A HOTEL had to be evacuated after a guest’s cigarette set fire to his bedroom.
Eleven people where forced out of their hotel rooms at Dunsandles, a Victorian hotel in Rowson Street, New Brighton, at 2.15am today.
Fire crews from Wallasey arrived shortly after and sent men in with breathing apparatus to extinguish flames.
Proprietor Alan Johnson, who has run the boutique hotel for eight years, said: “We had a small fire in one of the bedrooms after a guest accidentally set fire to something with a cigarette.
“All our systems worked fine, the fire alarm went off and we got everybody out.
“We are still open for business but we are going to have to seal up that room for a few days while we air it out and replace the soft furnishings.
“It was more smoke than flames.” Source