Found this in: A SHORT History
OF OXTON 1800-1900 BY RAY JOHNSON
To ensure the religious well-being of the children of Oxton, the Sunday School was established in 1858 by Mr Francis Morton timber merchant of the Hermitage, Ingestre Road. Originally known as the Hermitage Sunday School, this establishment later became in 1871 a School in every sense of the word. Situated on Woodchurch Road close to its junction with Carlton Road, Mr Mortonís Sunday School was renamed the Hermitage British School and continued its educational role until it was closed in 1894. At that time it was realised that a larger School was required and plans were laid to build a replacement. The outcome was Woodchurch Road School which was opened in 1901. The same Mr Morton also started a savings bank, called The Cottagers Penny Savings Bank, no doubt to teach the simpler folk of Victorian Oxton that thriftiness was next to godliness.