Welcome to WikiWirral, sharing is what we do best.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
9 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 8,070 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_

NEW laws that make the display of tobacco in shops illegal will be expensive to enforce and run the risk of driving smaller retailers in Wirral out of business.

The legislation announced today - national No Smoking Day - will come into force for large stores in April next year and smaller shops in 2015.

The Government says it is designed to reduce the number of young people who start smoking.

Under the regulations only temporary displays in "certain limited circumstances" will be allowed.

The changes are being phased-in "to minimise the impact on businesses", according to a statement from the Department of Health.

But a survey of tobacconists by the Globe paints a different picture of local traders deeply concerned the no-display rule will drive some of them out of business.

Sukharj Kullar, assistant manager of Lifestyle Newsagents and Off-License in Birkenhead, fears the long-term effects could be devastating for smaller shops.

He said: “It’s going to cause a lot of trouble. A lot of small, independent traders like ours will go out of business because of the cost of storage.

“We’ve already spent a lot of money on redesigning the layout of the shop and have been told that we now have to put all our cigarettes under the counter.

“I’ve got nine shelves of cigarettes on display now, which all have got to go under the counter. This could cost us thousands.“

Lisa Mayler, manager of Cosmic News in West Kirby, said: “We sell a lot of cigarettes and I think probably still will once the law comes into force.

“We’ve got a cabinet that we have been told has to be used to store cigarettes. This has to have a door on that is closed, so the cigarettes can’t be seen by the public. This also has to locked at all times.

“The problem with that is if you’re having to turn your back on customers to unlock the cabinet, it means you take your eye off what’s going on in the shop."

Imam Salam, owner of Argyle News in Birkenhead, said: “If people want them they will go and buy them, regardless of whether they are not on display in the shop.

“What does concern me is that if you’re ducking down to cigarettes from under the counter, you might miss shoplifters helping themselves to your stock.”

A Wirral-based tobacco supplier, who asked not to be named, said the new law could push business from the supermarkets to the smaller shops.

It could also lead to an increase in sales of illegal tobacco.

Health Secretary Andrew Lansley published "Healthy Lives, Healthy People: A Tobacco Control Plan for England" to coincide with today's national No Smoking Day.

Fiona Johnstone, director of public health for NHS Wirral and Wirral Council, said: “It is good news that the Government has decided to press ahead with legislation which will start to see displays of tobacco for sale disappear.

“They are just another form of advertising to encourage people to buy cigarettes and young people to start smoking.”

According to NHS Wirral, approximately 900 deaths per year in the borough are directly attributed to smoking.

Big Brother Watch, a civil liberties campaign group, hit out at the plans.

A spokesman said: "The Government likes to talk about freedom - how about respecting the rights of smokers? Under Andrew Lansley, the nanny state is alive and well."

THE GLOBE

Google Ads
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Why dont they just ban the god damb things. Oh I know, its because of duty.

Uncertainty or not knowing causes depression, Im happy because I know I'm going to die one day!
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
What a load of bo!!ocks! Just because they're not in plain sight won't make a blind bit of difference. Smack isn't advertised or in the shops but fcuktards still buy it!!

As for banning them. Not really an option. The amount of revenue lost on the sales would push taxes and national insurance up. People moan enough already about the amount of tax and NI they have to pay.

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Agree with you wench! If someone wants something they'll buy it, just because they're not the 1st thing see won't make a difference!

Smartchild
Smartchild
Originally Posted by _jase_
A spokesman said: "The Government likes to talk about freedom - how about respecting the rights of smokers

How about respecting the rights of non-smokers to not be forced to breathe other people's second-hand smoke? Roll on the day when ALL smoking in public (even outdoors) is banned.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I remember a great truth being aired on the old comedy "Yes Minister"

Something along the lines of - the revenue made in the sale of cigerettes exceeds the money spent on smoking related illnesses.

Not sure if this is still the case, but it wouldnt surprise me....

Originally Posted by MikeT
Roll on the day when ALL smoking in public (even outdoors) is banned.

Indeed, and why not ban drinking alcahol and smokey buses whilst they are at it.... Ban smoking in public, and there are a hell of a lot more things that would need banning too.

What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
The truth of the matter is most people don't give a damn if someone dies of a smoke related disease, apart from a few health professionals maybe, the majority of non smokers kick up a fuss because they don't like the smell, lets be honest about it and stop hiding behind, your concerned about my health, in fact there is no concrete evidence that second hand smoke is a real danger to be concerned about, recent reports suggest that the children of this country are the unhealthiest they have ever been, and that includes times when nearly everyone smoked. The present day laws are more than adequate to protect none smokers from the smells and any health issues, if they do exist. The rights of people should be upheld and a certain section of society should not be witch hunted just because other don't approve. I hate the smell of alcohol and garlic, does that give me the right to have it banned, i wouldn't dream of it.
As far as removing cigs out of sight, whats next, alcohol, cream cakes, anything with cholesterol in it, sugar, salt, climbing up mountains equipment (thats dangerous), the list is endless.

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.
Wiki Guide
Wiki Guide
[quote=_jase_]Roll on the day when ALL smoking in public (even outdoors) is banned.

Why? Isn't that a tiny bit reactionary?

"C20 LET bang"
Forum Master
Forum Master
Certain Newsagents have been selling tobacco from under the counter for years, so this will make no difference at all smile

Look at it for a moment, if you smoke you know where to buy it, just because it's not on display doesn't mean that people will be going into Sayers and asking for 20 B&H in case they have it behind the counter, so what difference is this going to make at all.

I might go into a shop and look at some of the displays which might (just might) make me want to try their product instead of my usual, but I don't smoke so when I go into a shop I don't even "see" the cigarettes, I have no idea on the packet designs and couldn't care less how much they cost, so it doesn't matter where they are.

Who remembers the fantastic John Player Special (JPS) Black with Gold writing F1 car, it just looked so different to everything else, didn't make me want to smoke them though, just more fuss about something that will make no difference to anything.

Forum Master
Forum Master
It used to make me wonder when you went to the cinema one side was smoking & the other side none smoking seemed pointless to me & I was a smoker at the time.If people want to smoke they will get there fags from the usual places theres always going to be kids who want to try it, I started when I was 12. The government will never ban it theyd lose to much revenue.

no1s gonna keep me from u
Wise One
Wise One
Originally Posted by _jase_
A spokesman said: "The Government likes to talk about freedom - how about respecting the rights of smokers

How about respecting the rights of non-smokers to not be forced to breathe other people's second-hand smoke? Roll on the day when ALL smoking in public (even outdoors) is banned.

Or how about respecting MY right to inhale a load of tobacco into my lungs and let it be my choice, already banned from smoking in pubs and clubs . . . why??? People always have known them to be smokey enviroments so why enter somewhere if you dont like it? I dont.

I dont like the smell of fish in supermarkets or birkenhead market so can we please ban fishing, oh also the smell of hot chicken is rancid too so please stop that.

Please can we shoot all cows as the methane they give off is the most damaging thing on the planet, also please ban alcohol as I get worried when I see a loud mouthed drunk and worry what their intentions are.

Or maybe and this is just a thought, we can realise that all people enjoy different lifestyles and as long as we respect that life will be much more easier and less worrying, I know smoking is bad for me but I enjoy smoking so will continue to, as someone who drinks will continue to drink.

Last edited by dizdazdoz; 10th Mar 2011 10:30am. Reason: spelling
Wiki Guide
Wiki Guide
I think it's a rancid habit, but don't agree with the way it's outlawed as if it's any worse than bingeing on mcdonalds and getting poisoned everynight on alcohol. Nobody is concerned about the effects of those two. Drunken fat barstard.

"C20 LET bang"
Addict
Addict
I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Smokers are a resiliant bunch, tell them they cant smoke indoors, they go outdoors no matter what the weather. But this latest test? The memory test? Lets hope smokers have memories good enough to remember where they always bought their cigarettes before they dissapeared.
This government must be in cloud cuckoo land if they think it's the bright shiney colours behind the counter that encourages people to smoke, yes, people choose a brand they like, it's on taste, strength or affordabillity not a snazzy box design.
Kids on the other hand will smoke whatever they are given by friends, can afford or pilfer from parents. Gradually they will get a taste for a favorite and when they start buying will choose the brand they prefer.
Shopkeepers? If it's to become law, live with it, your sales are not suddenly going to dissapear overnight.

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
If i was a shopkeeper i would put this sign in my window,
I sell cigarettes but i am not allowed to display them, and inside on the counter i would put a sign saying, These are a list of cigarettes I'm not allowed to display. Will they ban something like that?

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.
_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_
Bert Your not aloud a "we sell cigarettes" sign up only aloud a small price list inside the shop.. That's what Granada Reports said..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am