WikiWirral its great, register, enjoy and welcome.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,364
Posts1,033,327
Members14,584
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
9 members (3 invisible), 12,200 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Bunny, Stacey2007, PrimordialPoet, Rinchen, AGC12
14,584 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
The History of Wallasey Village
by PaulWirral - 1st Jul 2009 6:03pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
lincle 4
casper 4
Topic Replies
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:49pm
Hi to everyone
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:39pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 2:58pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 2:36pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 27 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 26 27
Wise One
Wise One

Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by cathcart
you lived well granny with the little tins of nescafe,we got camp,just adapted to the taste,big dripping butties with salt on,yummee.used to get lites and melts off the old market for the dog,butcher always gave me free slice of corned beef for my nan,great days the 50s,no matter what bert says,lol

Corneed beef and Goblin Hamburgers in a tin...they were vile.

Can't remember us having coffee at home in the 50's. I used to go on errands for my aunty to get it from the corner shop. Gosh that was scary! It was Miss Wadsworth's shop and it had a tall counter which I didn't even reach the top of .
She was like a giant and would peer over the top with her white hair whih with was yellow, not blonde..yellow. It was that very strong white hair that sat on her head like a hat.It must have been nicotine as she had matching set of teeth and fingers- and a pair of glasses like bottle ends. Timidly and with knees knocking,I would ask for what I wanted and she would shout down at me "SPEAK UP GIRL, I CAN'T HEAR YOU"... she couldn't see me either! Then she'd slam down the coffee which I stretched to reach. Two more people in the shop by this time and the place was full. Panic to get out of the door and crack my head on it as it opened inwards. In sheer relief at getting out I would start to skip home in those clumping brown lace-up school shoes made by Clarkes...... mission complete but no pennies for going!

Does anyone remember the doctor's waiting rooms in the 50's ? I am sure the patients used to smoke in them and also the doctor's in their practice rooms! It may be a foggy memory, I don't know. They were sinister places!
And the dentist's waiting room........smell the ether! Dentist's..they still fill me full of fear.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wise One
Wise One
One of my doctors used to ask if I smoked and when I admitted to it, he asked for one.

Strangely the system in those days seemed to work. One doctor, no receptionists, nurses etc and you just turned up and waited until it was your go. Can't remember if people smoked in the waiting room though.

Dentists were terrifying places and with good reason. The worst being the school butchers. That bloody awful mask they used to gas us with.

The only time we had coffee was when my mother bought some real stuff i.e. from a place like the coffee roast and she made it with milk in a pan somehow. It was very rare though. My nan always had Camp. Later on we would buy those little Nescafe sachets for about 2d each?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
At least in the old doctor waiting rooms you waited an hour and got seen, now you make an appointment and still have to wait an hour to get seen. What's that all about?
In Exmouth St there was another shop O'Kells, got reminded of it last night.
What about getting the stick at school too, hold your hand out straight to the side, "Straighen it and get your thumb out of the way" you were told and then thwack, three on each hand. The thing was not to yell or cry but it didn't half sting. Usually for next to nothing as well.

Birkenhead........ God's own Room 101.
Smartchild
Smartchild
Originally Posted by granny
Back again. Ah yes, so true, just emptied the dish washer.
We didn't have a clothes pulley but they have gone full circle and everyone wants one now. Less fortunate we were with plenty on singed clothes. By the time you smelt that distinctive smell from the area where the blazing coal fire was soaring up the chimney, it was too late, yet again!
In the winter when icicles would be inside and outside the windows. You could scratch the frost off the panes of glass and write messages like "I hate boys".
Dad would get out his parafin heaters. I am sure they must have been the cause of many a house fire they were so unstable if you knocked into one.One night in that very cold winter of 60 something,he set one up for my great aunty who was 80 yrs old and bedridden and lived a few doors away. We, as a family went off to the pictures. When we got home mum and I went t see if all was well with my aunty. Oh dear! Something had gone wrong with the thing and her whole house was black. Upstairs, downstairs and she, poor soul, was lying in bed, black. Her white hair was black her nostrils were black, everything. It took weeks to clean. She had to be shipped out to her sons and before she got back the tank in the loft burst!

oh yeah---the clothes pulley,we had one of those in the kitchen,and i have one now! would'nt be without it,gets the clothes dry just as well as a tumble dryer and you don't use up your electric like with a tumble dryer!!
ice on the windows---remember that too! had some lovely patterns didn't we!!! oh and the coal fires! got more heat from them than these gas and electric ones now! i remember the council putting central heating into our house and there was a flue at the back of the fire which mum had to clean out with a brush on a wire, and i seem to remember you had to light the fire to get hot water and for the radiators to get hot!! but we were posh--we had an immersion heater as well!lol----how easy it is now---instant hot water,gas central heating-----still get condensation on the windows tho,but no ice-----how 'did' we manage without??

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Talking about local shops and children running errands reminds me how you used to be able to go into your corner shop and buy things "loose", like asking for just one Oxo cube from a box, or just a couple of Woodbines from a pack! Mind you, if you were skint, I seem to remember some cigarettes were sold in packs as small as five in those days anyway. And funny, isn't it, how perfectly happy most shop keepers were to sell things like cigarettes to children. I'm sure that most people would agree that our stricter controls on selling products like cigarettes now, has been a change for the better.

As Helles says, you could also buy individual sachets of coffee but not so many people seemed to drink coffee at home, not like now anyhow.

Forum Master
Forum Master
used to love sundays listening to the wireless, round the horne, the jimmy clitheroe show, the hit parade 'til 7pm then aaaarghhhh
SING SOMETHING SIMPLE

cos i'm that kinda guy...
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by eggandchips
used to love sundays listening to the wireless, round the horne, the jimmy clitheroe show, the hit parade 'til 7pm then aaaarghhhh
SING SOMETHING SIMPLE

Bet you can still remember many of the songs though!

Like - "My mommy said not to put beans in my ears" raftl

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/folk-song-lyrics/Beans_in_My_Ears.htm

Forum Guide
Forum Guide
BBC Radio7 or Radio 4+ I think the names change, tuck in and enjoy or
http://goons.fabcat.org

Forum Master
Forum Master
not wrong there geekus, in fact, listening to rik stone on 7waves radio 92.1 ,sundays between 12 and 3, brings back loads of memories.

nostalgia aint what it used to be

Last edited by eggandchips; 7th Dec 2011 8:07pm.

cos i'm that kinda guy...
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
on the subject of been able to buy things loose from the shops. who remember how biscuits where sold loose from large tins. there where always a certain amount of biscuits got broken and you could go into the shop and ask for a bag of broken biscuits which where weighed and sold to you at a lot less that the full price of biscuits.
Then at the chipy as a kid you could ask for any batter and the bits of batter that had come off the fish was put in newspaper and given to you for FREE.

Ships that pass in the night, seldom seen and soon forgoten
Smartchild
Smartchild
your all making me jealous, my childhood was the 80's i can remember the golden goose, were the mad building is now opposite the chelsea.

i used to also catch weavers out of the old marine lake were only stones remain, there was a little pipe that they used to come out of and we would catch them with crabbing line

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Originally Posted by jimbob

Then at the chipy as a kid you could ask for any batter and the bits of batter that had come off the fish was put in newspaper and given to you for FREE.

Ah, yes, batter bits. Used to get them with my 2d. worth of chips at the chippy on Church Rd. near the top of Downham Rd. on my way back from choir practice at St. Cath's.

Carpe diem.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Sorry to butt in but we couldn't do this in the 50's and 60's. Just unbelievable really.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Ear...;ew=West&alt=985&img=learth.evif

Now we can go all around the world in our armchairs.

"Continue" as the teachers used to say.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Smartchild
Smartchild
Originally Posted by jimbob
on the subject of been able to buy things loose from the shops. who remember how biscuits where sold loose from large tins. there where always a certain amount of biscuits got broken and you could go into the shop and ask for a bag of broken biscuits which where weighed and sold to you at a lot less that the full price of biscuits.

broken biscuits----i remember them in big tins, or did the tins look big cos i was small!! and chips were 6d a portion
back then a chippy tea was a cheap meal, i bought chips yesterday and they were £1.10p! incase the younger ones don't know 6d is 2/1/2p now!
and your chips were wrapped in newspaper, we used to take our old newspapers to the chippy.
who remembers taking the pop bottles back to the shop and getting 3d back on them?
in years to come what will the kids of today reminise about! unemployment,riots,drinking in the parks,hanging around street corners?????

Page 10 of 27 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 26 27

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
News : New Topics
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
Car paint jobs
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,621 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,968 Spotted!