it is not the victim's fault, and that anything you are teaching your child about self defence is not guaranteed to work in every situation, but is to increase their chances of being able to get away unscathed)

Regards bullying at school, things like martial arts are great, because it gives children the confidence to stand up to bullies, and also a child can use techniques like these if they are attacked by other children, and doing so will usually stop them from being a target for bullying againn (but you must make sure that they realise the importance of only using the techniques to protect themselves not for bullying, or for disproportionate responses to mild bullying (e.g. kicking someone in the head in response to namecalling))

--------------

Other things for personal safety with children:

Personally I think it is far far far more valuable to teach children what the dangers are and how to avoid them, than simply keeping them under lock and key. One of my friends at school was overprotected until the age of 18 then went totally crazy once she was 18 and did lots of very dangerous things, she was naive to the dangers that are out there, she saw advice like "don't go hitchhiking" as adults making boring rules trying to control her, rather than as important advice to keep her safe from what a certain kind of man would do to a woman once he'd got into her car. So the wrapping them in cotton wool thing doesn't work in the long term.

So teaching them about the dangers and WHY you won't let them do certain things, and other general advice about how to protect themselves (in a prevention is better than having to get yourself out of a dangerous situation kind of a way) is far more valuable.

Last edited by Zelda; 24th Aug 2012 1:36am.
Forum Master
OP Offline
Forum Master
on the above note goodnight wiki

J
joalex
Unregistered
joalex
Unregistered
J
cheers zelda. has this method helped your daughter? has running away taught your daughter to stand on her own two feet. I regret to inform you that martial arts has and always will be used as a form of self defence.. y bother wasting the time of police officers if your daughter can run away?

Old Hand
Old Hand
Joalex did you join this site to argue because all I have seen is ridiculous posts from you!

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
To Joalex, You really do need to think about what you are saying.All Martial artists are taught from day one that it is not a method of attack, for you to suggest otherwise shows a complete misunderstanding. Here we have a young girl being bullied by an absolute b####h and the authorities are letting her down.To suggest she should use her training to attack the bullier is simply making her as bad as the bully. I hope that Zelda manages to get the help her daughter deserves.

J
joalex
Unregistered
joalex
Unregistered
J
I to hope zelda gets it sorted & I would like to personally apologise to zelda for any offense I may have caused. I will also apologise for suggesting your daughter could throw a couple of crane kicks, which could cause severe injury. a black belt martial artist should be well equipped to block the strikes of a coward without needing to strike back. I do not and will not support the use of violence, however people have the right to defend themselves, family & property. it is within the law to use reasonable force to defend yourself, family & property and I am truly sorry if that offends you or anyone else.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by joalex
I to hope zelda gets it sorted & I would like to personally apologise to zelda for any offense I may have caused. I will also apologise for suggesting your daughter could throw a couple of crane kicks, which could cause severe injury. a black belt martial artist should be well equipped to block the strikes of a coward without needing to strike back. I do not and will not support the use of violence, however people have the right to defend themselves, family & property. it is within the law to use reasonable force to defend yourself, family & property and I am truly sorry if that offends you or anyone else.

Eh man everyone's entitled to their own opinion, don't worry.

Personally if I caught someone breaking into our house the mission would be to cause as much damage to them as possible, I do condone violence for things like burglary etc but when it comes to a kid being bullied it's a tottaly different matter.

Cops need to get their asses into gear and get more on the bully beat.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Putin khuilo
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Have the police been to see you yet?

M
markw2621
Unregistered
markw2621
Unregistered
M

Last edited by Mark; 25th Aug 2012 8:18am. Reason: Offensive Comments removed
J
joalex
Unregistered
joalex
Unregistered
J

Last edited by Mark; 25th Aug 2012 8:19am. Reason: Offensive Comments removed
Forum Master
OP Offline
Forum Master
I phoned police to day told them i am going to make a complaint as am very unhappy with the way they are handling things.told them i know how busy they are but this should have been delt with.
They said they would be calling today but as am not too well we have appointment on monday at 10am so will let you all know how things go.
Thanks to all for advice very much appreciated.

Originally Posted by joalex
post for mark2621. get in the real world u muppet an do 1 yourself.

I'll raise a glass the day you make a sensible post.

Originally Posted by Zelda
I phoned police to day told them i am going to make a complaint as am very unhappy with the way they are handling things.told them i know how busy they are but this should have been delt with.
They said they would be calling today but as am not too well we have appointment on monday at 10am so will let you all know how things go.
Thanks to all for advice very much appreciated.

I really sympathise with your situation but take into account how many stabbings are occurring, just take a look at the news section on here. They do need to prioritise these things.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
News : New Topics
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
Car paint jobs
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,580 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,875 Spotted!