WikiWirral yrs online 24/7 365 days a year.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
11 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,906 guests, and 508 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#698958 4th Jun 2012 1:40pm
Smartchild
OP Offline
Smartchild
S C A M - B E W A R E - They take money to fix a virus they upload on your computer. BT is aware of this.

I just had a call from some Indian person in a call centre telling me I had a virus on the computer. He then said to go online and the technician would scan the computer and fix it.
Straight away I rang BT - they know of this scam and what happens is the technician puts a virus on the computer - you then ring up and are charged for fixing it.
Unfortunately they lost money today. Why? I asked what virus I had as they said I had a virus. He would not answer. I asked that since he detected a virus in the past 2 days then I wanted to know as my virus protection was not working. I asked him at least 10 times what his phone number was - he was reluctant then asked my why I needed to know before I went online - I said so I could talk to him if there was problems with the technical service he was passing me onto.
He did admit he was from London (true?) he also said he was from the Online Technical Support Team.
BT was mentioned lots of times so I informed them of this company using them to gain money. BT did not seem to bother too much - I often wonder if this call centre in London could be a fraudulant part of the BT Indian call centre. Seems suspicious to me.

ACTION - keep him talking on the line, he gets fed up after 5 mins and hangs up on you.

BEWARE and REPORT. BT nuisance call number is 0800 661 441.

Google Ads
Smartchild
Smartchild
Thanks for the heads-up. I was thinking of changing my broadband supplier to BT too... I'm not going to now if this is how they treat their customers.

Typical of these types of businesses though, they promise you heaven and earth, then as soon as you sign up to an 18 month contract, they treat you with total contempt.

For example, leaving you in a 'phone queue listening to irritaing classical music for 40 minutes, only for the operator to tell you that they're ONLY responsible for the MAIN socket, which is behind your TV.
How many people have their PC behind their TV?! somad

Smartchild
OP Offline
Smartchild
I'm not sure if it is actually BT - the Indian man could be bluffing but did accentuate BT all through the conversation. He also mentioned that they work with other providers - Orange, Virgin Media and a few others. There was this same scam in 2010 - I wonder if it coincides with BT using an Indian call centre? - thought!! Just keep talking to these frauds on the phone and they will soon get so pissed off and hang up. I even had the cheek one day to ask what the weather was like in their country!

The last conversation over this scam was for BT to offer help as their own TPS system was failing due to these internation calls, and to ring a company called True Call to report nuisance calls. This I ignored because he also said they were powerless to stop the internation marketing calls. Anyway, at £5 per month it is worth buying a caller display phone and, unfortunately for those companies who with-hold numbers, to not answer if I can't see their number. We need to keep reporting to BT the nuisance calls which they allow through their network.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Its not BT. Im with Sky and I get them all the time, at least a couple a week. Cant stop them . Sometimes I waste their time if I have a bit to spare , but mostly just put the phone down as soon as I hear their voice.

T
The_Riddler
Unregistered
The_Riddler
Unregistered
T
blow a whistle down the phone, will stop them wink

Beginner
Beginner
We have TPS on our phone and after the 5th or 6th call reported it to BT. They said it was from abroad and they were frustrated because they had a lot of complaints and couldn't do anything about it. All they could advise was not to respond.

Wiki Master
Online Happy
Wiki Master
Not sure if this is the same one but it is similar?

My Uncle Received a Call out the Blue from a Tech Support that wanted to check his computer for virus?

At the time he was having Broad Band issues and Automatically assumed it was from his provider (It was not after checking). So he was either e-mailed or directed to a link which then allowed the technician a remote connection? OMG!

Because my uncle is not computer savvy he said he done a scan on his computer, and showed his a huge list of infected files which showed up in red.

2 Things are wrong with that.
1st he has a good Antivirus program installed.
2nd i'm not aware of any programs (windows programs) Showing a list of Red Icons to indicate "infected Files".

I was told he was doing what he was doing for about an Hour. Yes at this point my jaw was on the floor. Anyway after this guys Hour work he then attempted to charge £250 for the privilege and 12 months protection. Or £400 for 5 years protection. This is where my uncle is Savvy and told his to do one.

He has had a lucky escape as we have an external back up of his system, which only backs up once a week so that was what we done we restored it back to a week previous, knowing that any crap that tech had left on his computer was safely gone.

If this has happend to you

1) You could be infected.
2) your details could have been compromised.
3) your bank details could have been taken.

I suspect that there would have been a program left on the machine to allow them access at anytime. (I cant prove that) but that would be the main goal.

After a virus scan from his Anti Virus Program it found NO viruses after this techy's visit.

If its happened to you, you really need to re-install from scratch or use a un compromised Backup (Full Image Backup).

I know the details are vague about what happened on the computer, i just wish i was there. He did leave a call back number which we cant find (Too many scraps of paper).

This was a Scam and fortunately my uncle got away with it this time.

I hope the above helps someone else too.

Forum Master
Forum Master
Its a blatent scam. Dont waste your time and energy on them and just hang up. If you want to play with them, tell them you dont have a computer and they will just hang up on you.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
ignore those type of calls and keep your anti virus programme running sweetly. Happy computing

ALWAYS REMEMBER BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU:::::::: Have a nice day and an even better one tomorrow
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
I've had BT for years and never any bother. When I've had snags and got in touch with their Techies they sorted things out. Not particularly beating drum for BT but thought I'd mention it. If anyone phones saying you've got a virus they are obviously talking crap because they have no access to your computer unless you authorise them via remoting. Just unfortunate that some people are a bit gullible or not computer savvy.

Birkenhead........ God's own Room 101.
I get the call from a ''foreign'' gent every couple of times every week lol and now when they say ''hello this is Adam or Andrew from windows support i just tell them that I am the queen of Sheba and what can i do to help them and they soon hang up!!

Newbeee
Newbeee
An older friend of mine was explaining this very thing happened to her a few months ago. She said she got in such a panic when they called her that she went along with it and she paid them 96 pounds to fix the 'non existent' fault. It was only after speakin to her brother he told her it was a scam...it upset her as she is not usually that careless.

Beware peeps!

Old Hand
Old Hand
I'm in Australia and I get these calls too. This one was quite funy tho'. He told me it had been reported that I had a virus on my computer. I told him I don't have a computer because I'm an old age pensioner and wouldn't know how to use one. He argued a bit that I did have a computer, then said "well Ma'am could you just send me $80" I said "what for" he then said "because I'm very poor". I replied that I had just told him I am an O.A.P. and so I'm very poor too. He hung up and I haven't heard from him since. How's that for blatant cheek?

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
While this topic on scams is up, can I add about maybe another possible one. A few days ago, I received a call asking me to take part in a survey. I think we all know if the caller is from a foreign part or not by now. There is a certain tone to the call, that our ears tell us it's not a call from the uk. Apart from that, her accent was from possibly India or Asia somewhere. My immediate thought was they will be getting more information to target us and try the latest scam with, and so declined. It's always a give away if you do 1471 after the call. 'We do not have the callers number'. That means it is from outside the uk.
So I suggest, don't take part in any telephone surveys

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wise One
Wise One
Not strictly true granny. Anyone can withold a number. As stated, you can tell by the noises that it is overseas usually with a slight satellite delay.

I've had some fun with these people when I have the time. Had one on for ages once because I told him I had five computers and which one had the virus? Totally baffled him.

There was one guy who I told that I knew it was a scam, pee off and don't bother. He got quite arrogant and told me he would call me anytime he wanted. He never!

The answer is for everyone who is a bit savvy to inform those that aren't about the scam. If someone suggests a virus then get someone who knows to check it out. Xenophobe I may be but I have never had an British person phone to try and scam me. That is a fact!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am