Welcome to WikiWirral, sharing is what we do best.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,360
Posts1,033,313
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (3 invisible), 9,897 guests, and 453 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:09am
Wirral waters
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:07am
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by hootmeil - 4th Apr 2024 1:15pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#572834 31st Aug 2011 9:44am
detsi Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Reflecting on yesterday's reports. How are our children expected to buy their own home? This is now a privilege for the wealthy or the children of the wealthy. Both my sons are in well paid jobs but both are also living in rented accommodation, making it almost impossible for them to save for a deposit. They both left Uni. with the usual amount of debt which increases the difficulty of saving. I was always a Labour voter but I will never forgive them for sitting back to watch the price of property escalate to a level that made only the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Why can't this country adopt a similar system as many European countries where living in rented accommodation is not a stigma but the norm. Their governments own the property and consequently receive the rent, not as it is here where often the property is own by foreign landlords. A lot of the rented properties on the Continent are quite luxurious and the rent includes Broadband and gas, electric. water rates etc. Families are able to upsize and downsize, depending on their situations and it is more convenient for people to be flexible with where they work. If things remain the same in this country, the future generations will be living in a divided society of the haves and have nots because the haves will get their inheritances and the have nots will have nothing.

Last edited by detsi; 31st Aug 2011 9:52am.

Clones are people two !
Google Ads
detsi #572836 31st Aug 2011 10:05am
N
Nobody
Unregistered
Nobody
Unregistered
N
Firstly, think yourself lucky you and your children don't live in London. The North/South divide is no longer just a divide, it's a massive gap.

Home ownership is going to slump to not much more than around 60% if you believe the reports, so you and your kids are not alone in that respect either. It's not been that low since the mid 80's.

You can't just go on blaming the Labour government either, they're not solely responsible for the mess of the last few years. Greedy people are.

I'm not just talking 'greedy bankers' as people just love to jump on them. Look at the 'have nots' as you put it... these people have for years believed that they are 'should haves' because others have. Well it doesn't quite work like that.

So because these people have been borrowing to the hilt for their PS3's and their widescreen TV's and the cars that they can't afford (instead of saving like a normal person) the lending criteria across the board is now so strict that people just cannot get the loans without huge deposits - which in itself is a vicious circle.

I read somewhere that the average age that offspring move out of their parents place is now 33, I can't back that up though as I can't find the stats.

Interest only mortgages are pointless at the moment as you may as well rent. I'm seeing a lot of my clients ploughing money into cheap houses that people are desperate to get rid of knowing that there's always going to be people needing to rent.

Also remember that the banks don't actually have the money to lend in most cases, it has to be reserved for their best customers as their supply isn't endless either.

I'm enjoying the fact that houses can now be picked up for buttons, that people are desperate to sell and can't find buyers. It works in my favour.

detsi #572845 31st Aug 2011 10:17am
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Completely agree with you Detsi. My mum and dad have just had to put their house on the market as it's a 5 bedroomed house and now only the two of them live there. After being valued they've been told it's now worth about 50 grand less than it would have been say a year or two ago, and if it sells (which is a big IF in the current climate!) they will more than likely have to rent due to not making enough to be able to buy again, or (best case scenario) have to use the money left over after paying what's left of the current mortgage to make up a deposit and take out a new mortgage.
They're retired, and honestly thought that they would be able to sell the house and simply downgrade to a smaller house without needing to worry about renting or taking out another mortgage, and it's a shame because if they had decided to sell a few years ago they might have been able to. If a 50-odd year old couple who have paid a mortgage for years and years are having to essentialy go back to square one what hope have the younger generation got of even getting on the property ladder!?
I looked at getting a "part equity" mortgage a few years back, where you basically pay half mortgage and half rent each month with the option to "upgrade" to paying full mortgage over the time. (can't remember what the correct term for that is? I'm sure someone will correct me!) This seemed the best option to get on the property ladder in my situation at the time, but even with doing that I was still looking at stumping up a 5 grand deposit. Doesn't sound like a lot, but as you said when you're paying rent as well who can afford to save up an amount like that?

detsi #572850 31st Aug 2011 10:20am
Newbeee
Newbeee

#572862 31st Aug 2011 10:28am
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nobody

Also remember that the banks don't actually have the money to lend in most cases, it has to be reserved for their best customers as their supply isn't endless either.

Ain't that the truth. Having worked in finance for over 4 years (for my sins!) I've gone through income and expenditures with customers who clearly can't afford to take out further finance, only to be approved for a loan which is more than they originally applied for, with higher repayments! Justified by a good banking history with the bank, oh and a higher, "at risk" APR, I might add

detsi #572870 31st Aug 2011 10:33am
detsi Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Hi, Nobody,

You make some very good points. I agree entirely with you regarding greedy people.

Hi, Gemgem87

I expect your situation is typical of many. I sympathise.

Clones are people two !
gemgem87 #572879 31st Aug 2011 10:43am
N
Nobody
Unregistered
Nobody
Unregistered
N
Originally Posted by gemgem87
Having worked in finance for over 4 years (for my sins!) I've gone through income and expenditures with customers who clearly can't afford to take out further finance, only to be approved for a loan which is more than they originally applied for, with higher repayments! Justified by a good banking history with the bank, oh and a higher, "at risk" APR, I might add

A great summary of what exactly has been going wrong.

detsi #572902 31st Aug 2011 11:47am
Forum Master
Forum Master
I hate people who spend money they don't have on unnecessary stuff...

Cue one of the oldies 'Back in my day if you couldn't afford it you did without'

detsi #572907 31st Aug 2011 12:05pm
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Nah,back in my day we had H.P.(Hire purchase)to you youngsters.Ha Ha.

detsi #572930 31st Aug 2011 12:59pm
detsi Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Originally Posted by detsi
Hi, Nobody,

I agree entirely with you regarding greedy people.

The price of property rocketed when thousands of people jumped on the band wagon and upped their selling prices to unrealistic prices.
I know of someone who moved three times in two years. They made a fortune and some might say "good on them". But it was this kind of thing that put the cost of houses where it is today.

Clones are people two !
detsi #572943 31st Aug 2011 1:49pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
The housing market has been used as a get rich quick scheme by some, which is what it was. I lost a load on selling my place to move back here but we looked on it as being just a house for a house, so we lost on paper but not in facility. If people look on having a house as just an investment and try to keep getting bigger and bigger mansions then it is going to cause problems and it did. A house is somewhere to live not necessarily the road to a fortune. At the end of the day it is all about market forces and if people got places they couldn't afford then they are at fault not anyone else. To go into property you have to sort your head out first to get what you need not what you desire. Some people made a lot of money then lost it by over buying but if you have a house to live then you are basically ok and shouldn't worry. In Germany there is no stigma to renting, that is just a Brit invented thing (materialistics again). But even where houses are rented out then someone is making loads out of it. Market forces again.

Birkenhead........ God's own Room 101.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by polo_phil
I hate people who spend money they don't have on unnecessary stuff...

Cue one of the oldies 'Back in my day if you couldn't afford it you did without'

I remember speaking to a girl who told me she HAD to spend £200 every weekend to buy new clothes, get her hair done and to go out, and asked me to put it down as housekeeping and contingency!! I was like, hmmmmm, maybe if you just saved up for a few weeks you wouldn't actually need this £1000 loan?? At the time I didn't even have £200 a MONTH spare, let alone every weekend!
Off topic I know, but it just came back to me reading your comment!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
The housing market has been used as a get rich quick scheme by some, which is what it was. I lost a load on selling my place to move back here but we looked on it as being just a house for a house, so we lost on paper but not in facility. If people look on having a house as just an investment and try to keep getting bigger and bigger mansions then it is going to cause problems and it did. A house is somewhere to live not necessarily the road to a fortune. At the end of the day it is all about market forces and if people got places they couldn't afford then they are at fault not anyone else. To go into property you have to sort your head out first to get what you need not what you desire. Some people made a lot of money then lost it by over buying but if you have a house to live then you are basically ok and shouldn't worry. In Germany there is no stigma to renting, that is just a Brit invented thing (materialistics again). But even where houses are rented out then someone is making loads out of it. Market forces again.

I don't know so much about it being a stigma to rent, from my perspective I just think it's pouring money into something and not seeing anything at the end of it. It's just dead money. I would rather pay £500 a month into a property which I can build up to be my home, decorate it as I want, be able to get pets if I wanted to and maybe even be able to pass on to my family when the time comes. There's nothing wrong with renting, but it's frustrating to have to do so when you don't necessarily want to.

detsi #573013 31st Aug 2011 6:38pm
detsi Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
I believe that renting is, unfortunately, stigmatised by some people. It falls in the same category as living on a counsel estate, there is nothing wrong with it and plenty of decent, respectable people do it. But society, being what it is, forces people into thinking that they are better off owning a battered old slum than renting a very pleasant semi from the counsel. I think the term is 'snobbishness'

Clones are people two !
detsi #573034 31st Aug 2011 7:19pm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
House prices have been and still are at silly levels, i feel sad for young people who are looking to buy their first home. Renting is also linked to the price that the house owner needs to get to have a return on the money they have invested in the property.

When i bought my first house it was three time's what i earned which governed what i could buy, but then most people where in the same boat and this was reflected in the asking prices of property.
My father was allowed 1.5 times what he earned for a mortgage, once again this governed what he could buy, (although this was many years ago now)

My own take on it rightly or wrongly, by my own observation is that when i was looking for a house most couples only took one wage into account when thinking about how much they had to spend on a house, higher house prices where serviced by both couples staying at work even after having kids, so house prices carried on rising until they met the amount that could reasonably be paid for by two full time incomes, this of course meant that a single person had no hope of buying or for that matter renting somewhere at an affordable price !.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 8:57pm
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,118 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,115 Spotted!