WikiWirral is where great friendships are made.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,926 guests, and 465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#555515 3rd Aug 2011 11:47am
Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
Hi. Am new to the site, and want to say how nice it is to be here.

My opening topic for the forum is job rejection, as this problem is currently blighting my life no end. I am absolutely FED UP with sending off CV after CV to various employers, and rarely hearing anything back. When I do, is is the same old depressing job rejection. And I am SICK TO DEATH of these huge retail chains forcing you to sit these RIDICULOUS online psychometric tests, which even Krypton Factor contestant would have difficulty passing! The job situation in this area now stinks.

I was just wondering if any other Wirral people are experiencing the same soul-destroying problem of incessant job rejection. If so, how do you deal with it, and how do you stay positive in the face of such ineffable misery?

A Depressed Job Hunter
Birkenhea

Google Ads
Old Hand
Old Hand
Staying strong in the face of rejection is hard, there are no two ways about it. But you beat them every time you say "Oh well" and move on to something else. Everyones future is out there, waiting to be lived, and every rejection is just bringing you closer to your letter of acceptance and invitation for interview.

Its just a matter of time, but all things in life will play out as intended. Its tough to keep pushing on, but as I say, every day rejected is another day closer to your next job. Just keep on pushin' smile

Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
Hi danoh

Thank you very much for your advice regarding my depressing job search. You made some good points there, which I will certainly take on board.

I think it is quite disgusting the way the unemployment situation is now, especially on the Wirral. I mean, it's an achievement now even getting an interview, let alone an acceptance! And these employers certainly aren't helping the situation either by adopting these ridiculous psychometric tests - esp the retail chains - just to work on a check out! If there were not so many people jobless, they could not afford to be so choosy.

I have 25 years of good, solid admin and customer service experience, yet I can't get a job anywhere. To be quite honest, I have become really fed up with living on the Wirral, as it is one of the worst areas in the world for jobs, next to Liverpool. You just feel as if you are getting nowhere. It is very, very soul destroying and depressing.

Still, as you suggested, one must keep soldiering on in the hope that one day, something will eventually turn up.

Smartchild
Smartchild
The amount of rejections I have faced since being told I would be made redundant is HUGE. At the same time, my partner who already had a job, applied for something else and got it. Very frustrating and soul destroying.

I have applied for roles similar to those I have had, as well as other roles just to earn some pennies. It's been completely depressing and I feel completely empty and useless and constantly down.

But yesterday I realised that there is so much I have to offer and just because no employers have yet to realise that, it doesn't mean that I am not good enough for the job. It just happens that at the moment the competition for jobs is HUGE!!

Keep positive, you are NOT alone and don't take those negative feelings with you to interviews, and even try and stay positive with each application.

If you need a hand with a CV review, see my other post I would be happy to help.

Keep applying, keep jumping through psychometric hoops and eventually you WILL find work.

Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
Thanks, Sallybear, some good advice there. I will certainly take it all on board, and keep battling resolutely against the job rejection storm.

N
Nobody
Unregistered
Nobody
Unregistered
N
There's always jobs going in The Contact Company, Birkenhead.

The Employment Emporium
390/392 Chester Road
Little Sutton
Cheshire
CH66 3RA
Tel: 0151 347 1110
Fax: 0151 348 0220
Contact name: Mark Ward
Email: [email protected]

Old Hand
Old Hand
The problem at the moment (which I have researched quite a lot as I've recently setup my own business here) is that the area is in stagnation, lots of big plans, but sadly big plans take their time to come to fruition. I actually moved up here from Chelmsford in Essex, and the situation isn't much better down there either, its not just Wirral.

However, according to a number of reports I've read, Merseyside as a whole (being a government enterprise zone as declared in the last budget) is actually on the edge of a massive regeneration and is tipped as the "London Of The North", Peel (who seem to own Merseyside as a whole) have an excellent history for doing exactly what they promise - so in theory the Wirral Waters project should start to kick off next year, and begin to show a turnaround in fortunes for local people.

I'm working in a "luxury" industry (Car & Motorbike Tuning) and its very tough at present, but everyone is in the same boat I think. The world as a whole is in a bit of a slump.

The best thing is just to chin up, move on - stay focused, letting it get to you is going to show in everything you do, whereas if you can remain positive in the face of this current adversity, your resolve and strength of character will grow on a daily basis - you WILL get there in the end smile

Addict
Addict
I couldn't agree more. The North West is absolutely atrocious for job seeking, particularly on the Wirral.
If you look at big national companies, for example B & Q, do a job search and you will find masses of stuff all over the UK, until you go to Merseyside/Wirral when you will usually find Zero !!
I have applied for about 10 jobs on the Wirral in the last couple of months, mainly with supermarket chains, the ONLY reply I have had is from Morrisons which was a thanks but no thanks.
I have 25+ years experience as an IT Manager and a degree, but I am finding it impossible to even get an interview for any kind of job here on the Wirral.
As the other guys/gals have already said you must count each rejection as a step towards success. It does wear you down though. Chin up, smile for the camera !!!

Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
Hi Kenmo. Thanks for your reply. Very sorry to hear of your own unfortunate experiences in job hunting. Hope things pick up for you soon.

I could not agree more with you about the dire employment prospects on the Wirral. They are the worst in the country. As I said, I have often thought of relocating to a better area, but the question is where to go?

I've heard that Leeds is good for office jobs, but with the recession, I don't know if that's still the case. Of course, if I did relocate, the problem of finding accommodation would arise. Catch 22.

H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
I know the feeling. What I want to know is, what the fook do they all do with my stamps that I put on the SAE's to make it easier for them to reply!?! mad

I'm getting annoyed with being told I'm "over qualified" for a legal secretary post because I have a Law qualification. It makes more sense to me to have someone who knows what they will be typing, as one wrong word or typo can mean the difference between winning and losing a case. I had one place admit that they didn't offer me the post because I was better qualified than the Practice Manager (on paper) and it was seen as a threat.

I didn't want HER job, I wanted the secretary vacancy!! I could have started there and then FFS!

I'm thinking of playing the system now (something I don't like) and declaring my disablility just to get to interview with some of the big companies.

I do a lot of voluntary work so that my CV has recent additions even though I've not been "working" since I was made redundant. It's a great use of my time, I meet some amazing people and I get to make a difference with people I care about. I've just applied to volunteer with something that is heaven for me, so fingers crossed I get accepted. You'll all hear the whoops and screams if I do raftl I also do book reviews & proof reading for the main publishing houses. I can't keep up sometimes but it's great for a bookworm like me laugh First Edition copies of fantastic books is the best payment I could have for that kind of work.

Don't let them get you down, the right job for you will come along eventually as it will for all of us.

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Smartchild
Smartchild
Originally Posted by Jobneeded67
Hi. Am new to the site, and want to say how nice it is to be here.

My opening topic for the forum is job rejection, as this problem is currently blighting my life no end. I am absolutely FED UP with sending off CV after CV to various employers, and rarely hearing anything back. When I do, is is the same old depressing job rejection. And I am SICK TO DEATH of these huge retail chains forcing you to sit these RIDICULOUS online psychometric tests, which even Krypton Factor contestant would have difficulty passing! The job situation in this area now stinks.

I was just wondering if any other Wirral people are experiencing the same soul-destroying problem of incessant job rejection. If so, how do you deal with it, and how do you stay positive in the face of such ineffable misery?

A Depressed Job Hunter
Birkenhea

why not do lots of copies of cv's
dress smart and go to prospective employers..ask for the manager/ personel officer and hand them your cv.
quite a few people i know have got jobs that way over the years, shows your interested and determined enough to go out there rather than just sending cv's in the post, which sometimes just get put aside and forgotten about...

good luck

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am