Welcome to WikiWirral, sharing is what we do best.
Forum Stats
12137 Members
65 Forums
72394 Topics
976144 Posts
33 posts in the last 24hrs
Max Online: 7831 @ 8th Apr 2013 4:18pm
Who's Online - Click Me
92 registered (11kendo, 11 invisible), 1501 Guests and 209 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Social Media : Follow Us

(Views 7days)This Weeks Most Read
Vet help 534
Another Big Waste Fire in Liverpool. 500
Name help 446
Talk Talk Security Breach 374
Another tree down on Arrowe park Road? 270
Anyone Read Chinese Writing 245
Mobile mechanic needed to fit a wishbone 231
That was kept a bit quiet? 218
RIP Peter Vaughan 169
MIG welder 145
New General Forums
Lib/dems rule the day
by JimmyG
2nd Dec 2016 10:59pm
Daft funny joke
by venice
2nd Dec 2016 5:54pm
We dont learn much.
by venice
1st Dec 2016 9:22pm
Freegle
by venice
1st Dec 2016 6:36pm
New Wirral History
Name help
by Paternoster21
3rd Dec 2016 8:03am
HMT Lancastria
by granny
2nd Dec 2016 11:38pm
Cubitts Holland and Hannen
by fish5133
27th Nov 2016 5:38pm
Fire station
by chris7777
22nd Nov 2016 12:24pm
Buy a house in Greasby for 12s a week - in 1935
by yoller
6th Oct 2016 6:56pm
Forum Tips
Photo Gallery Forums
fireworks on the Mersey last night
Hadlow train station
Topic Replies
Anyone Read Chinese Writing
by Tranquil
Today at 01:44 AM
Talk Talk Security Breach
by eddtheduck
Yesterday at 10:46 PM
HMT Lancastria
by venice
Yesterday at 02:59 PM
Geert Wilders
by fish5133
Yesterday at 02:44 PM
Royal Mail Online Postal Prices
by fish5133
Yesterday at 02:32 PM
Blank Page : Offline
by Mark
Yesterday at 08:08 AM
Vet help
by venice
8th Dec 2016 9:57pm
Micro desktop PC
by anniebo28
8th Dec 2016 2:24pm
RIP Peter Vaughan
by Gibbo
8th Dec 2016 10:56am
December
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Recent Posts : What's On ?
Wirral TUC Meeting re Update on Wallasey CLP Suspe
by RUDEBOX
30th Nov 2016 9:16pm
World Aids Day Event 2016. Liverpool
by RUDEBOX
30th Nov 2016 9:05pm
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#555561 - 3rd Aug 2011 1:50pm Breaking News: Wirral Hospitals Chief Resigns
MissGuided Offline

Awesome
Wiki Guardian

Loc: Back of the wardrobe
THE beleaguered chief executive of Wirral Hospital Trust resigned today.

Len Richards' management of hospital services had been subjected to a barrage of recent criticism from MPs, consultants and staff.

Last night, a public meeting heard further attacks on his leadership and it emerged industrial action would be considered unless changes were made.

A statement from Trust chairman Michael Carr said a combination of "recent events" and an invitation from NHS Northwest for Mr Richards to take up a leading role within its organistation led to his decision.

The statement said: "While it is with regret that we will be losing such an excellent chief executive, it is only fitting that the NHS continues to benefit from not only his leadership, but also his unequivocal commitment to improving the care delivered by the NHS.

"The departure of the chief executive is always a challenging time for any Trust...

"I am sure that everyone will see that it is important that we work together as an organisation to continue to provide and develop our services over the coming months, while the process to appoint a suitable replacement takes its course."

Mr Carr continued: "These are anyway very challenging times, but I am confident that, by working together as an organisation and with our partners, we will continue to provide the excellent patient care that we are all committed to."

Gary Doherty, Mr Richard's deputy and Trust chief operating officer, has agreed to undertake the role of acting chief executive.

Earlier this month senior doctors at Wirral Hospital Trust, which runs Arrowe Park and Clatterbridge hospitals, passed a vote of no-confidence in Mr Richards.

The decision was reached after a ballot and followed a series of controversial moves by the Trust including changing Clatterbridge into a day-case centre only and proposed plans for cardio-vascular surgery to be merged with the Countess of Chester Hospital.

Wirral South MP Alison McGovern said: “I wish Len Richards the best for his future.

“The absolute priority for patients and staff in Wirral now has to be to put in place an immediate action plan to tackle staff morale and underlying problems.

"I will be listening to my constituents, staff and representatives.”

Mr Richards, who was appointed five years ago, will leave on August 22, to head the Quality, Innovative, Productivity and Prevention Programme, which has the aim of ensuring that "each pound spent is used to bring maximum benefit and quality of care to patients."

Len Richards' management of hospital services had been subjected to a barrage of recent criticism from MPs, consultants and staff.

Last night, a public meeting heard further attacks on his leadership and it emerged industrial action would be considered unless changes were made.

A statement from Trust chairman Michael Carr said a combination of "recent events" and an invitation from NHS Northwest for Mr Richards to take up a leading role within its organistation led to his decision.

The statement said: "While it is with regret that we will be losing such an excellent chief executive, it is only fitting that the NHS continues to benefit from not only his leadership, but also his unequivocal commitment to improving the care delivered by the NHS.

"The departure of the chief executive is always a challenging time for any Trust...

"I am sure that everyone will see that it is important that we work together as an organisation to continue to provide and develop our services over the coming months, while the process to appoint a suitable replacement takes its course."

Mr Carr continued: "These are anyway very challenging times, but I am confident that, by working together as an organisation and with our partners, we will continue to provide the excellent patient care that we are all committed to."

Gary Doherty, Mr Richard's deputy and Trust chief operating officer, has agreed to undertake the role of acting chief executive.

Earlier this month senior doctors at Wirral Hospital Trust, which runs Arrowe Park and Clatterbridge hospitals, passed a vote of no-confidence in Mr Richards.

The decision was reached after a ballot and followed a series of controversial moves by the Trust including changing Clatterbridge into a day-case centre only and proposed plans for cardio-vascular surgery to be merged with the Countess of Chester Hospital.

Wirral South MP Alison McGovern said: “I wish Len Richards the best for his future.

“The absolute priority for patients and staff in Wirral now has to be to put in place an immediate action plan to tackle staff morale and underlying problems.

Mr Richards, who was appointed five years ago, will leave on August 22, to head the Quality, Innovative, Productivity and Prevention Programme, which has the aim of ensuring that "each pound spent is used to bring maximum benefit and quality of care to patients."

Source

Local News : Advertising
Click me for more Information......

WikiWirral Numbers : Between 150 and 200 New Members Every Month. With Over 3,500 unique visits and 35,000 Page Views each day. Average +500 Search Engines Daily and over 1,000,000 Million Page views a Month. Advertising from £20 . Click Me
#555572 - 3rd Aug 2011 2:00pm Re: Breaking News: Wirral Hospitals Chief Resigns [Re: MissGuided]
BandyCoot Online   Reading

Forum Veteran

Loc: Birkenhead
So he is going from one well paid job which he has cocked up, to another well paid job which he will probably cock up. Why can't inefficient bosses just be sacked the same as they do to the plebs? I suppose it saves him going for a million squid payoff as well.

#555576 - 3rd Aug 2011 2:05pm Re: Breaking News: Wirral Hospitals Chief Resigns [Re: BandyCoot]
MissGuided Offline

Awesome
Wiki Guardian

Originally Posted By: BandyCoot
So he is going from one well paid job which he has cocked up, to another well paid job which he will probably cock up. Why can't inefficient bosses just be sacked the same as they do to the plebs? I suppose it saves him going for a million squid payoff as well.
Its sickening isn't it?

#555596 - 3rd Aug 2011 2:54pm Re: Breaking News: Wirral Hospitals Chief Resigns [Re: MissGuided]
Pinzgauer
Unregistered

Can anyone explain to me (a simple soul) in a couple of words WHAT a Chief Executive in the NHS actually does for their obscene salary ?

Am I right in assuming that the second of the two words is "all" ?

Edited by Pinzgauer (3rd Aug 2011 2:55pm)

#555600 - 3rd Aug 2011 3:03pm Re: Breaking News: Wirral Hospitals Chief Resigns [Re: ]
bert1 Offline

Wiki Veteran

Loc: tranmere
Originally Posted By: Pinzgauer
Can anyone explain to me (a simple soul) in a couple of words WHAT a Chief Executive in the NHS actually does for their obscene salary ?

Could be fook or sod, I'll go with fook, am i right sir, sir sir sir am i right.
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.

#555602 - 3rd Aug 2011 3:04pm Re: Breaking News: Wirral Hospitals Chief Resigns [Re: MissGuided]
Pinzgauer
Unregistered

Well done !! Have a Grand Piano !

#555689 - 3rd Aug 2011 6:42pm Re: Breaking News: Wirral Hospitals Chief Resigns [Re: MissGuided]
CVCVCV Offline
Forum Addict

Loc: ex Wallasey now Atlanta GA USA
I think we used to call this "being kicked upstairs"?
Clearly, the NHS has never heard of "The Peter Principle"..!

#556011 - 4th Aug 2011 11:30am Re: Breaking News: Wirral Hospitals Chief Resigns [Re: ]
Nobody
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Pinzgauer

I'm sorry, but there aren't just a few words to sum up what the Chief Exec does. He is paid so well because the buck rests with him. Please remember how he is responsible for every member of staff under him and the magic words I've always remembered...

"You can delegate authority but not responsibility"

If those below you don't do as they are told and a monumental cock up occurs, who is forced to resign? Sure the manager who made the cock up may go but it won't make the News, the cock up might though! Who has their name dragged through the dirt!? Yep, the man with ultimate responsibility.

The Chief Executive has responsibility for establishing the Hospital Trust as an organisation, providing clear vision and strategic direction, overall performance of the executive functions of the trust, achieving value for money from the resources available to the trust, using to best effect the funds available to meet the needs of patients and staff etc.

But it's not an easy job and it's not something you just fire your CV across for and get an interview. He'll have worked for years to get to where he is, successfully worked I might add, they won't just employ any muppet.

He's still a man who no doubt has a family and house to run, and are we certain the mistakes made have come directly from him?

Nope - generally the CEO goes down with their ship.

Edited by Nobody (4th Aug 2011 11:32am)

#556317 - 4th Aug 2011 7:48pm Re: Breaking News: Wirral Hospitals Chief Resigns [Re: MissGuided]
Katryn Offline
Smartchild

Originally Posted By: MissGuided

Source

What's his job role?

#556348 - 4th Aug 2011 8:44pm Re: Breaking News: Wirral Hospitals Chief Resigns [Re: Katryn]
StuyMac Online   content

Wiki Master

Loc: Wirralshire
Originally Posted By: Kathryn

What's his job role?

Its in the first line of the text you quoted.

smack

What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?

#556496 - 5th Aug 2011 12:14am Re: Breaking News: Wirral Hospitals Chief Resigns [Re: StuyMac]
Katryn Offline
Smartchild

Originally Posted By: StuyMac
Originally Posted By: Kathryn

What's his job role?

Its in the first line of the text you quoted.

smack
blush blush

#556566 - 5th Aug 2011 9:31am Re: Breaking News: Wirral Hospitals Chief Resigns [Re: MissGuided]
Nobody
Unregistered

Oh, and his new job role is to head the Quality, Innovative, Productivity and Prevention Programme, which has the aim of ensuring that "each pound spent is used to bring maximum benefit and quality of care to patients."

#556571 - 5th Aug 2011 9:50am Re: Breaking News: Wirral Hospitals Chief Resigns [Re: MissGuided]
MissGuided Offline

Awesome
Wiki Guardian

All this, while still looking like a bus driver.

Used to do my head in when his coven would come to the ed centre and have their little meeting in front of the graphs on the wall (waiting times, c. diff levels etc) on the main landing.

They'd stand in a circle that stretched across the 15ft width of the space. If you tried coming through with a tray of tea in your hand, not one of them would move out the way.

Several times I interrupted their 'meeting' shouting 'Excuse me please!'

#556747 - 5th Aug 2011 1:43pm Re: Breaking News: Wirral Hospitals Chief Resigns [Re: CVCVCV]
BandyCoot Online   Reading

Forum Veteran

Originally Posted By: CVCVCV
I think we used to call this "being kicked upstairs"?
Clearly, the NHS has never heard of "The Peter Principle"..!

They may not have heard of it but they certainly practice it. The "Peter Principle" is where people get promoted above their level of competence to get them out of the way and stop stuffing the job, just in case anyone is wondering.

Moderator:  Mod 
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Anyone Read Chinese Writing
by Tranquil
Yesterday at 03:47 PM
Talk Talk Security Breach
by fish5133
7th Dec 2016 6:19pm
Mobile mechanic needed to fit a wishbone
by anniebo28