WikiWirral Online with you since 2003, fantastic.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,364
Posts1,033,327
Members14,584
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
14 members (3 invisible), 12,782 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Bunny, Stacey2007, PrimordialPoet, Rinchen, AGC12
14,584 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
lincle 4
casper 4
Topic Replies
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:49pm
Hi to everyone
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:39pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 2:58pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 2:36pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by lauralou2
Originally Posted by Handbag
I'd be really interested in finding out more.
I have an allotment and usually have a surplus of fruit and veg even after I've passed it out to my neighbours, would be nice to be able to donate to somewhere like this and know that the produce was going to be put to good use and to people who really need it
its in the wirral news think its run by local churches etc its so nice to know there are people like you out there who still care and are willing to help out others even though times are hard for everyone!

No, she means food distribution centres, but it obviously doesn't apply to some to assist only others!

Last edited by granny; 8th Mar 2012 11:41pm.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
These schemes exist (and are quite established) in the United States, because if you don't work, you're only entitled to benefits for so long, and then they get removed. So those who choose not to work, get a very limited amount of state aid. The problem has been exacerbated by the current US unemployment problems however.

Over here, there is no need for the scheme because the government pays more than enough in benefits for individuals and families alike to live, housing benefit, council tax benefit, JSA/IS/ESA, tax credits, DLA, etc, the list goes on and on and Ariston...

You will find that people who turn up at these centres either don't need it fullstop, but want something else for nothing, or are seeing it an opportunity to spend their money on other things, or are struggling to make ends meet because they are spending their money on drink, drugs and other things that the "safety net" aka state benefits, are not, and were never, intended for.

Just for being on JSA, any single person over 25 would be getting circa ~£300 per month to spend on what the hell they want, after their rent and council tax bills have been paid. Not to mention access to free dentistry and free prescriptions (all costs that an employed person has to pay, dentistry prices can run into the hundreds).

Many people on JSA who have never done a days work in their lives, are driving cars, wearing brand-named clothes, buying LCD televisions, Xbox's etc, so anyone who really believes there is a need for these schemes needs their heads testing. Looks like the church are responding to a problem that does not exist, but then it was all the bloody Bishops who tried to stand in the way of the government bringing in a fair £26,000 per annum (the equivalent to a job paying £35,000 per annum gross) limit to state benefits. Wouldn't surprise me if the churches were running these schemes to make a political point.

Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
ok these centres are for everyone working families too not just people who claim benefits i dont understand why everyone has such a hard time understanding some people are having an very hard time financially at the moment WORKING PEOPLE ARE ABLE TO GO THESE CENTRES TOO!

Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
and i thought people on here might have a little more empathy for those less well off

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
ok these centres are for everyone working families too not just people who claim benefits i dont understand why everyone has such a hard time understanding some people are having an very hard time financially at the moment WORKING PEOPLE ARE ABLE TO GO THESE CENTRES TOO!

whistle

Same goes for working people too, if they choose to gamble their money away it's their problemo!

Why are you so agitated about this?

think

Calm down calm down

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Putin khuilo
Forum Veteran
Online Content
Forum Veteran
Thompson's Mission as far as I know have been doing meals for homeless and other (needy?) people for several years and still doing it.
Don't know how you get admission in there though.

Last edited by derekdwc; 9th Mar 2012 11:32am.
Old Hand
Old Hand
Charles Thompson is a walk in centre for a drink and sandwich.It closes around midday.The food bank is organised from Heswall and is still in its infancy but yes churchs are organising cash collections. A lot of poverty is due to mental health problems. Also a single persons allowance is £68 a week on income support plus ofourse rent paid but just think how much it costs to heat a house, to buy a bus ticket etc.
I agree there is no such poverty as in parts of Africa but children of the sick and unemployed like computer games going swimming and nice clothes the same as other children, many parents get into debt so that their children are not different from other children.

Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
Originally Posted by _Ste_

whistle

Same goes for working people too, if they choose to gamble their money away it's their problemo!

Why are you so agitated about this?

think

Calm down calm down

[Linked Image]
because ste lifes really tough for some people and now your saying people must gamble their money away if they work but still struggling well oh my lord of the rings what planet do you live on.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Maybe we need more of a scrimpers mindset to permeate our society. Theres nothing more annoying than seeing people 'wasting' the money the Govt has given them ,on unecessary things such as ,for example ready prepared veggies,vacuum packed this and that food, fancy cotton wool balls(against a whole roll at the same price) , posh makeup, hair highlights at £70+ quid a throw, branded trainers and ear piercings for their toddler,the latest 'i'phone, Subway sandwiches, lighting their home like Blackpool, etc etc and therefore ending up not having sufficient money.
Lots of us have seen people we know who are on benefits ,living like that . Criticising Some of these lower end expenditures sounds petty, but theyre symptomatic of some peoples inability or maybe disinclination to rein in their spending, across the board .
Is it any surprise that those people who have been brought up to 'look after the pennies so the pounds look after themselves' , and who have scrimped and/or done without to ensure they lived (and still live) within their means, feel ambivolent towards benefit receivers?

There are many people around who are very genuinely broke because of certain circumstances, regardless of how hard they try to economise , and they most definitely deserve our help .
Its sad, but the problem is, that the 'wasters' (although hopefully they are only a small percentage of benefit consumers), get disproportionately noticed , and leave a bad taste in peoples mouths against ALL people on benefits.

Whoever mentioned the idea of vouchers for essentials being given, I agree with that. It would go a long way to addressing the problem.

Last edited by venice; 9th Mar 2012 6:52pm.
Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Edit to the above post.
I thought Id better add - I know its not just benefit claimants that 'waste' their finances by the way. I wouldnt feel any happier about a working family who squandered their income on unecessaries, claiming charitable community help to subsidize their profligate way of life.

Old Hand
Old Hand
I agree Venice there is no doubt that there needs to be education on budgeting etc but such schemes cost money and the take up is low. Meanwhile children have to be fed and it is difficult to manage on benefits.Frankly I cannot see how a person on benefits could afford £70 for a hairstyle.A lot of the trainers etc are bought through catalogues and there is a never ending repayment eating away at the budget.A couple of years ago the government somewhat madly changed the rules on housing benefit and rents are now paid directly to the tenant rather than direct to landlord resulting in massive arrears so I cannot see a voucher scheme for food being introduced regardless of the advantage of any such scheme.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
because ste lifes really tough for some people and now your saying people must gamble their money away if they work but still struggling well oh my lord of the rings what planet do you live on.

think Hnyes Hnyes.

I am living in reality and not some fairy fantasy world wink

I spend my money on booze or cars and have no money for food then it's tough luck, i ain't gonna go scrounging around shelters when theres real people in the world that have nothing and DESERVE the help!

Think about it.

Sheesh no

well oh my lord of the rings

Now that's a corker! laugh

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Putin khuilo
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
Gibbo
Gibbo
Formby
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
News : New Topics
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
Car paint jobs
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,549 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,840 Spotted!