WikiWirral Online with you since 2003, fantastic.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,899 guests, and 667 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#578783 8th Sep 2011 8:30pm
Mrscx Offline OP
Beginner
OP Offline
Beginner
Hey all,

Can anyone recommend a mums & tots group in New Brighton / Wallasey. The Sure Start classes are not suitable due to the age range (0-5 and three of them!!) of the kids so we are trying to find an alternative to keep us busy in the cold and rain brrrrrrrrr

Thanks in advance x

Google Ads
Addict
Addict
I live in Wallasey and have a similar problem to yours, there doesn't seem to be an awful lot about I think, there are some library sessions but they are always too early for us!! I tend to have to travel, usually go to St Luke's church in Hoylake on a tuesday, 1.30-3. It's only 80p! I know as well the Monkey House in Manor Road have toddler mornings where it's a reduced price and you get juice and a biscuit each (well, the babies do!). Hope there are some groups as I would be interested in joining some too! Thinking on, aren't there some toy library or stay and play sessions in sure start, suitable for all ages?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I noticed that St Thomas' church on Seaview Rd have been offering a stay and play session during weekdays - I don't know how popular it is or if it has taken off at all but it might be worth checking out smile

Old Hand
Old Hand
Have you tried liscard children's center at liscard primary school. Used to hav quite a few things on there. Earlston library has a session (think it's a Thursday morning). If you can travel irby school of dance has a Monday morning session for toddlers which is good as the parents all join in and all dance (not good when you're the only dad there lol) and monkey house is quite a good one. Isn't there also a place at the back of tesco express, not sure if that's a sure start. Used to also do some groups in the YMCA but not sure if they're still going. Hope this might be of some help.

Beginner
Beginner
Hi, I was wandering if there are any premises on the wirral that offer sensory play?? dark room, white room etc
I have not found anything like this yet, if this was available is it something you would consider bringing your children too.

thank you

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Theres several places on Wirral that do offer sensory rooms,

Hoylake

Wirral Resource Centre in Prenton

Wirral Play Council

If you're a bit more specific to where in Wirral, I may be able to help you further.

Hope it helps

Beginner
Beginner
Thank you for those examples. I am in the wallasey area, and I would really like to start my own business. currently doing research. The examples you gave me, are they all charity funded, and do the public have to pay for admission...
thank you again

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Hi

As far as I know, the 2 council ran centers, Wirral Resource and Wirral Play were charity funded, as I know they got funds from Aiming High (see this link for list - pdf list of where aiming highs funds went) )
and they probably asked for additional funds from other charities.

I also know WKRS (West Kirby Residential School) also have a sensory room, that was funded by a charity.

The other nearest one I know of in Wallasey is The Childrens Center in St Pauls Rd in Seacombe. But...even though I had a little boy, diagnosed with Autism and Global Developement Delay, we were never offered the oppertunity to use this facilities frown

So yeah, if there was a private one, in Wallasey, I would most likely pay to have access to a facility that offered private sessions. But it would have to be more than what I already have IYKWIM.

Are you specially qualified in Sensory Intergration therapy by any chance?

sorry, forgot to add...the 2 council ran centers - you don't have to pay BUT the sessions are with rather large groups of SN kids at the same time, which is why I personally, haven't joined my two ASD boys into their sessions, as it wouldn't suit them personally. The Wirral Resource Center do do small group sessions but they're not a regular consistent basis, as far as I know, plus its hard for me to get my boys there, again, not ideal in my situation. But others may know more.

Last edited by Snickas; 12th Dec 2011 1:30pm.
Beginner
Beginner
ah wow thank you so much for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately I am not qualified in Sensory Intergration therapy but I am looking into different courses and training programmes. I am qualified in NVQ level 3 childcare. I have worked in nurseries and different childcare settings for the past 6 years. I have done many 1 day courses involving sensory play, but nothing aimed directly at sensory therapy.

I am a strong believer that sensory play helps develop children and I want to be able to provide a setting that will meet the needs that you require. I will provide different environments just by changing different pieces of equipment that will stimulate or have a calming influence.

Would you be looking for somewhere to meet other families and interact with your children, so you would be just using the space provided or are you looking for somewhere that will offer sessions with a leader. I would like to say I could offer both but in the early stages of planning I would like to offer what people would like.
Thank you so much again you have helped me so much
kind regards
Natalie

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
[Linked Image] Natalie smile

Thank you for telling me more smile
I started doing alooooot of researching into sensory intergration play & therapy after my youngest was diagnosed with sensory processing difficulties (about 12mths ago now) by our local NHS OT, but was incredibly frustrated when all she could do was to officially diagnose him but couldn't offer any therapy of any kind as our NHS are very behind the times in accepting how effective the therapy is.
I've also done a couple of courses now, one with a real sensory intergration therapist (she had to be brought (privately with the schools funds) in from Warrington!) and I've done a couple on the sensory intergration network - heres the LINK if you've never heard of them.

Have you ever heard of the books The Out Of Sync Child and theres Out of Sync child has fun if they're of any use for you?
And if this of any use Sensory-Perceptual-Issues-Autism-Experiences
I'm meeting the author actually, at a conference in Liverpool next year, if you're interested in going? link here for details

Obviously all my info is related to ASD, and I'm trying to get and raise a lot of awareness on how much it is an effective therapy to other parents.

I would be interested in having private sessions in all honesty, because the boys would benefit alot more if other children weren't there (they wouldn't reap the full benefit of the sessions otherwise as they get distracted very easily). I would also have to become involved with the session because it would take a while for them to get used to the environment, therapist,etc.
If you were thinking of taking this route as well as group sessions, please let me know...I know alot of other SN parents would also jump at this chance...

if i can be of any further help, please feel free to pm me.

Beginner
Beginner
Hiya I sent this today as a pm.....but new to this site so not sure if it sent........

Thank you for all the information Im going to have a good read through it all this afternoon. It all really helps me.
I was also shocked when you said that the NHS are not more supportive and offer a continue service.
I am currently on maternity leave and I really want the chance to start this next year when I am due back to work. It is all still early stages at the moment as I want to do it correctly.
I would definately offer private sessions as like you said I think it benefits each individual, but also offer small group sessions.
Thank you so much again for all your help and fingers crossed it all goes to plan which means I will hopefully meet yourself and your boys.
Take care and I will keep you informed in the future how its all going

Thanks
Natalie

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am