Welcome to WikiWirral, sharing is what we do best.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,364
Posts1,033,327
Members14,584
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
14 members (3 invisible), 12,782 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Bunny, Stacey2007, PrimordialPoet, Rinchen, AGC12
14,584 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
lincle 4
casper 4
Topic Replies
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:49pm
Hi to everyone
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:39pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 2:58pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 2:36pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran
Veteran
This dispute is nowt to do with pay. It's about Health and Safety and Training. The rush downwards by the oil companies and retailers has made the industry unsafe. Asda only uses unmanned sites, there is a lack of effort to do repairs and maintenance. Guys are delivering fuel after one days training, ridiculous. I was asked to trai soldiers in Sutton Coldfield. I refused, the training I do is one to one and takes around two weeks, sometimes more. I was training a guy for two days and he just went. I thought he'd been put on another job. When I asked, he was out delivering fuel. Madness

Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I'd do it for the wages they must be on, man people need to make their minds up, they moan if there's no work then they moan about the work they have, jeese shut up or ship out.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Putin khuilo
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Just for the sake of the discussion - How much do you need to be on before you are satisfied enough to not hold the rest of the country to ransom? That's what the miners did every year and their job was definitely dangerous but it doesn't make that an excuse to cause everyon else misery. Myself, if I wanted more money I should've gone for promotion but I was happpier just being happy, book me in to that care home bert, I don't do envy I'm afraid.

For the sake of discussion I suppose everyone has different levels on what makes them happy as far as pay goes. Its a fact of life some workers can hold a company or even a country to ransom, it works both ways, a company or a country can also hold its workers to ransom, and yet very little is said when company or country hold its workers down. As this discussion is mainly about tanker drivers and the industry they work in, its probably an industry that has one of the biggest financial turnovers ever, rich pickings for management up and shareholders and yet when it comes down to the shop floor workers they are frowned upon for trying to not only uphold their level of pay but for also trying keep their terms and working conditions intact. If you want to live in a capitalist society, don't start moaning when the workers want to join you.

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
IMHO it's a political strike, no more, no less. Len is the new Scargill, simples.

Birkenhead........ God's own Room 101.
Forum Veteran
Online Content
Forum Veteran
If one of these tankers had an accident in a busy town centre and blew up or engulfed loads of nearby folk in flames, then there would be a huge outcry about Health and Safety.
As bert says when comparing wages it'soften rounded down to the lowest wage, never lifted up to the higher.
eg The Gov says public sector workers wages should be lowered to similar jobs and wages in the private sector.

The new God is Profit and more profit.

Guardian
Guardian
Originally Posted by TheDr
Originally Posted by Touchstone
Originally Posted by TheDr
A friend of mine returned from Helmand Province on Friday, he put it quite simply:

UK Tanker Drivers, up and down the M6/M62 - £45k p/a

Army Fuel Driver, on mine strewn rebel housing, mountain tracks £17k p/a

Remind me, which ones were striking over safety?

How much do you earn a year? I bet it's more than £17,000. Just for fiddling with a few computers?

How much I earn is completely irrelevant to the situation we are discussing, not entirely sure how you went down that route, I was defending the Army guys and you decide to attack me for it, as you agree with me ???

Casualty of Friendly Fire.

Your pay isn't irrelevant as you implied that tanker drivers are overpaid for what is a difficult and sometimes dangerous job. If were going down that road, why not tell us how much you earn so we can compare your worth to that of the military?
Soldiers may very well be underpaid. Indeed, they earn less than me and my job is far, far easier. But don't use that as a stick to bash the tanker drivers with. Have a go at MP, bankers, professional footballers, company CEOs etc if you really want to have a go at someone overpaid.
Also, this strike is about safety and working conditions. No wonder this country is in such a mess. Ordinary people having a go at each other and not seeing the real problems. The parasites at the top skimming of the rest of us.

I don't wish to come across as offensive to you, Doctor. I usually find your posts eloquent, but I think your offering up a straw man arguement on this occassion.

Last edited by Touchstone; 3rd Apr 2012 6:51pm.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by _Ste_
I'd do it for the wages they must be on, man people need to make their minds up, they moan if there's no work then they moan about the work they have, jeese shut up or ship out.

But don't you think that we should be able to work safely. If we applied that ethic, we'd still be sending kids up chimneys

Forum Master
Forum Master
The guys with little training are working for less money which is driving down the wages for the properly trained drivers. That is what its all about when you look past the health and safety issue. With out that there would be no talk of strikes. It always boils down to wages at the end of the day. I do however support the tanker drivers because big companys are also trying to de skill the industry i work in and its already taking effect. The working man is getting screwed at the moment.

Wise One
Wise One
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
The guys with little training are working for less money which is driving down the wages for the properly trained drivers. That is what its all about when you look past the health and safety issue. With out that there would be no talk of strikes. It always boils down to wages at the end of the day. I do however support the tanker drivers because big companys are also trying to de skill the industry i work in and its already taking effect. The working man is getting screwed at the moment.

I would support any person "fighting" for what they want but why should the public suffer? They get about £45K PA, and yes I would do the training, and do the job for £35K.

O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever ...
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
If any strike was about the issues it is purported to be then I could go along with it, but they are not. They are always about the Union leader being a militant and wanting to bring down the Govt. or give the boss a blackeye. People may believe they are about H&S, or wages etc. but they are mainly all about the Union leaders' egos. When McClusky has had his go at it then Serwotka will take his turn, then........ and so it goes on. When I was a civvy I never ever had a strike where the ordinary Union member came out of it with anything, it was always about the hierarchy.

Birkenhead........ God's own Room 101.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by pablo42
Originally Posted by _Ste_

But don't you think that we should be able to work safely. If we applied that ethic, we'd still be sending kids up chimneys

Yes, I agree to having safety bit comeon, most of the safety requirements are pure nonsense.

People have brains, they can work out safe practice, if not then I'm sorry but they don't belong in that line of work.

Putin khuilo
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by Touchstone

Your pay isn't irrelevant as you implied that tanker drivers are overpaid for what is a difficult and sometimes dangerous job. If were going down that road, why not tell us how much you earn so we can compare your worth to that of the military?
Soldiers may very well be underpaid. Indeed, they earn less than me and my job is far, far easier. But don't use that as a stick to bash the tanker drivers with. Have a go at MP, bankers, professional footballers, company CEOs etc if you really want to have a go at someone overpaid.
Also, this strike is about safety and working conditions. No wonder this country is in such a mess. Ordinary people having a go at each other and not seeing the real problems. The parasites at the top skimming of the rest of us.

I don't wish to come across as offensive to you, Doctor. I usually find your posts eloquent, but I think your offering up a straw man arguement on this occassion. [/quote]

the Dr's wage has got nothing to do with this statement, he was referencing a quote from someone who well may have to drive if this strike goes ahead. i dont think this comment relates to pay either, if someone has a gripe earning a minimum of 17K a year, (without going into pay issues of being on tour) then put there chit in, go outside and do a tanker job, its about conditions and the fact that the people driving will have to conduct such in worse conditions than those striking, because remember, armed forces can and mostly are exempt from drivers hours, definatly in this case, proberly 14hrs a day which is more than any driver , but they cant strike, only thing they can do is have a moan and get on with it.

you say parasites at the top skimming off the rest, thats just an excuse to do nothing, you say that this country is in a mess. ordinary people having ago at each other and not seeing the real problem is exactly what you have just done.

at the end of the day, he is speaking 2nd hand from someone who could potentially be in this situation, a perfectly valid comment

Standby to Beach! Out Troops!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
sorry, that didnt come out right :-(

the Dr's wage has got nothing to do with this statement, he was referencing a quote from someone who well may have to drive if this strike goes ahead. i dont think this comment relates to pay either, if someone has a gripe earning a minimum of 17K a year, (without going into pay issues of being on tour) then put there chit in, go outside and do a tanker job, its about conditions and the fact that the people driving will have to conduct such in worse conditions than those striking, because remember, armed forces can and mostly are exempt from drivers hours, definatly in this case, proberly 14hrs a day which is more than any driver , but they cant strike, only thing they can do is have a moan and get on with it.

you say parasites at the top skimming off the rest, thats just an excuse to do nothing, you say that this country is in a mess. ordinary people having ago at each other and not seeing the real problem is exactly what you have just done.

at the end of the day, he is speaking 2nd hand from someone who could potentially be in this situation, a perfectly valid comment

Standby to Beach! Out Troops!
Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
Asda only uses unmanned sites

I'm sure that the Bromborough one has two pay windows, as does Queensferry.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Gibbo
Asda only uses unmanned sites

I'm sure that the Bromborough one has two pay windows, as does Queensferry.

withthat

Queensferry deffo does, I had to go there a couple of weeks back as the one next to the motor auction has now closed down which is a pain.

Putin khuilo
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
Gibbo
Gibbo
Formby
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
News : New Topics
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
Car paint jobs
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,549 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,840 Spotted!